EVO All Evo Model Discussion

stator upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:33 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 604 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by IronGear
How does it reduce the load on the engine?
Click on the link below and then the "rectifying regulators" link on the left sideof the page, it explains it somewhat. The link below is for a company in the US that makes affordable, good quality charging system parts for your Harley.

http://cycleelectricinc.com/

Old 12-16-2010, 09:52 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

"This reduces stator current resulting in lower temperature and less drag on the motor which means more efficient operation". That's the quote from that website. While you can claim anything you want, I doubt the reduction in drag on the motor is noticeable.,,

The following 2 users liked this post by big cahuna:
tar_snake (07-01-2017), Ultar Rich (09-14-2020)
Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jim h
hi all
its time for a new stator and iam thinking off fitting 28or 32 amp one dose anyone now which one will fit on a 85 lowrider
i had a look in j&p cattalog and didnt know there was that meny different types
i will need a new regulator to
thanks jim h
Just curios why you say its time for stator, I take it you've done all the trouble shooting steps? On my 89 flh replaced the stator with accell , now I have a full 38 amp to install this winter, its a CYCLE ELEC 38 AMP CHARGING SYSTEM HARLEY EVO BT 1984-98, its from http://zmancycles.com I did a lot of researchon what to buy. A bit pricey but a good charging system is a necessity.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:10 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only concern for the OP is he is in Australia. If he goes with a non OE system getting parts might be a major PITA

Old 12-17-2010, 04:14 AM
IronGear
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BB4xl
My only concern for the OP is he is in Australia. If he goes with a non OE system getting parts might be a major PITA
A well founded fear.
I just heard wild emu related deaths are at an all time high.
And given that there is only 2 airplanes a month that land anywhere in all of Australia, how would he ever get any parts?

Old 12-17-2010, 04:39 AM
IronGear
Tourer

Originally Posted by big cahuna
"This reduces stator current resulting in lower temperature and less drag on the motor which means more efficient operation". That's the quote from that website. While you can claim anything you want, I doubt the reduction in drag on the motor is noticeable.,,
I laughed my head off when I read the post you are referring to.

I might as well set the record straight, and let the truth be known.

So here goes.

Firstly.......... the load on the engine.
Meaning, fixed magnet versus electro magnet.

HD run a fixed magnet system. The load on the engine is created by the resistance created by the magnets in the rotor, in relation to the windings of the stator. Now that never changes.

You can totally unplug the regulator, and it will make no difference at all.
Now in an electro magnet system(like a car) the resistance does change, as the strength of the magnets increases(or is increased) as demand dictates.
Turn on the lights, and the engine slows a little. This is because in response to system demand, current is fed to the "rotor". Like on a Yamaha XS 650, for example.

Turn on your HD lights. Notice any loss of engine speed, any increased alternator load? No, of course not. They just turn on and off, and have no impact on the alternator. Different system is why.

Less load with a different regulator? Impossible, obviously.
Increased fuel economy? Only as a result of other dynamics, that a well functioning charging system may be a part of.

Now.......... series versus shunt regulators.
HD use a shunt regulator. Excess charge is channeled to ground.
This is a good thing.
The magnet is fixed, so the output from the alternator is locked directly to engine speed. Even if you do not understand this fully, the tests for the alternator alone would tell you this.
Due to the shunt nature of the stock reg/rec, the output current from the stator is fully discharged. Excellent. This allows for a cooler stator, that is less likely to burn out. Trty running your bike with the reg/rec disconnected. it will burn out the stator very quickly.

Series regulators are sometimes touted as "turning off" the alternator. As illustrated, this is totally impossible with HD.
What a series reg/rec does is ignore some of the alternator output(they use this principle to claim their "turn off" dynamic). This is fine on an electromagnet system, but lousy on a fixed magnet system. The stator is never "satisfied", so despite claims to the contrary, runs hotter(but hopefully still within an acceptable range).
The trick here is to ensure that enough current is being allowed through to prevent stator failure. You see this on various jap bikes, where one of the alternator phases goes via the light switch. The idea is the 2 out of 3 phases keeps the alternator happy, and when you turn the lights on, more power to ya.

Now each to their own, but no pretending.

I have a question.

Why have I never been thanked?????????

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Old 12-17-2010, 07:21 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Attitude

Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IronGear
I might as well set the record straight, and let the truth be known.

HD run a fixed magnet system. The load on the engine is created by the resistance created by the magnets in the rotor, in relation to the windings of the stator.

AND

Turn on your HD lights. Notice any loss of engine speed, any increased alternator load? No, of course not. They just turn on and off, and have no impact on the alternator.
My Harley's rotor contains the magnets, they spin. Not fixed. Then you say the magnets ARE in the rotor ... which is rotating.

The moving magnets mounted in the rotating rotor induce a magnet field into the coil windings as they pass by while moving, not fixed. This induction creates alternating voltage / current or A/C which is then rectified into DC and regulated.

And if you put a load on my charging system it DOES put an additional load on my engine dragging down the RPMs.

It's early, did I misunderstand you?

Other than that quite a thorough explanation.

And regarding the "thanking" ... you have to upgrade your membership and pay to become part of the new elite group ... Makes me wonder why they added "pay to play" features?

Last edited by JohnnyC; 12-17-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Too early in the morning ... lol
Old 12-17-2010, 11:39 AM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I should clarified what I meant. If the OP would go with a Compufire system or any other system that requires their parts. He would have to wait for them to get shipped half way around the world. I looked it up there are 42 HD dealers in Australia. At least he could go to one of them and probably buy any part he needs and not have to wait. I went with HD parts for my charging system for that reason and I am in the US. I can walk in any HD dealer and who knows how many Indy shops and buy a regulator if I need one. Not wait for it to be shipped to me. I like the concept of the Compufire system but I want parts readily available.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:40 PM
IronGear
Tourer

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
My Harley's rotor contains the magnets, they spin. Not fixed. Then you say the magnets ARE in the rotor ... which is rotating.

The moving magnets mounted in the rotating rotor induce a magnet field into the coil windings as they pass by while moving, not fixed. This induction creates alternating voltage / current or A/C which is then rectified into DC and regulated.

And if you put a load on my charging system it DOES put an additional load on my engine dragging down the RPMs.

It's early, did I misunderstand you?

Other than that quite a thorough explanation.

And regarding the "thanking" ... you have to upgrade your membership and pay to become part of the new elite group ... Makes me wonder why they added "pay to play" features?
Fixed, as in Constant Strength(you can use the word "permanent" here), not as in whether or not they are part of a revolving mass.
I saw no need to expound the basic principle of operation of the alternator.

I was kidding about being thanked. People hate the truth, so naturally, why would they want to thank anyone for it.

Quick Reply: stator upgrade