EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1987 FLHTC Ignition switch removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 04:35 PM
gnafin
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1987 FLHTC Ignition switch removal

ok i am going to try to get a 1987 inner and outer fairing to fit on my 1984 FLHTC.....but how do i remove the **** off of the Ignition switch?

Old 01-17-2010, 07:21 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,675 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Remove the outer fairing, unlock the switch. On the front of the switch body down under the inner fairing, there is a pin mounted on the front side of the switch. Pull gently on it while pushing down on the switch ****. The pin will then pull out slightly and then pull up on the **** - comes right off. There is a nut under the **** sorta like an antenna nut on a car. Pliers of most any sort will turn it off just fine. Switch comes out the bottom but you usually have to remove the inner fairing to get it out.

PS - the switch has to be in one of the "on" positions (run, lights or acc) to allow it to release

Last edited by t150vej; 01-17-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:45 PM
gnafin
Tourer

Originally Posted by t150vej
Remove the outer fairing, unlock the switch. On the front of the switch body down under the inner fairing, there is a pin mounted on the front side of the switch. Pull gently on it while pushing down on the switch ****. The pin will then pull out slightly and then pull up on the **** - comes right off. There is a nut under the **** sorta like an antenna nut on a car. Pliers of most any sort will turn it off just fine. Switch comes out the bottom but you usually have to remove the inner fairing to get it out.

PS - the switch has to be in one of the "on" positions (run, lights or acc) to allow it to release
cool i will try that.... ya i just have to remove the **** so i can add a newer fairing..

Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 PM
perpulreaper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lets see some pics

guess you changed your mind on the radio caddy you got on ebay like mine

Old 01-18-2010, 10:44 PM
gnafin
Tourer

Originally Posted by perpulreaper
lets see some pics

guess you changed your mind on the radio caddy you got on ebay like mine
ya, i got a complete fairing setup for 130.... with all the mounts... so i might try this...

Old 01-23-2010, 06:36 PM
gnafin
Tourer

Originally Posted by gnafin
ya, i got a complete fairing setup for 130.... with all the mounts... so i might try this...
now i have to find out hot to work up the gages that are on the fairing...
and what kind of radio to go with...

Old 09-08-2021, 03:06 PM
Crash_1050
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the "pin" I keep reading about actually the screw on the front side of the switch under the stereo?
I'm asking this because I have the same ignition switch problem as the OP.
any help yall could provide would be much appreciated

Last edited by Crash_1050; 09-08-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:15 PM
Crash_1050
1st Gear

is the "pin" I keep reading about actually the screw on the front side of the switch under the stereo?
I'm asking this because I have the same ignition switch problem as the OP.
any help yall could provide would be much appreciated

Old 09-08-2021, 03:45 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,675 Likes on 1,094 Posts

NO. That's the fork lock. (I somewhat made a mistake on that antique earlier post you quoted)

So, precisely what year and model bike are you working on?

Old 09-08-2021, 04:07 PM
Crash_1050
1st Gear

1986 flhtc Electra Glide

Quick Reply: 1987 FLHTC Ignition switch removal