EVO All Evo Model Discussion

97 EVO jackshaft removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 AM
fondew1@verizon.net
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 EVO jackshaft removal

A few weeks ago I starter havin starter problems.. grinding,spinning and eventually just solenoid engage and starter spin but not turnin motor at all. I pulled the primary cover and when I hit the starter the pinion gear pops out and engages clutch but will not turn it but the starter motor is runnin. So I pull the jackshaft bolt pinion gear and hardware. Removed the starter and the jackshaft coupling and all looks to be ok. Now my problem is I cant get the jackshaft and its primary coupling out and from what i've read the clutch needs to be pulled and I want no parts of this!!! The splines on the jackshaft seem to be worn away,just judgin by feel cause I cant see them.But I see a retaining ring in the coupling in primary case,if I pull this ring can i pull the jackshaft straight out? It should clear the clutch cause the coupling just barely hits it. If pullin the clutch is the only way out...? Horrible design!!! Any help appreciated!!

Rich

Old 08-13-2010, 06:34 PM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think that 97 is much different than the early 90's. Clutch has to come out. Not a terrible design, but simply the clutch has to come off first. Not a big job, on the early 90's I'm familiar with you don't need to take the clutch apart, it cam come out in one piece. I'm guessing that you could probably leave the compensator on the bike and just remove the clutch hub nut. You may be able to just get enough room to get the jackshaft out. The snap ring you are seeing is part of the jackshaft.

Attached Thumbnails 97 EVO jackshaft removal-bothbikes.jpg  
Old 08-13-2010, 07:01 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,683 Likes on 850 Posts

Clutch needs to come off, remove the snap ring off the clutch adjustment plate and a nut behind the plate that removes the complete clutch assembly, it is straight splines and SHOULD slide off. You will have to remove the primary chain adjuster and that my give you enough room to slide the clutch hub out and sneak the jackshaft coupler out, if not, you will need to remove the front compensator pulley to slide the clutch off.

Pay atttention to the coupler while removing it, the internal snap ring inside the couple is offset and can cause some problems if put back in wrong.

I can't remember if the threads on the clutch assembly is right or left hand threads, maybe someone here can help you out.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Clutch hub is left hand thread (at least it is on my '94).

Old 08-16-2010, 10:34 AM
fondew1@verizon.net
Stage IV
Question Its the starter!!! DUH!

After all the jackshaft talk it turns out its the starter..I didn't realize there was a clutch in it...lol Anyone know where I can get just the clip that goes under the jackshaft bolt? The one with the tit on it that goes into the slot on end of jackshaft. Its not on mine and I didnt break it off so it was workin fine that way before. Should I be concerned bout it? Will it spin bolt out without it?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:43 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The dealer should have it.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:19 PM
fondew1@verizon.net
Stage IV
Default Stealer?? No way

$250 at dealer...just bought a chrome 1.4KW starter on ebay for 100 bucks one year warranty