EVO All Evo Model Discussion

hard starting when cold

Old 01-05-2010, 12:32 AM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey moog, now its starting to come back to me, you're right, haven't used that info in quite awhile. Thanks for the refresher course. Now I can get a good nites sleep.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:34 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

agree, the engines with carbs, at least all the ones ive had, also have a separate cam lope on the opposite of the carb and a fast idle adjustment. thats why they, well mine, start and as they warm up the idle starts getting higher and higher. kinda of makes sense to me now. the choke restricts air flow therefore enriching the mixture. i guess. hey it works and thats good. thinking about the fact that S&S found a way to eliminated the choke is a good thing. less restriction in the throttle body and two fewer screws to worry about being sucked into the engine. sorry to hear you had to sell your stang wideglide95th. i cant sell mine, its one of the most dependable cars ive ever owned. played hell for 8 years keeping a porsche 924 running for the wife. worse car i ever owned. funny, kept it running for 8 years, sold it, next day the guy blew a hea gasket, he fixed it, traded it in, they sold it, those people drove it for a month, think its in the wrecking yard now. good riddens. the one big point i have always heard about the S&S carb is that there the one to have. really easy to work on. nice to be able to drop the bowl and clean it out along the side of the road.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HSR40 or 42 Mikuni is THE carb to have. (I like SU's, but then, I'm weird.)

Old 01-05-2010, 08:11 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It has been said that if you can't explain something simply, you don't understand it well enough. Moog, your reply was simple and direct. Not trying to blow sunshine up your butt, but I understood what you were talking about. Sometimes when I have a problem it does actually keep me awake until I figure it out. Thanks.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want to get insomnia, try and figure out why ope.... Nah, I'm not gonna do it to ya! {The physics are a bitch and words like enthalpy, entropy and hysterisis come into play in the explanation. Makes my head hurt to recall it!}

Old 01-06-2010, 08:07 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moog Player
You want to get insomnia, try and figure out why ope.... Nah, I'm not gonna do it to ya! {The physics are a bitch and words like enthalpy, entropy and hysterisis come into play in the explanation. Makes my head hurt to recall it!}
Hysteresis! Brings back old memories from physics class... in fact, hysteresis is a phenomenon having to do with with "memory" effects within a system. It's from the latin "hyster", meaning womb... which explains why women NEVER forget it when we screw up! The world makes sense if you know physics!