Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Any 6 speed upgrades?

I've been thinking of putting a 6 spd gear-set in my 80"
Anybody done this...pros-cons?

Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You have two basic options, a direct-drive 6-speed, with stock overall gearing, or an over-drive with higher overall gearing. Which do you have in mind?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:52 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We've used the Ultima overdrive 6-spped gearsets with great results.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:03 AM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

I've ridden a stock 80 EVO and stock 88 Twin Cam with a six speed transmission. I honestly believe those two bikes did not have the power available for one more gear.
If you have the power.....then you may like it.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 AM
woodnbow
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What kind of final ratio are you using/recommending?

Originally Posted by miacycles
We've used the Ultima overdrive 6-spped gearsets with great results.
My '93 FXR runs a fairly high numerical ratio final drive. I'm just getting into it right now so I honestly don't know what it is but according to my faulty memory, at 70mph I'm turning nearly 3500rpm. I think I could use another gear but I like the quick launch I get from the current gearing.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,723 Likes on 18,538 Posts

Originally Posted by Holster Maker
I've been thinking of putting a 6 spd gear-set in my 80"
Anybody done this...pros-cons?
Baker is one of the best in the industry. However a point was made earlier here that you do need some "motor" to carry the bike when you are in 6th gear unless you're really rolling down the highway. I have a 2009 FLHTCU with a six speed and had a 1992 FLHTCU with a 5 speed ... the difference between the two at 70 mph was about 500 rpm's. You're going to spend a lot of money to gain a little. Good Luck.
http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/flt/index.htm#evoTwinCam

Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,154 Likes on 5,390 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOrider
I've ridden a stock 80 EVO and stock 88 Twin Cam with a six speed transmission. I honestly believe those two bikes did not have the power available for one more gear.
If you have the power.....then you may like it.

I have a Baker 6 speed in a four speed case....going from a 4 to a 6 was like night and day...really don't understand the not enough power comment...mine rocks.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:11 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I have a Baker 6 speed in a four speed case....going from a 4 to a 6 was like night and day...really don't understand the not enough power comment...mine rocks.
If you have stock 4-speed gearing that comment is understandable. As the years have rolled by Harley has progressively increased overall gearing, so a late 5-speed has significantly higher gearing than your bike. Adding an overdrive 6-speed trans will kill performance in the new top gear, as it does for current 6-speed stock Harleys. In both cases the rider is likely to find they will be changing gear more often, which is not what big twin Harleys are all about! Owners of current touring bikes are discovering how difficult it is to reduce gearing, to make their bikes more rideable. Doesn't make sense to ape their bikes when some of them would love to have our lower gearing!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Panthers65
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

may just be me, but I think it'd be easier to put a taller tire on in the rear..

Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,723 Likes on 18,538 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
If you have stock 4-speed gearing that comment is understandable. As the years have rolled by Harley has progressively increased overall gearing, so a late 5-speed has significantly higher gearing than your bike. Adding an overdrive 6-speed trans will kill performance in the new top gear, as it does for current 6-speed stock Harleys. In both cases the rider is likely to find they will be changing gear more often, which is not what big twin Harleys are all about! Owners of current touring bikes are discovering how difficult it is to reduce gearing, to make their bikes more rideable. Doesn't make sense to ape their bikes when some of them would love to have our lower gearing!
Yep! That's what I was gettin' at ......Tom84FXZT may have a rockin' scooter but in high gear from a roll HolsterMaker will probably pull away ( or at least stay with him ) for some time. It purely a matter of torque .... and the RPM ranger that it come in at.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any 6 speed upgrades?