EVO All Evo Model Discussion

FXR riders

Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's few favs

Attached Thumbnails FXR riders-fxr.jpg   FXR riders-fxrtbl2.jpg   FXR riders-fxrt81.jpg   FXR riders-fxrp-.jpg   FXR riders-fxrt.jpg  

Old 09-07-2010, 08:36 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

I saw this CL ad a while back, looks nice.

http://mankato.craigslist.org/mcy/1895261915.html

Old 09-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck to you alkay. It took me months to find the right one to get back on a FXR. And it was worth every minute IMO. I don't know where you are, but here is one in New Hampshire - looks pretty unmolested. http://hdmotorcyclesforsale.com/SingleAd.aspx?id=3040

oops Mass/Rhode Island

Old 09-08-2010, 09:38 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

WOW both of the above bikes are nice.

It amazes me that there are so many seriously screwed-up turds in the $5000-6000 range, but for only another grand or 1500 you can have a really clean, unmolested ride. It would take more than a grand just to undo the damage that some of the "customizers" have caused.
I'm few months away from having the cash to buy another bike, witch will put me into a wrong time of year to be buying one. I just might have to wait till this time next year.
Also, I've been checking out craigs list for SF Bay area and there a lot of FXRs there on regular basis. Most of them look like club bikes and are set up well. I'm not afraid of high milege as long as bike was built right and maintained well. Actually I prefer a "ridden hard and well loved" over something that sits for months on end and gets ridden 1000mi a year....

Old 09-13-2010, 08:12 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I started looking for an FXR, I found most of them to be too "customized" for my taste. Some were well done, others were hack jobs. In the 90s especially, the FXRs were subjected to the customizing excesses of the period...front air dams, splashy paint and tons of ugly (and now dated looking) billet bolt-on accessories.
When I lived in the SF bay area during that time, the FXR club bikes were sleek and devoid of stupid frills. That's what I wanted. Long story semi-short, moved to Florida and then to Minnesota. Found my FXRS about 5 miles from my house at a dealership. 1985, totally stock and unmolested. It sat on the floor a long time. Newbies didn't know what it was. No one wanted an old EVO. Even the paint is original and perfect. The Vance and Hines power pipe and Progressive shocks were the only deviations from stock. Bike had 66K miles, the original motor rebuilt at the factory 11K miles ago when I bought it.
It runs and shifts great and I don't have to spend a ton of money reversing someone else's misguided "improvements". My only planned changes are heavier fork oil/springs and maybe a brake upgrade. The picture was taken at the dealership. The windshield is long gone. I've had 3 shovels, an XLCH and an '85 EVO FXSB (which I still regret selling), but this 25 year old FXRS is the most fun bike I've ever had. I LOVE EVOs and FXRs!

Last edited by warrconn; 09-13-2010 at 08:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CheefASRC (03-22-2017)
Old 09-13-2010, 09:53 PM
skullhead
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is one I really like....

Old 09-14-2010, 01:15 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
here's few favs
A Twinkie motor in an old style FXRT? Never seen that before!Looks like A LOT of fun!!! (Don't get me wrong,I love my evo,miss my 86 FXR, but WOW!)

Old 09-14-2010, 10:29 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Brettfullthrottle
A Twinkie motor in an old style FXRT? Never seen that before!Looks like A LOT of fun!!! (Don't get me wrong,I love my evo,miss my 86 FXR, but WOW!)
My bro-in-law has a stock '89 FXRS 80in Evo with just Screamin Chicken carb and slip-ons. My 88in Twinkie with stock (jetted) carb and slip-ons walked all over his bike. Straight line only, though. I have gear driven mild cams in it now and WOW! That was huge upgrade.
If I could only get this thing to handle like FXR life would be fun again.
I just ordered WorksPerformance fork cartridge set-up and True Track. Cant wait to put all that on. Already have bagger air shocks. I'll report the update after we run some twisties together. Cool thing is that we can swap bikes and compare the them instantly.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:34 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by skullhead
This is one I really like....

THAT IS ****
I'm touching myself inappropriately....

Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 PM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't checked threads @ HD Forums in a few months and I come back to THIS?

I had a '91 FXRP I crashed and turned in to the insurance co. and I thought I upgraded when I bought my current '98 FXDS. I couldn't have
been more wrong. I miss that old wanna be bagger with a passion. I majorly regret giving it up after the crash, even tho' Progressive gave
me 8,000 for it after I held out for more than their first offer of 7,000. Them suckers turned around and sold it for 4,100 @ auction
( I have a friend that goes to them things, lol).

The best memories I have of that bike are driving from Wisconsin to Myrtle Beach, hitting the Dragon fully loaded on the way. And going out
to Colorado and hitting up Pikes Peak fully loaded, on a whim, because we were close, We'll probably skip it on the return trip, let's see if the
Kawasaki can make it to the top, just because....

The only thing that went wrong on those trips was I blew out my speedo cable in Colorado. That was the best bike I ever owned. I highly
doubt I would go on a trip of that length on my current bike and be as comfortable as I was on my '91 FXRP. One helluva ride.

I'll get another one some day ! ! !

Here's a pic of us going to a meet with my crutches strapped to the back because I had a broken foot, Sorry this is the only pic I can find

Last edited by RudeDog; 09-14-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FXR riders