EVO All Evo Model Discussion

chaging the fuel filter in the gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:02 PM
96 Ultra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahahahaha... Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

The screen at the bottom of the fuel pump is not the filter.
The filter is about 1/2 the size of a beer can.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:23 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,688 Likes on 852 Posts

[QUOTE The filter is about 1/2 the size of a beer can.
Now that pinpoints what an EFI fuel filter looks like, any biker can find it

Old 01-16-2010, 09:24 PM
96 Ultra
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Now that pinpoints what an EFI fuel filter looks like, any biker can find it
Well I did give detailed instructions how to extract it from inside the fuel tank... If they still can't find it, then maybe they should just bring it to some over priced dealer to replace it.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:50 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

I wouldn't even bother messing with the filter. Chances are....they are super clean anyways. I don't clean or look at them on my bikes.....and never ever had a fuel related problem in correlation with that filter.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:53 PM
96 Ultra
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EVOrider
I wouldn't even bother messing with the filter. Chances are....they are super clean anyways. I don't clean or look at them on my bikes.....and never ever had a fuel related problem in correlation with that filter.
Really....

I bet you believe that its unnecessary to replace the fuel filter in a car too.

You are sadly mistaken if you think these gas stations have filters on the gas pumps. I drive for a living and you would not believe some of the garbage I have seen in my primary fuel filter system in my truck.

Let me just say this... It felt like I added 20 HP or more when I replaced the fuel filter. How many hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars have you spent just to add 10 hp to your scoot like pipes, fuel computer, carbs, ect...

These evos with EFI engines have a filter inside the tank that needs to be replaced every 20K - 25k miles. If nothing else, remove the filter and replace it with one that is better accessible, but just because you don't see the garbage doesn't mean you don't have a problem.

Here is the link from my thread that involved my fuel & Temp sensor issue. Scroll have way down and you will see what the gas looked like that I dumped out of the filter, not the tank...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...m-efi-evo.html

Old 01-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Good post 96. I would like to add that HD recommends using new screws w/ seals when replacing the panel on top of the tank.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:55 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by 96 Ultra
Really....

I bet you believe that its unnecessary to replace the fuel filter in a car too.

You are sadly mistaken if you think these gas stations have filters on the gas pumps. I drive for a living and you would not believe some of the garbage I have seen in my primary fuel filter system in my truck.

Let me just say this... It felt like I added 20 HP or more when I replaced the fuel filter. How many hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars have you spent just to add 10 hp to your scoot like pipes, fuel computer, carbs, ect...

These evos with EFI engines have a filter inside the tank that needs to be replaced every 20K - 25k miles. If nothing else, remove the filter and replace it with one that is better accessible, but just because you don't see the garbage doesn't mean you don't have a problem.

Here is the link from my thread that involved my fuel & Temp sensor issue. Scroll have way down and you will see what the gas looked like that I dumped out of the filter, not the tank...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...m-efi-evo.html
Many current cars have their fuel filters in the tanks.....I'm not about to drop a tank from a car just to check/clean/replace the fuel filter. If I am having fuel related problems....then sure. When cars and trucks had carburetors....they had the filter screwed into the carburetor. No problem replacing that! I own several Ford Rangers, F-150's, F-350's, and several Silverados. All of the vehicles have 160,000 mile plus on them and 2004 newer. One of the trucks even has 275,000 miles. They've never had a fuel related problem.....and never replaced/cleaned a fuel filter on them. All the trucks run just fine as well.

I've not added thousands of dollars to get extra hp. All my bikes are stock 80 EVO engine. One bike has the Super E, another has the stock carburetor on it, and the EFI has never been remapped either. All bikes have slipon for exhaust the EFI model has the stock exhaust on it. Far from thousands of dollars spent for hp. The bikes have never had a fuel related problem. Not to mention one of the bikes is fairly high mileage.

Diesel engines though....I promise the fuel filter does get changed.

Take it or leave it.....just speaking from my experience. Granted, everyones experience varies as well.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:09 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replace the fuel filter for a friend of mine who had a 04 Roadking with about 64000 miles on the original filter. About two weeks later he came over to the house and said the bike was running great, but the bike was using alot more gas than before. I'd be willing to bet his fuel flow was reduced by about 25% with the old filter. Also it makes the fuel pump work much harder and shorten it's life.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOrider
.just speaking from my experience. Granted, everyones experience varies as well.
It only takes one tank of really crappy gas.............you´ve been lucky.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 PM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I haven't had time to do the swap out on the filter, but Beemervet thanks for mentioning the seal and screws I'll pick those up, I've had the mother in law visiting for a week now.

Quick Reply: chaging the fuel filter in the gas tank