EVO All Evo Model Discussion

FXR riders

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
My bro-in-law has a stock '89 FXRS 80in Evo with just Screamin Chicken carb and slip-ons. My 88in Twinkie with stock (jetted) carb and slip-ons walked all over his bike. Straight line only, though. I have gear driven mild cams in it now and WOW! That was huge upgrade.
If I could only get this thing to handle like FXR life would be fun again.
I just ordered WorksPerformance fork cartridge set-up and True Track. Cant wait to put all that on. Already have bagger air shocks. I'll report the update after we run some twisties together. Cool thing is that we can swap bikes and compare the them instantly.
My 2005 electra has the 95 as well as pipes,free flowing air cleaner and gear driven cams. GREAT improvements! I just wish it would handle 1/2 as well as my FXR! Let me know how well she handles after the upgrades-If it makes a drastic difference I will probably do the same!

Old 09-16-2010, 12:11 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brettfullthrottle
My 2005 electra has the 95 as well as pipes,free flowing air cleaner and gear driven cams. GREAT improvements! I just wish it would handle 1/2 as well as my FXR! Let me know how well she handles after the upgrades-If it makes a drastic difference I will probably do the same!
There are several threads on Dyna forum about True Track and how it ads a stabilizing link to the motor mounts. It stops lateral movement of the drive train inside the frame while allowing it up and down movement. Just like the FXRs, older FLs and Buells. Thank you, Erik! It works on all Dynas and newer baggers
Once again, it takes an aftermarket company to fix h-d's shortcommings. Pisser is that they already had this technology since early 80s, but wanted to save few bucks on 3rd motor mount and royalties to Erik Buell.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:57 AM
CheefASRC
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by warrconn
When I started looking for an FXR, I found most of them to be too "customized" for my taste. Some were well done, others were hack jobs. In the 90s especially, the FXRs were subjected to the customizing excesses of the period...front air dams, splashy paint and tons of ugly (and now dated looking) billet bolt-on accessories.
When I lived in the SF bay area during that time, the FXR club bikes were sleek and devoid of stupid frills. That's what I wanted. Long story semi-short, moved to Florida and then to Minnesota. Found my FXRS about 5 miles from my house at a dealership. 1985, totally stock and unmolested. It sat on the floor a long time. Newbies didn't know what it was. No one wanted an old EVO. Even the paint is original and perfect. The Vance and Hines power pipe and Progressive shocks were the only deviations from stock. Bike had 66K miles, the original motor rebuilt at the factory 11K miles ago when I bought it.
It runs and shifts great and I don't have to spend a ton of money reversing someone else's misguided "improvements". My only planned changes are heavier fork oil/springs and maybe a brake upgrade. The picture was taken at the dealership. The windshield is long gone. I've had 3 shovels, an XLCH and an '85 EVO FXSB (which I still regret selling), but this 25 year old FXRS is the most fun bike I've ever had. I LOVE EVOs and FXRs!

I love my 1985 FXRS too! Lets see some pics!

Old 03-22-2017, 02:04 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by CheefASRC
I love my 1985 FXRS too! Lets see some pics!
You just drug up a 7 year old thread to ask for pictures from people that I ain't seen around here for a coons age.

I don't think you are gonna have any luck with that one.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:14 PM
CheefASRC
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
You just drug up a 7 year old thread to ask for pictures from people that I ain't seen around here for a coons age.

I don't think you are gonna have any luck with that one.

LMAO I hear ya...