Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:25 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr1986FLST
Try running with no oil and see if your problem goes away

ok....bad joke....don't do that

Just throwing something out there since I am no engine expert...but if the timing mark on the breather gear is not properly matched to the cam gear, could that throw things off enough to cause your problem? Maybe if the cam was replaced it wasn't lined up right when reasembled...just reaching because I replaced cam recently and could see how that could easily be misaligned.
I covered that one already:

Originally Posted by TerryFXST
So, I bought an S&S reed valve to replace the stock plastic breather. That didn’t help.
The reed valve eliminates the need for timing. See? This thing is possessed!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:54 PM
the_ogre25
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When You had the rocker covers off did you check the drain tubes in the cylinders? You said you enlarged the drain whole but something might be partially plugging the return tubes. I do not know how you would go about clearing them other then pulling the nose cone and maybe running a brush or something down them.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:41 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell you what, I changed out my cam and installed new lifters and rods last Christmas, buttoned everything up and filled her with Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 that i got on sale. I then started seeing leaks where I NEVER had them before... including the rocker covers (which I didn't even touch) and from somewhere else (not the lifter blocks or rods) that is causing the right side of Bertha's engine to get misted up with oil after about an hour of riding (seems like the breather is the culprit), but it also looks like some of it is coming from, of all places, the top corner of the cam chest cover (which I DID have off, but put back on with a new H-D gasket and properly torqued bolts).

I am running just the standard breather gear - but I would think that the S&S reed breather you have would pretty much prevent oil puking... weird. Maybe something has gotten into your oil returns or return line.

OR, maybe Mobil 1 V-Twin oil is possessed... Bertha doesn't seem to like it at all! She hasn't actually puked any of it out, but she's leaking like a sieve from multiple places running that stuff. I ran dino and AMSOil MCV for 3 years and never had any of these leaks before. You might want to drain your oil and go get some dino and see if that helps! You may think I'm joking but I'm not... and I'm getting rid of the Mobil 1 and going back to dino for awhile to see what happens... I'm sure getting tired of all these leaks...

Last edited by NorthGeorgiaHawg; 05-23-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:01 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
You might want to drain your oil and go get some dino and see if that helps!
I was running regular dino oil before the Mobil1. I switched to the Mobil1 because I thought the cheap oil might be the problem. So, it's doing it no matter what oil I use.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,754 Likes on 1,082 Posts

How about the valve cover gaskets are installed upside down.

Did you check them.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:46 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Kabear
How about the valve cover gaskets are installed upside down.

Did you check them.
I might need you to expand on that. I'm not sure how that can even be done.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:12 AM
El Dee
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The evel one

Alright my Brother...On your oil level...make sure it isn't higher than the vent or it will head back to the crankcase and cause leakage problems. I know you said it isn't the problem but check it. I have a 98 FXSTS. Got it with 3000 miles and now at 7000. Always looked to weep across the top of the primary drive...During pre-spring tune-up I switched to Red-Line full synthetic 20/50. Primary was now leaking worse so it looked so I put 2 gaskets on and it's worse not better. It's leaking from the LR bottom rocker and dripping to the primary from the coil cover. Only seems to leak when on the kickstand as no oil is blown anywhere. Got an uninstalled Genuine James kit. I've heard of venting issues with EVOs so I investigated and found a kit called "The Cure". Some drill bits and extensions to modify the ports? where they connect with the air filter backing plate. I've got one ordered that should have already been here. I talked with some people who say this will cure the problem. I'm also gonna draw a little oil outta the tank and run 2 3/4 quarts as 3 puts it on top of the vent. I'll let you know the results..

The following users liked this post:
riggpigg (07-27-2019)
Old 05-24-2010, 07:56 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,672 Likes on 1,091 Posts

I think I've read all the posts completely and my compliments on a thorough background of the "problem child." Sounds like you've covered all the common bases.

What happens when there is any restriction in the breathing system, a turbulance is created in the engine which does not allow the oil to drain where and when it should.

The mentioned results of one being overfilled with oil are valid. It's seldom there is a steady stream of return oil going back into the tank. Therefore the tank itself must be allowed to vent same as the crankcases. If nothing more than the oil level above the vent causes a restriction, the pressures go wacky and you already know the results. The oil return from the pump is moving as much air as oil most of the time.

The tank vents thru the cases via a hose connected just inboard and above the oil pump near the rear jug on the right. If there is any restriction in that hose, whether from an overfill condition, kinked or collapsed hose that would be the problem. You've checked everything else and apologies if I missed your saying that's been checked. It could have been connected to the tank on the wrong outlet from the factory. Some of those tanks had the oil return tube terminating much lower inside the tank and the vent connection must be well above the oil level at all times.

That's where I'd turn my attention. And of course, you'll HAVE to change the tiny hose from the air cleaner piping arrangement back to a 3/8, anything less will not allow enough breathing volume.

The umbrella valves in the cover spacers were located nearest the intake, right?

Last edited by t150vej; 05-24-2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: umbrellas
Old 05-24-2010, 08:09 AM
TerryFXST
Road Captain

When I restricted the breather at the air cleaner I got a lot of oil coming out of the oil tank filler neck. I’ve also noticed the oil seems aerated when I check it after riding. Are these things normal and would they be consistent with a kink or restriction in any oil line?

Also, I have run this bike with the oil level BELOW the minimum. Like I said, much lower than I should have. I still got oil out of the breathers. That’s why I’m 100% certain that the oil level is not what is creating my problem.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:20 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,672 Likes on 1,091 Posts

When I restricted the breather at the air cleaner I got a lot of oil coming out of the oil tank filler neck. I’ve also noticed the oil seems aerated when I check it after riding. Are these things normal and would they be consistent with a kink or restriction in any oil line?.
Aerated oil returning is basically normal. But after constant running it shouldn't be foaming, generally speaking. I'd suspect the lack of oil draining back into the camchest (where the pump picks up returning oil) in a consistant amount would be the deal. Again, a result of turbulance in the engine from insufficient breathing (venting).
Also, I have run this bike with the oil level BELOW the minimum. Like I said, much lower than I should have. I still got oil out of the breathers. That’s why I’m 100% certain that the oil level is not what is creating my problem.
Ok, I'll not continue with the overfill condition, but my point was - if the tank vent is restricted at all, for any reason, that will cause a problem like you have now. Everything else has been addressed....

Quick Reply: Undiagnosable EVO Oil Leak