EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ignition troubles solved. Crane HI4E module.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ignition troubles solved. Crane HI4E module.

I have been sharing my experience with my 86 FLTC ignition troubles and thought I'd start fresh with the outcome.

This is the thread about the issue and all the suggestions and effort put in to define the problem.

I was able to get a used working OEM ignition module and tested it out to be certain it was the cure. But not wanting to head out on the road with a used part in a troubled area I decided to look beyond OEM and had many suggestions for upgrading the ignition system.

I wound up with a Crane HI4E Ignition module for a good price. Went with the Dyna wiring harness which was more premade than the Harley suggested harness which needed complete assembly including the use of dedicated harley tools to crimp the small pins and connectors to the cable as you cut it down to fit. Even had to place the pins in a connector boot which needs to be done with another special harley tool. The Dyna kit was very simple by comparison.

Set the module and installed it yesterday. I had spent several hours Monday riding it on the old module just grinning cause the bike was fixed and almost finished.

Well let me tell you the updated module provides a lot more control over the motors ignition and did run much better than stock.

Before I tell you what improvements I noticed I need to tell you I adjusted it for my setup. Dual fire with an S/E upgraded (fresh) coil, and new cam sensor. Next OEM VOES was set. Then you adjust it for electric start, kickstart settings are different. And I chose multispark that gives a hotter quick multispark per stroke. RPM limiter was reset to 5700 rpm. Stock was 5,200 but the OEM moduled seemed to "fall off" at 4,700. I stayed with "middle" settings for advance slope and rear cylinder offset.

What I noticed first was a quick start up and the idle "loping" declined a lot.

When I hit the road I was impressed with the low end rapid acceleration and throttle response is now quicker. I didn't think there would be such a noticeable difference.

The bike zoomed to 70, 80 and somewhere around 95 MPH I back off the throttle. That was actually the first time I broke 85 with out feeling like I was pushing my little stock EVO too much.

The advance curve setting, and the back cylinder offset are in the middle setting and working really well compared to the stock module. I really like the quicker response.

Now the only down side to this is that it actually changed the "tone" of my EVO. The idle is a clean, smooth running sound now, and when I fly down the road the motor purrs instead of growls. Miss the growl. Use to like overtaking other vehicles starting when I hit second gear. The motor honestly would give a deep growl as the speed increase. Now it "raps" on the rev's with a prrr and very quickly.

Makes me very happy to have fixed this issue. there was nothing more frustrating than making repairs and going down the road only to have it shut down time after time, after time. Sometimes I was able to go for 60 miles, and toward the end I could only get about 3 to 5 minutes of run time with about the same in down time before the spark came back and away I'd go. It even ran well when it was running.

It took all of 3 weeks from start to finish to fix in my spare time.

Now I can focus on getting her ready for winter and know that she'll be running anytime I need her over the winter if the weather breaks at all. And to know that it's ready for next spring is priceless.

Many thanks to all who helped including John Therrien, and my buddy Mark who told me over and over to upgrade!

Last edited by JohnnyC; 11-10-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 11-10-2010, 09:43 AM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

glad you fixed it!! ive been following this with interest. im learning as i have limited knowledge of evo ignitions!! so, thanks for the updates!!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Great news and well done.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:04 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to see all is well. It was a pleasure helping you and now you see why we use that harness instead of the MOCO's one. Enjoy, ride safe and let me know if you have any more questions as you have our number.

P.S. It wouldn't have taken three weeks if you had listened to the posts. LOL, LOL, LOL!!!!!!