EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Bikers Choice Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:21 PM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bikers Choice Shocks

Anybody used these? They say they are made by Progressive Suspension, but seem alot cheaper.

http://www.jcmotors.com/p-20194-bike...torcycles.aspx

Old 07-15-2010, 05:47 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It says they're on sale (at a great price), but the regular price looks normal for the 412 series shocks.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:46 PM
shovhd
Cruiser

Would the 412's (or these?) be a good and economical upgrade to my stock air shocks? 1988 FLHTP w/tour pack and 2 up.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Absolutely. However, you might want to make sure whether these are the heavy duty or standard 412's and which one you need. I've got the standard and have kept them on the softest preload for about 5 years and 50,000 miles. Don't get heavy duty unless you need them.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I spent long hours researching shocks for my 1990 Glide. I had already tried a premium (at least I thought they were) shock and while they were better, they still didn't cure bottoming out when 2-up. What I concluded is that almost any after-market shock seems to give some improvement for solo riders, but some riders are not happy with them. Almost every brand was found less than perfect, especially 2-up.

So if you ride mostly solo, I would still encourage you to look further afield before settling on a choice. Cheap shocks means cheap ride. If you ride 2-up a lot, I suggest you consider digging deep to get truly good quality shocks.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:02 AM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

to add to the mix, check out IKONSuspension.com
Got some for my WG. They are a step above the old Progressives, few steps above stockers.
They make regular, short, and longer too.
Dave in San Francisco is great to work with, as I've played with mine and spring rates and oil rates...(all weight related issues, ahem)
Maybe not the ultimate, but a upper middle at a good price.

GR can tell you about the ultimate, if you wish.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 AM
shovhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by schwangster
to add to the mix, check out IKONSuspension.com
Got some for my WG. They are a step above the old Progressives, few steps above stockers.
They make regular, short, and longer too.
Dave in San Francisco is great to work with, as I've played with mine and spring rates and oil rates...(all weight related issues, ahem)
Maybe not the ultimate, but a upper middle at a good price.

GR can tell you about the ultimate, if you wish.
Thanks Dale. Where did you get these and how much? It looks like there is a distributor over your way in Nakusp. Is that who you dealt with? I've read Grahams threads on his shocks and they sound great, but $$$$ life is all about compromise.

Nigel

Old 07-18-2010, 10:43 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

If your looking at progressives, they ALSO make better shocks than 412's and 412 knockoffs branded under a different name. Progressive makes a ton of models that are allot better than 412's. I went threw 3 sets of 412's till I gave up on them. I bought 440's and even sent them back to Progressives custom shop for the once over, but finally got decent shocks on my bike. Look at the 418's, 430's and 440's if progressives are the brand you want. I can tell you from my personal experiences as well as reading many, MANY post on this forum, that if you buy cheap shocks, you get cheap shocks....and you won't be happy.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 07-18-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run those specials and agree with MP, NO NOT get the higher spring rate. When I Totally rebuilt the 93 FXLR in December, I bought a set of Progressive 418's in billet alumium with black springs with the lower spring rate. Could not be happier and the adjustable rebound is a plus. Much better that the 412's and more clearance between the shock and the belt guard. I weight 175 and am on the lowest shock setting with the rebound set at #3.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:00 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Just got a set of these from Drag Specialties to replace the 11" Progressives on the WG. Bought the 12" heavy duty version. I set them full stiff for 2-up and the ride is so much better my wife even noticed. Down 1 notch for 1-up is good. Solved my clearance problems on the belt/belt guard. Now how long they last is another question but for now they solved my rear suspensin problems. Paid $244 inc tax from Bikers Alley in Riverside. He sent his driver to pick them up for me on a Friday afternoon so I could put them on in time for a Saturday ride. Good guy.

Quick Reply: Bikers Choice Shocks