EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1990 evo question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1990 evo question

I need a little help with memory. Is the 1990 evo motor alright? It has 6k ori miles....hard to believe!
I remember something about some changes around that time, but can't remember the stuff or year. My 89 seemed alright for 57k miles, no problems. Is it the same as my 1994 motor?
I might do a 2nd bike (fxstc) and make a mild-old school chopper.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:05 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The '90 and '94 model evo's are basically the same.They went to twin cam in '99.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:04 AM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

On a '90 Evo you'll have the same crankcase breather system as your '89 as those didn't change to head breathers until, I think, '93 or so. While the change was made mostly to satisfy the EPA, it was also to prevent the last built in oil "leak" (really just oil mist overboard) the Evo had. But in a way the crankcase breather may have been better than the current head breathers as running the oil mist through the carburetor does seem to gunk them up.

Also on the '90 you lucked out as you'll still have the Torrington cam bearing. The MOCO didn't change to the cheaper, less robust, INA bearing until 1992. (And every EVO after that came with an INA.) It's not am automatic death sentence as not all of the INA bearings will self destruct, but current wisdom is if you change the cam on these later Evos it's a good idea to change to the Torrington while you're in there.

The '90 also has some changes to the base gaskets to prevent leaks in that area. But they had good cases. Those issues didn't begin until 1992. I don't recall the particulars but there were some "thin" spots in the cases until that was fixed in about '97.

You're only problem, depending on how it was stored, may be so little mileage. But I'd put a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, let it sit overnight to help the rings get free, and fire it up. It's an Evo after all, so it'll probably run like a champ!

Old 12-05-2010, 07:39 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NickD
Also on the '90 you lucked out as you'll still have the Torrington cam bearing. The MOCO didn't change to the cheaper, less robust, INA bearing until 1992. (And every EVO after that came with an INA.) It's not am automatic death sentence as not all of the INA bearings will self destruct, but current wisdom is if you change the cam on these later Evos it's a good idea to change to the Torrington while you're in there.
Would you clarify which cam bearing was put in my older '86 1340cc FLTC?

This sure would "clear my mind" about that concern.

Thank you.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:46 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Would you clarify which cam bearing was put in my older '86 1340cc FLTC?

This sure would "clear my mind" about that concern.

Thank you.
If it wasn't replaced you have the INA and it should be replaced if you get in there, or perhaps over the winter. That is if you want to get a little more intimate with the old girl!!

Old 12-05-2010, 07:53 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not trying to scare ya, but didnt the 89/90 have the left case bearing race issue? or was it just limited to the 89?

Old 12-05-2010, 08:01 AM
NickD
Road Master

You're okay. All the Evo motors came stock with Torrington bearings until 1992. In 1992 they changed to the INA bearing. And even if you buy a brand new '99 model year Evo crate motor direct from Harley today it will come with the INA bearing.

BTW, Timkin bought out Torrington in the early 2000s so the these bearings are sometimes referred to as Torrington\Timkin bearings nowadays.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:01 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

John,

Hey there! I know you've been in repair a long time but once again I get two different answers to this question ... Aack!

So Nick says

Originally Posted by NickD
You're okay. All the Evo motors came stock with Torrington bearings until 1992.
So who is right?

I will open her up if it's not the more solid bearing. But I need to know for sure.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:34 AM
NickD
Road Master

Okay, just for your piece of mind, LOL, I'll give you a reliable citation.

(The third photo is the money shot.)

I'll reiterate though, I do believe this issue is somewhat overblown. But it's one of those things where if have the opportunity to change out the bearing, and you don't, it's going to weigh on your mind.

However, I know if you purchased an Andrews cam kit - it came with a INA bearing - and they otherwise recommended them (at least up to about 2004 as that's the last time I saw their kits.) I read through their literature (Andrews) and they say they were of the belief the INA was actually the better bearing.

Bottom line is you have a '86 motor, if the bearing hasn't let go yet, there's probably nothing wrong with it. But of course all bearings wear out so you may want to at least look at it if you ever get the chance.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:18 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

My GAWD! You don't know how much peace of mind you just provided to me.

And BTW I'm sorry for hijacking the thread.

And as always I appreciate this forum's value and it's members.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 12-05-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: "peace of mind, not "piece of mind" DUH!

Quick Reply: 1990 evo question