EVO All Evo Model Discussion

6 Gallon Tank on an Evo!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:01 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Default 6 Gallon Tank on an Evo!

Harley introduced their 6 gallon fuel tank in 2008. I haven’t actually done it yet, but this thread is all about my efforts to fit one of these tanks, from a 2009 Road Glide, to my carb Evo FLHS. My choice of tank was simple: this one came along at an attractive price on US Ebay. I live in the UK where recent secondhand parts are rare as hen’s teeth, so I buy a lot of my stuff this way. It has just arrived and other parts I will need are on their way!

Credit goes to two HDF contributors who inspired and helped with their contributions, namely ‘captsam54’ with his thread asking about fitting one of these tanks, also ‘ultralongridesoreass’ for writing about his first-hand experience and has helped via PMs. They provided me with the inspiration to attempt this myself.

Why try this? The attraction is simply an increase in fuel capacity and hence better mileage between fill-ups, giving an improved range for a modern touring bike. For readers who think their bike takes them far enough between stops for gas and coffee, there are some of us who are happy to take a break before we need to refill the tank, also some of us travel in parts of the World where filling stations are either rare, or getting rarer. That first became a critical issue for my wife and I while travelling on this bike across Iowa! Better range is a more desirable thing now than when I bought my bike new 20 years ago.

Last edited by grbrown; 06-20-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:06 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Default What are the Likely Snags?

The most common problem written about is clearance between the new tank and top engine steady, but others I expect to bump into include:
  • Hold down for the rear of tank on frame,
  • Fitting for nose of seat,
  • Fit of nose of old seat over new tank,
  • Provide a working fuel gauge,
  • Does new tank need a balance pipe.

This project will also need rather more than just a tank! There is a different fitting system for the console, so a suitable one of those is also needed, to finish things off. The EFI pump and other associated parts are mounted on a ‘top plate’ that fits into a large hole in the top of the tank, hidden by the console, so a top plate is required, although none of the EFI parts on it are necessary. A sealing ring and locking ring are also required, to seal and secure the top plate in place. For early Evos a different screw-in filler cap is also required. Finally, a suitable fuel tap is needed, to replace the EFI fuel line.

The following is a list of the parts I have identified so far, with their new list prices. I have rounded the figures, rather than try to be precise, just to give an idea of costs. The major items are better sourced secondhand, such as from Ebay (where I bought much of my stuff!).

Item: Approx List Price New
  • Tank (in primer): $720
  • Top Plate: $140
  • Seal & Locking Ring: $20
  • Filler Cap: $20
  • Console Assembly: $350
  • Pingel Fuel Tap: $100
  • Sundry Parts: $50
  • TOTAL: $1,400

Last edited by grbrown; 06-20-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:02 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what the h$ll were you doing in Iowa?

Old 06-20-2010, 06:07 PM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's like you read my mind, Graham. I've been thinking of this myself for a while, especially since I need 94 octane fuel and that gets really rare when I head to the states. I will be following this with much interest. Thanks for taking it on.

Nigel

Old 06-20-2010, 06:12 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm totally with you on the range thing. I have been holding off on repainting my bike for just the same reason. Do I want to upgrade to the larger 5.1 gallon Fatbobs from a WideGlide? I'm starting to think I do. My 4.09 Low Rider tank has never left me stranded and I can go 160 plus without issues, but going 200 might just be a nice "money in the bank" option. I'm just trying to wrap my head around loosing the sleek look of the narrower tank, something I think is less of an issue on the touring sect of Harley's lineup. Oh, the pain of it all!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:18 PM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GR- all you'll have left to do is swap in a 2010 frame and you'll have it all!
In one of the catalogues, Jireh perhaps, they advertise 6 and 7 gallon tanks for the older bikes. Wonder if that would be an easier way to go. Although I have noticed 'easier way' isn't used by you very often.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Jahillsr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys ship your bike here to the states and back when you visit? If you don't mind me asking, how much does that cost? What restrictions would I need to know about to bring an American spec bike across the pond?

<Jim

Originally Posted by shovhd
It's like you read my mind, Graham. I've been thinking of this myself for a while, especially since I need 94 octane fuel and that gets really rare when I head to the states. I will be following this with much interest. Thanks for taking it on.

Nigel

Old 06-20-2010, 09:32 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

man I love my big mama tanks

Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 PM
uncle bo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would like a 6 gallon for my 98 cop bike.don't mind me, but i'm really interested on how you make out with this project.good luck.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:45 PM
I8SMK4U
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a 6 gallon tank from Jireh for $140. Bolts right on when you order the parts for your bike.

Attached Thumbnails 6 Gallon Tank on an Evo!-100_1224.jpg   6 Gallon Tank on an Evo!-read-left-angle-saddle.jpg  

Quick Reply: 6 Gallon Tank on an Evo!