EVO All Evo Model Discussion

puked oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:25 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default puked oil

Hiya folks, went out to start the bike up one last time before I start replacing starter, charging system and ignition, figured I'd make sure its running before doing the change over, so anyway I tried to start it and even though the battery was fulley charged after being on the tender it quickly died out and motor was really turning over hard. I left it a bit and was going to try it again when I noticed a big puddle under the oil crank breather ( this oil line would usually go to back of carb plate ). I haven't had a chance to check the oil level in the tank but I'm thinking the oil seeped down into the case which made it puke, does this sound likely? And if yes what should I be checking to fix this problem?

Old 12-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,341 Posts

They All Do That, Sir.

There's tricks you can do, like seating the ball, new ball, new oil pump, just living with it. Don't worry about it and just put a pan under it when you start it up after it's been sitting a while. That's what most of us do.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:54 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
They All Do That, Sir.

There's tricks you can do, like seating the ball, new ball, new oil pump, just living with it. Don't worry about it and just put a pan under it when you start it up after it's been sitting a while. That's what most of us do.
Thanks Dr Hess , when you say reseating the ball are you referring to the ball that has the spring pushing it down next to the screen plug?
Would all this oil not make the engine harder to turn over? Should I perhaps pull the plugs after its been sitting and whirl it over to ease the pressure build up then replace the plugs once the oil has gone back to the tank?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah, that ball in the oil pump under the spring. SOME PEOPLE go to great lengths to seat the ball. SOME PEOPLE will buy a new ball, glue it onto the end of an old pushrod, put some valve grinding compound on it, work the seat in the oil pump to match the ball, then put a new ball in. Others will put a new ball in, put some kinda punch on it, rap it with the Harley Wrench (hammer). Others will buy a new pump. Personally, mine's been doing it for 24 years. I don't worry about it. When it's been sitting, I put a catch pan under the bike, crank it a bit, wait to see if anything is going to puke out. Start it up. See if anything is puking out. Let it all puke out, ride on. I've never bothered with pulling the plugs. Shovelheads do it too. Probably pans, knuckles and flatheads and anything else since 1936, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:36 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

If I had a dollar for every time one of my Shovels did that.....damn

Old 12-31-2010, 05:00 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks guys, sounds like another bit of EVO personality I will need to learn to go along with.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:05 AM
alaskajeff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ridemywg
Thanks guys, sounds like another bit of EVO personality I will need to learn to go along with.
You got that right!! I learned the hard way too........Thought one of my heads cracked or something, the first time it happened.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:15 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Yeah, that ball in the oil pump under the spring. SOME PEOPLE go to great lengths to seat the ball. SOME PEOPLE will buy a new ball, glue it onto the end of an old pushrod, put some valve grinding compound on it, work the seat in the oil pump to match the ball, then put a new ball in. Others will put a new ball in, put some kinda punch on it, rap it with the Harley Wrench (hammer). Others will buy a new pump. Personally, mine's been doing it for 24 years. I don't worry about it. When it's been sitting, I put a catch pan under the bike, crank it a bit, wait to see if anything is going to puke out. Start it up. See if anything is puking out. Let it all puke out, ride on. I've never bothered with pulling the plugs. Shovelheads do it too. Probably pans, knuckles and flatheads and anything else since 1936, but I don't have any personal experience with them.
You can also take a pushrod that was cut out of an EVO and use that. Just put a little valve grinding compound on it put it in a drill and lap it in. We start with a medium and finish with fine. Then use some q-tips to clean out the hole, install a new ball and spring. Hope this helps.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:30 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

It's an easy fix, as John described, and no need to live with it. Although many EVOs will do this at some point over their lifespan, my 99 never did it and my current 94 has been dry so far. If this is the first time it's happened I'd chaulk it up to a speck of dirt and leave it alone, if it starts doing it frequently then I'd fix it.

D

Old 12-31-2010, 07:52 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah, could be a spec of dirt too, so cleaning it out might help. And how often it does it can lead to how much you want to mess with it. Once a year or every day?

Quick Reply: puked oil