EVO All Evo Model Discussion

crankcase vent hose allowing oil into air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:47 PM
2000eaglerider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crankcase vent hose allowing oil into air cleaner

I have a '91 FXR stock EVO. I am getting A LOT of oil blowing back from crankcase to the air cleaner element through the crankcase ventilation hose. I assume this is due to a common problem called "sumping" whereby a check valve does not function properly and allows oil to drain down from the oil tank and fill the crankcase when the bike is sitting for a long time (as in over the winter). There is some sort of canister element installed inline on the vent hose between the breather and the crankcase. It looks like it might be an aftermarket regulator to prevent that from happening? At first I thought it was some sort of PCV valve like on a car, but there are no moving parts, just two canister halves, inside is what looks like a diverter with five holes in it, so the oil has to

Do I just live with it or can it be corrected?

Steve D.
Minden NV

Last edited by 2000eaglerider; 03-09-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:26 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

some guys just reroute the hose avoiding the aircleaner.There are also filters you can purchase.There are also complete kits with new chrome lines and a filter.I had that problem with my old 92 Ultra.take a look at these on Ebay: 130390726306 or, 320418908915
Hope this helps, just do a search for harley parts,crankcase vent.

Last edited by #1rocketman; 03-09-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,786 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000eaglerider
I have a '91 FXR stock EVO. I am getting A LOT of oil blowing back from crankcase to the air cleaner element through the crankcase ventilation hose. I assume this is due to a common problem called "sumping" whereby a check valve does not function properly and allows oil to drain down from the oil tank and fill the crankcase when the bike is sitting for a long time (as in over the winter). There is some sort of canister element installed inline on the vent hose between the breather and the crankcase. It looks like it might be an aftermarket regulator to prevent that from happening? At first I thought it was some sort of PCV valve like on a car, but there are no moving parts, just two canister halves, inside is what looks like a diverter with five holes in it, so the oil has to

Steve D.
Minden NV
There were a lot of "fixes" for the EVO air cleaner problem with oil. A lot of guys just ran a fliter off of the breather hose driectly from the oil pump down under the scooter mounted in an "out of the way place" . I did this on my 92 FLHTCU and never had any further problems. Some will say this was not the way to go. Oh well. There is a lot of print on this topic out in cyberland. Here is a link to a company that makes a breather filter and "catch canister" for them. http://www.cas4.com/engine/engine-cr...r-valves2.html Maybe this will help you. Also there is a "fix" to the oil bleeding into the crankcase after sitting for a long period of time. Stop by the HD shop and get a new check ball and spring ( some guys get two check ***** ... they take one and use a hammer and drift and give the check ball a "love tap" to reshape the seat then remove the ball and place the new one along with the new spring ) . This is a quick and easy repair. Hope this helps!

Old 03-09-2011, 06:02 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your breather inside your engine, driven by your cam shaft might also need replacing. A lot of them are plastic & when they wear down or get scratched, they can let some oil through. Easy job to replace! Best bet though is re route your breather line & add a breather filter to the end. Their less than $10.
Hatch.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:06 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000eaglerider
I have a '91 FXR stock EVO. I am getting A LOT of oil blowing back from crankcase to the air cleaner element through the crankcase ventilation hose. I assume this is due to a common problem called "sumping"...
You had better assume this is due to worn piston rings. The "cannister" is supposed to separate the oil from the air before it goes into the air cleaner. Removing it will make the problem worse.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

This subject has been covered before, but how feasible would it be to put a manual valve in the line to prevent sumping? I know, don't forget to open the valve when you ride. Thoughts?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:06 PM
2000eaglerider
Intermediate

I found out that the cannister I referred to in my original post is a Hayden "Krank Vent Plus" which is supposed to relieve pressure in the crankcase. It was on the bike when I bought it.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:22 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Just did a search on Hayden, 2 to 8% increase in hp? Really? For $125 bucks? Seems like not such a bad deal for no oil on the floor and more power. jmho.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:56 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most bikes will sump if their left to sit but once started, the oil returns to the bag quickly! There is still oil blasting around in the case when the bike is running which is why the plastic breather is inside. It is timed with the cam shaft to open & close through the different strokes to help relieve crank case pressures.
Hatch.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,786 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchetman
Most bikes will sump if their left to sit but once started, the oil returns to the bag quickly! There is still oil blasting around in the case when the bike is running which is why the plastic breather is inside. It is timed with the cam shaft to open & close through the different strokes to help relieve crank case pressures.
Hatch.
Hatchetman is correct about the breather gear in the timing case. Also something to consider is correcting the opening in the cavity that the breather gear "breathes" through. It is a very rough opening. S&S strongly suggests that you reshape ( read open the window to the proper dimensions ) the opening whenever you go into the timing case for any necessary repairs or maintanance. This helped immensely on mine.

Quick Reply: crankcase vent hose allowing oil into air cleaner