EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Air cleaner and mount for CV carb

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Air cleaner and mount for CV carb

I thought I was going to be able to use my original air cleaner mount and screamin eagle air cleaner with the CV carb I just got to replace the old butterfly carb....but I see that the hole configuration is different.

I don't have the parts breakdown for the newer bikes....does anyone have the part numbers for the newer air cleaner mounting bracket? Or any other suggestions for an air cleaner when swapping to the CV? I have the bottom-breather evo and I am wanting to remount my existing air cleaner cover if possible.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,672 Likes on 1,091 Posts

The cover is different also, MR1986. It has a cutout on the top for the diaphram, and the backing plate has an indention. Yep, the bolt/vent pattern is about backward too. ANY stock air cleaner assembly for a 1340 w/CV will work and the logo inserts are discontinued but can still be found here and there. You can often peel them off (with heat) and re-use them. Do you have the breather still connected to the air cleaner? They only used those a few years with the CV The backing plate part number is: 29134-90 and is discontinued, though I do see some ocassionaly on ebay. Look for the nipple at 7 o'clock for the breather connection and the cutout/indention for the diaphram at the top. All this is assuming you want a stock assembly. The backing plates for the later (top breathers) ae still avaliable and about 65.00 new. Aftermarket and SE assemblys are different backing plates. So most likely you'll need to go with a "top breather" setup and plug the holes on the back of the air filter and use heavy spacers with the existing 5/16 bolts which is what I did. If you went with an SE of whatever, you'd still need the top breather manifold to space the plate away from the engine.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:22 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my Sportster, I found an S&S knock-off on Ebay to fit a CV, that came with a foam filter but accepted a K&N for an S&S. I used a horseshoe breather and "fabbed" an additional mount.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer

Thanks T150 and 96roadking...Looks like I made some wrong assumptions...first I thought the SE version of aircleaner that I already have would have worked ...wrong! ....now I see that I am also mistaking with the cover too

I plan to keep it high-flow so I'll probably look for the SE version or some after market that will accept K&N filters like 96rk suggested.

I now see the cut-outs you are talking about so it makes sense that the old style will not work. So far the replacement part numbers look obsolete so I'll need to watch ebay or go after-market...

And I thought I'd be ready for the weekend...probably not...bummer!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:34 PM
the_ogre25
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

J&P has a knock off of the old screaming eagle air cleaner kit, instead of the support plate it has tabs. You can also use your old cover.

here's a link:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/400-554

Old 06-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer

Thanks ogre...that one looks pretty decent...I am considering it ....

I see the SE one I need is obsolete but the one for '93 to '99 models is still available, 29543-99B. So if I go with the SE I'll need to do what T150 suggested with spacers and plugging any holes on the plate. I already got the manifold...I hope it is the right one...I got 27019-89A...will that work?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:54 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Mr1986FLST
Thanks ogre...that one looks pretty decent...I am considering it ....

I see the SE one I need is obsolete but the one for '93 to '99 models is still available, 29543-99B. So if I go with the SE I'll need to do what T150 suggested with spacers and plugging any holes on the plate. I already got the manifold...I hope it is the right one...I got 27019-89A...will that work?
Manifold is correct so long as you got the flanges with it. I think that JP type setup may be what you want. I was a a bit confused about whether you had/wanted to use the SE type cover or just the element or wanted it to look original. And with those mounting "tabs" you'd simply use shorter bolts and heavy washers to hold them to the heads. The backing plate bolts to them rather than bolts thru the plate itself, like OEM.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer

I was thinking of using my cover to maintain the original look and thought that I could use the K&N filters that I already have. But it looks like if I went with the newer SE kit it comes with it's own filter that is different than the ones I have. And to keep the same look I'd need to spring for a cover that is cut-out like you mention, p/n 29138-91. Right now I have 29136-91.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:47 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Mr1986FLST
I was thinking of using my cover to maintain the original look and thought that I could use the K&N filters that I already have. But it looks like if I went with the newer SE kit it comes with it's own filter that is different than the ones I have. And to keep the same look I'd need to spring for a cover that is cut-out like you mention, p/n 29138-91. Right now I have 29136-91.
I'm not sure about those numbers, but the SE back plates that I've seen use what "looks like" the cover without the cutout or the cutout version turned upside down. The cover center bolt screws into the filter element itself and the element is a lot thicker, holding the cover out further... don't take that to the bank, but maybe get the new plate/element and go from there. Also, looking again at the JP version - it does not appear to come with a back plate (?)

Old 06-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Mr1986FLST
Tourer

The JP version looks like it has the backplate but I think they are just showing it attached to the filter. I was able to download the install instructions from the JP website and it shows the parts breakdown including the backplate.

On the SE version, I could alway check if my original cover would still fit, and get a different cover if it doesn't...but if the filter is deeper as you have seen, I wonder if the filter will be exposed to rain....what cover did you use? Does it cover the whole filter?

Quick Reply: Air cleaner and mount for CV carb