EVO All Evo Model Discussion

battery relocation

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 05:41 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
Graham - what's under the seat on your '91 FLHS that might be in the way of moving the battery under there?
There's the ignition module for the S&S engine, an alarm system module, our intercom module, a couple of extra relays for extra stuff and a thick bunch of wiring connecting all those things together! It might be possible to get a battery in there, by rearranging things, but I would like a close look at a bike that has been modified to get it in, to see what is involved.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 PM
broke c7
Tourer
Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by brwdarr
thanks. that is just what I was looking for. I also think that the newer bags are nicer. did you have any problems rerouting the battery cables? also, did the new bags mount to the original hardware, or did you have to modified them to fit?
nope, I used the original positive cable and made a new negative cable. If i remeber right, it was only because the cable was in bad shape. No big deal really. The 93 bags fit faily well. I had to cut a bit of the battery box so it would fit. I also had to make new mounting brackets. It was just drilling and bending some flat stock in a vice. When I got it close, I used washers to space the bag out. the 93 bag sits out further than the 89 did so the brackets are an inch or so further out from the frame. You also have to cut the filler panel that goes around the battery. I just cut it in front of the bag and put some edging on it. The one other thing I did was move the front rubber mount on the right bag back a bit so it landed on the saddlebag support. It was fairly easy to do with minimal tools.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 AM
brwdarr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks. alot of good info there. I guess all I need to do now is find me some bags and get with it.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:25 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by broke c7
nope, I used the original positive cable and made a new negative cable. If i remeber right, it was only because the cable was in bad shape. No big deal really. The 93 bags fit faily well. I had to cut a bit of the battery box so it would fit. I also had to make new mounting brackets. It was just drilling and bending some flat stock in a vice. When I got it close, I used washers to space the bag out. the 93 bag sits out further than the 89 did so the brackets are an inch or so further out from the frame. You also have to cut the filler panel that goes around the battery. I just cut it in front of the bag and put some edging on it. The one other thing I did was move the front rubber mount on the right bag back a bit so it landed on the saddlebag support. It was fairly easy to do with minimal tools.
Some pics of your battery and saddlebag mods would be very interesting! Next time you have a camera in your hand....

Old 08-31-2010, 03:55 AM
brwdarr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Some pics of your battery and saddlebag mods would be very interesting! Next time you have a camera in your hand....

I would agree.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:50 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

broke c7 I was just reading up on the modifications you did and if your still around would be real interested in seeing some pics.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
broke c7 I was just reading up on the modifications you did and if your still around would be real interested in seeing some pics.
Could start an Evo revolution! I just watched a pair of near new bags go on Ebay at a surprisingly good price, here in the UK.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 PM
broke c7
Tourer
Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
Well i am here but my bike is in storage. I have to fix a few things this spring, so I will try and take some photos when I have it home. Of course, now I will have to paint the parts so they look pretty. I had made them and installed them and it was spring so they never got painted. Heck, they are hidden anyway.

I just put the 2000 and up front calipers on it before I parked it. they seem a lot mor controllable than the stock '89 ones.

I have a klock werks ergo handlebar I want to get on this spring, but I have to figure out where to put the air resevoir for the anti-dive which is currently in the original handle bars.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

broke c7, we'll be lookin' over your shoulder, when your bike is out of storage!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:05 PM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done some research on this topic. I was looking to upgrade my starter and clutch to a 1990+ and I found that the frame didn't change right up to 1998. Here are some pics to compare:

and here is a 93 flht battery tray:

My thought was that, if I wanted, I could swap out the inner, outer primary, clutch, tranny with the oil bag in the bottom, battery tray under the seat, '93+ bags. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm gathering the parts a bit at a time. I also want to do the 6 gal fuel tank swap (how is that coming along, Graham?), swingarm and wheel swap as well.

The following users liked this post:
Kyle Oden Patrick Hanson (03-08-2017)

Quick Reply: battery relocation