EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Loose shifter lever on transmission shaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tbear640
Mine has always been on the loose side and has a spacer between the shifter lever and the primary where it goes through. I just put a o-ring on before the spacer and shifter arms and this works for quite a few years before I have to replace the o-ring again. This is on a 87 dresser and I have been doing this since 89 when it was bugging me, its a quick and easy fix that costs next to nothing.
Mine came loose again...and even a longer hex bolt did not help keep it tightened....

Your spacer idea sounds like a good temporary fix...I was actually thinking of putting a spacer there too, but couldn't figure out how to make it work...

I am kinda having a difficult time imagining what you are using that won't drop out....what dimensions would you say the spacer is, and what size o-ring? Do you push the shifter lever all the way on, put on a thin o-ring, then a spacer? and what keeps the spacer from falling out?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 AM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 1995 wideglide ape hanger wiring help please!

where does the wire harness come out? where is the harness connector? i have the tank off,the bars on and a new switch and harness installed, i dont want to solder ,i have the pin connectors, what is the part number for the CRIMP TOOL ?

this job is a bitch,any pointers to get at the wire harness in the frame would be helpfull! thank`s Will

Old 05-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

You would be better starting a new thread mate but the connectors you seek should be inside the square section of the frame, access is near the headstock.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer

What could possibly go wrong with this?

I couldn't figure a good way to hold a spacer between the inner primary and the tranny splined shaft that connects to the lever....so I came up with an idea that I hope works until next time I have the tranny or inner primary removed...

I got a rigid conical compression spring from the local Denault Hardware store (similar to Ace)....the i.d. number for the spring was 18642, but I couldn't find it on the internet...it looks like Grainger carries a wide selection online...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/com...thinSearch.y=0

Anyway, it was really a stiff spring but I was able to get it between the inner primary and the inner shift lever, with the large part of the conical spring facing the primary side...now the lever was all the way onto the splined shaft and as close as possible to the tranny housing... I then bolted on a new bolt in the lever.

The small end of the spring did not line up to go around the splined shaft like I had planned...it was offset but I could probably make it work there if this doesn't work out...it seems there was more surface area to hold it where it is right now.

I'll see if it works out and for how long...I guess the spring could pop out ...or it might break but it is pretty heavy duty so I think that would take some time...I guess it could scratch or etch the back of the inner primary...or scratch the lever, which is no big deal since it needs replaced anyway, and is hidden behind the primary.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Gimp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a tip from 1973 (or thereabouts). Cut a strip from a beer can, wrap it around the shaft and use a rubber mallet to reinstall the shift lever.

I'm old, not smart...but this did work for me, so well I never had to even think of it again 'til I read your post just now.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:25 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to this post being brought back from the past, I was able to find my own loose tranny shift lever and fix it before it lead to more problems later. Great info in this thread!

Old 06-05-2012, 03:02 AM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gimp
Here's a tip from 1973 (or thereabouts). Cut a strip from a beer can, wrap it around the shaft and use a rubber mallet to reinstall the shift lever.

I'm old, not smart...but this did work for me, so well I never had to even think of it again 'til I read your post just now.
I'll need to try that if my MacGyver spring doesn't work out...

I think someone else mentioned a strip from a can too so it must work.

Just curious how the strip doesn't just bend and crush when you tap on the lever...it seems splines need to be stripped down enough so there is room to get it between the splined shaft and the hole in the lever, but I don't think mine is that worn....yet.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:47 PM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
http://betterlever.com/

A friend of mine used one of these and was really pleased.

I just bought one of these. It's the only way to really fix this problem. Hard to believe Harley hasn't improved the design in all these years.