EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Setting timing

Old 10-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Setting timing

OK; How many of you guys that set your own timing use that little clear plastic case insert. I have tried to use it several times, and I can't see zip. So, I end up just opening up the hole and let her blow. At least I can see the timing marks that way. I tried using a magic marker to make a mark between the two little marks, but it don't seem to work very well on oiled metal.LOL. When I use to set the timing on cars, I use to use chalk on the mark, and usually the harmonic balancer was painted red or black, which helped a lot. Anybody got a better way of setting timing, or of marking it so you can see it with the plastic plug?

I did just check mine to make sure it was on before I mark the sensor plate location, as I am getting ready to replace the cam brg.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:53 PM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a rubber grommet type with a hole that pushes in, and acts as a oil sweeper. Works great.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:19 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you really want to stop messing around with all the oil, check this out. We use these and they are getting harder to find. You put this in the primary and mark the rotor, then time it through the inspection hole. No fuss, no muss period.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EZ-Ty...Q5fAccessories

Old 10-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

Is that a Harley tool, or an after market job? Sounds like what I need. I got this clear plastic tool when I had my 84 Sportster, many moons ago from Harley. Never worked on the sportster very well either.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey John; Looks like we were typing at the same time. That tool looks ideal for timing. Sure would save a lot of trouble, besides telling you which way you needed to go to get it on. Thanks for posting.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:07 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's not actually a tool you install in the primary, on the two rear bolts of the engine and it stays there. You make the alternator rotor and shoot the timing light through the inspection hole for the primary chain. Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Vern1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,
There are at least two types of plastic plugs - a short one that looks like a large screw and a longer one that is threaded almost full length.
Get the longer one.
The secret of the plastic plug (using the longer one) it to screw it in until it just touches the flywheel, then back it out a little so the crank turns but the plug doesn't actually touch the flywheel.
It acts like a scraper and makes the marks easier to see.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,681 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I always just let it blow out the hole until a friend gave me one of the clear plastic ones. I mean, like, ZOMG, OIL MIST CAME OUT!!11

Old 10-21-2010, 04:34 PM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really dont need to buy anything. I marked my rotor with paint and used a punch to put a dot inside the primary on both my bikes. Just drain the primary fluid and shoot the light inside the inspection cover.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:00 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I drilled the timing plate and use the pillar bolt as a refernce, works like a charm. Check out this topic for clarity as I;m a terrible explainer, http://www.wildwestcycle.com/f_timingtrick.html In fact I had asked my buddy one day to check my timing ( hes a harley mechanic here ) and he said he uses the timing plate side on the right side where the slot is and uses the crank tdc to make a refernce point , anyway he checked my timing and said it was right on 35.

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 10-25-2010 at 11:03 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Setting timing