Carb vs f.i.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Carb vs f.i.

Hey fellas,

I was looking at a '98 road glide with an Evo, natch, and I am wondering about the fuel injected variety. Have a S&S super E and I love it on my Softail but the RG had the f.i. I don't want to change it if I can buy the bike but I would like to hear this forum's thoughts on the issue no matter how anecdotal. I have seen some people claim it is easy to remove FI and installation carb but I'm sure it truly ain't with dash lights and the like...
Thanks again!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 438 Likes on 252 Posts

Well if it was me I would ditch the EFI and put it back to a carby as I don't like the lack of tuneability nor the power delivery on the EFI bikes. With a Thunderheart or similar set up you can have the best of both worlds, hook up the ign to the thunderheart and leave the rest working the little dash lights.

Or.....you can just wire up the carby ignition parallel to the existing wiring

Or....throw away all the dash lights and stuff, get an aftermarket or earlier dash and maybe even an earlier wiring loom......more than one way to skin a cat these days and the joy is....you can take your time as the bike is running as it is so you can do the research and source the parts.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:07 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So, as someone who refuses to own anything but an Evo and just happened accross a '95 Ultra Classic EFI, I'll give you the opinion I have quickly developed after the 300mi I have put on it.. It will fire right up, no hessitation, no choke, no backfire, no character flaws so far.. Pretty cool. However, I have to actively tell myself to WAIT until it gets a little heat built up to avoid hopping on it cold and blowing a gasket.. It is that easy to start.. Now, it is not very tunable, from what I have read. Mine has been upgraded with the '98 module which is more forgiving and programable but I have no real plans at the momoent to mess with it. The bike, is stock except for pipes and air cleaner and runs surprisingly well for what I intend it to be. It is my highway bike, mainly for work transportation.. I have my little hot rod parked next to it for weekend trips and the plan it to leave the Ultra alone.. The absoloute BIGGEST complaint I have about it is the sound.. Its idle is soooo smooth that it sounds like an EFI Twinkie... I just hate it!! But, I'm trying to get used to it.. If I was looking for a bike, it would be a carbureted model, but wouldnt turn down a good deal on an EFI if you just want transportation, at this point, carb is just more forgiving and adjustable in the HD world.. Just have to realize, you wont be getting that "potato-potato-potato" idle with EFI.....

Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 AM
unnnivers
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi!
I'm in the same position, thinking to converse EFI to carb on my '96EG. Look at the thread I found on another site

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...onversion.html

Old 06-07-2012, 06:16 AM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for the information Spanners. I think that it actually may be doable. I really like my sortie but this RT is speaking to me now and I may just pull the trigger. Of course I would have to find a new job to have 2to bikes.
HIM, thanks for the real world info as that is exactly what I want,, my station wagon parked next to my hot rod. With the apes on the softail anything over 60 is killer on the highways as I feel I am just fighting it. I want the bagger for 2up and going to and from work. Of course I'll just pull out the credit card and buy a bad dad rear setup and seriously need a 2nd job. Lol

Old 06-07-2012, 07:37 AM
jokenroll
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My vote is always for a carb. If you start playing with pipes on EFI bike - u r screwed. And it does sound very wrong! Conversion is easy and there are plenty of good carb setup possibilities...

Old 06-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Bleachey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't argue with the comments about carbed bikes having a better sound, but having said that I love my EFI. Haven't had issues with her, "knock on wood". I have almost 44k on the clock. You do have to wait a couple seconds before starting, but then I don't have to let her warm up for five minutes, even in cold weather. I'm not a hot rod type of rider so I can't speak to performance, but I have no complaints for how I ride her, to and from work, and cruising with the wife on weekends. No issues keeping pace with my twinkie friends, great MPG, almost 50 even two up on the highway.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:58 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

I will also say that the EFI bikes are fine as long as you don't play with them too much. The delivery system is set for the cam, pistons, and compression that came with the bike. Mine is dependable at 22,000 miles. I do let her warm up a bit before taking off so as not to blow out the base gaskets, but I could ride off as soon as she fired up if I wanted to. Don't be afraid of no EFI.

As far as the 1998 RG, you have a lot going on there. First year model for the RG. Last year of the EVO engine on a touring platform.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 PM
JohnFlorida
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

98 had a magnetti efi . Lots of problems but work great if you can get it dialed in

Old 06-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Cleetussnow
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my '98 RKC with EFI just fine. I have rebuilt the motor and new cam with true duals, and left the EFI in. This EFI is more progammable than older ones, so a dynatek 2000 works great.

I considered going carb, but it is a can of worms for me at least.

Quick Reply: Carb vs f.i.