EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Massive oil puke.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:18 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Massive oil puke.

I need help on this one guys. I was chasing down a rattle last night. One of thoese funny new rattles you mysteriously get when you add a windshiled and can suddenly HEAR your bike at 80 MPH. Well, the rattle just turned out to be the new lower belt guard. Anyways...on to the oil puke. I had the bike jacked up on my floor jack so it was balancing to the left on the kickstand. So it was leaning un-naturally hard to the left. Far more than if it was just on the kickstand. I was briefly reving the motor to about 3K looking for that rattle when all the sudden between the primary and tranny, oil came puking out. The second I let off the gas it stopped and I have not been able (or willing) to repeat it. For the life of me I can't tell its its engine, tranny or primary fluid, but I would "guess" primary or tranny. Any idea what it was, what the heck I did or what, if anything, I should do? The bikes a 1996 Low Rider.

Thanks, Neil

Old 01-16-2010, 09:45 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,627 Likes on 842 Posts

I would head towards the trans breather tube, my RK tube drains onto the back side of the inner primary and open area to the ground, the trans fluid probaly overflowed the breather hole with the bike leaned over and gears turning. My trans spued oil once when really cold outside and I know the feeling your talking about.

Find that breather tube on top of the trans and look for the oil trail.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure I'd make a habit of the heavy leaning kickstand trick.

Disaster avoidance, it is not! LOL

Old 01-16-2010, 10:00 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like the breather to me... My bike had done it before.. I ran a new breather hose up, under the seat. Not a problem since.. Another thing I ran into was, sometimes, while washing or riding in alot of rain, I got some water in the trans because of that short, forward facing breather hose..

Old 01-16-2010, 10:07 AM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Smell the oil the came out. If it smells like gear lube, it is the trans. If it smell like burnt gear oil, it is the primary. If it smells like motor oil, it is probably your engine oil breather dripped out of your air cleaner and puddled in a cavity, then flowed out as the bike was leaning.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:29 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

OK, much thanks guys. I really think its tranny oil from the breather. I was just in the garage wiping everything down and thats the only oil stain I can find. The bikes old but really doesn't leak a drop. Till I do dumb a$$ $hit. Thanks for the fast replies.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:49 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess I have a hard time seeing leaning more than on the jiffy stand, and spitting fluid, and the cases aren't close to touching? Maybe I've had too many cc and water. Evidently this doesn't happen during your normal rides? Not trying to start anything, just have a hard time seeing it in my mind.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:28 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check your trans oil level before you ride again!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:35 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
I guess I have a hard time seeing leaning more than on the jiffy stand, and spitting fluid, and the cases aren't close to touching? Maybe I've had too many cc and water. Evidently this doesn't happen during your normal rides? Not trying to start anything, just have a hard time seeing it in my mind.
No man, not starting a thing. I foolishly jacked up the bike so it was balancing on the kickstand, front tire and floorjack with the back tire well off the ground. Hence the big lean. I did this so I could start the bike and still get a good looksy under the bike at what might have been rattleing. It was idleing fine, but as soon as I rev'ed her up the oil came puking out! Live and learn.

Yeah hatchetman, the tranny was a tad low.