EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Who says you cant put a 6 speed in a 86 FXR? I DID!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:33 PM
dragpipe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4000sq ft machine shop! in texas? are you hiring?????
i'll give you my sporty!

Old 03-24-2010, 12:42 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish!! Like everything else in this economy its enough just to get the money to pay the bills... Imagine electric bills that only dip to $1k a month in the winter months...(less work, and no AC running...)

Old 03-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Hey TX,
Will a 5 speed Sporty transmission fit in a 4 speed Sporty case? And I wuz wonderin'... Those Blasts are 5 speed, right? and basically a Sportster, so would a 5 speed Blast transmission fit in a 4 speed Sportster case? You can get the Blasts for little or nothing, probably cheaper than any kit.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:05 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Hey TX,
Will a 5 speed Sporty transmission fit in a 4 speed Sporty case? And I wuz wonderin'... Those Blasts are 5 speed, right? and basically a Sportster, so would a 5 speed Blast transmission fit in a 4 speed Sportster case? You can get the Blasts for little or nothing, probably cheaper than any kit.
You know i probly wouldnt be the best person to ask about that. The ironhead guys would know more than me. I do know that the 5 speeds that run belt drive wouldnt drop in cause the 4 speeds are chain drive. Yeah, i picked up a running, riding buell blast for $300 awhile back. They are basically a sporty engine with the back cylinder cut off. I actually parted everything out for twice that and kept the engine. Worth more dead than alive... Haha.
But yeah, the blast tranny will fit in any sporty.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

The belt drive 5 speeds and the chain drive 4 speeds are not that different. When we got Dr.Linda's bike, it came with a chain. We burned the chain up before we got it home to Texas (~6K miles). I was going to buy a Primo, I think, belt drive for it, but it took a bunch of work like spreading out the swingarm, longer axle, etc. Then just as I was about to pull the trigger on it, HD came out with a belt drive kit for five bills with everything you need, so I did that instead. The only thing that had to be changed on the cases was one hole had to be countersunk a little bit and they gave you the mill bit to do it with.

This blast was cool:

Old 03-25-2010, 09:46 AM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
The belt drive 5 speeds and the chain drive 4 speeds are not that different. When we got Dr.Linda's bike, it came with a chain. We burned the chain up before we got it home to Texas (~6K miles). I was going to buy a Primo, I think, belt drive for it, but it took a bunch of work like spreading out the swingarm, longer axle, etc. Then just as I was about to pull the trigger on it, HD came out with a belt drive kit for five bills with everything you need, so I did that instead. The only thing that had to be changed on the cases was one hole had to be countersunk a little bit and they gave you the mill bit to do it with.

This blast was cool:
The only thing i would be worried about would be the inside of the tranny case versus how the gears sit. Im pretty sure the mainshaft and countershaft havent changed where they sit in the case but im not sure with the extra gear how much room is inside the case. I would definately say its do-able though.

Im actually building a blast chopper right now(as money permits anyway...)
No downtube, exposed backbone(boardtracker style), etc...

Old 02-04-2011, 06:09 PM
badogsam
Stage II
Default What all did you have to do? Yes I would like to see pics

Originally Posted by texas_speed_freak
Just got done putting a 6 speed Ultima Transmission in a 86 FXR. Anyone who has a classic model Evo knows they dont sell a 6 speed conversion for these bikes. Not one to listen to the old "it wont fit" jargon i made it work. Put one made for a 90-97 Big Twin in there. Two things to remember when putting one in a FXR or FLT is you have to do a little massaging to the transmission case and because the 90 and later clutch hubs are splined versus the pre 90 tapered shaft so you have to switch to a late model clutch hub.

Everything else fit right in including the trap door with no modification. The customer is very happy with the deal especially since he was out the door Cheaper than buying all new parts to fix his antiquated 5 speed.

Ill post pics up if anyone is interested.
what did you have to do to make it fit into case? I know that there is a plate that bolts to the front of the case. I bought a 6 speed tranny gear set and was hitting case in the area where plate bolts to the case. The plate I am talking about connects tranny to the back of the motor.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:11 PM
badogsam
Stage II

Can you tell me what you did or show with pics

Old 02-04-2011, 06:44 PM
1990FXR
Advanced

Originally Posted by dragpipe
can you turn my 75 ironhead into a 6 gear beast? that would be impressive.
man id love to do that to my 75 ironhead as well........

75-80 mph on that thing is a whole lot of racket

Old 02-04-2011, 07:30 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this thread is a year old, maybe the op isn't around to answer questions. try pm-ing him

Quick Reply: Who says you cant put a 6 speed in a 86 FXR? I DID!!