EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Primary Leak

Old 03-13-2011, 07:30 PM
BigD48
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Dan89FLSTC: I have an '89 FLHTC. According to the service manual the primary holds 44-48 ounces. At the end of Section 6 it states, "On wet clutch models, fill primary chaincase with PRIMARY CHAINCASE LUBRICANT P/N XXXXX. Fill to bottom of clutch inspection cover opening." That's what I've always done. The owners manual says to check the primary oil with the bike STRAIGHT UP and LEVEL. It also states that it should be level with the bottom of the clutch inspection opening. I do it with the bike on the kick stand. I do not have a center stand. Is that wrong?

Old 03-13-2011, 08:00 PM
evofloyd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the primary side on my 95, got some learn'n on that one. Didnt need any special tools. Did the front seal on the motor, and trany main shaft seal. Did a little trick on the spacer using a die grinder to get it off. Every thing on the primary side is new but the clutch. Rotor, stator, chain, auto adjuster, all new seals & gaskets. Harley shop manual, a little info from the shop tech & forum and got'r done.
Its kind of hard telling where the leak is coming from when the oil is all the same color. Harley did away with there red trany fluid,now primary & trany are the same stuff

Old 03-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,467 Likes on 4,598 Posts

BigD48:

My `89 Service manual also says to fill the primary up to the clutch inspection cover opening, but that is too much, it will cause clutch drag, making it more difficult to find neutral.

It should only be filled to the bottom edge of the clutch pack. The bike should be standing straight up when you do this.

Filling the primary to the bottom of the clutch is the way I have done it since the bike was new. I replaced the clutch and primary parts last year (not because they were worn, but because I changed to a splined mainshaft) and the parts still looked to be in great condition at approx 120,000 miles.

Before I had a bike lift I used to slide boards under the frame rails to hold the bike up straight.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 03-13-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,467 Likes on 4,598 Posts

Originally Posted by V-Twins & Bowties
First thing to do is clean it up ALL over the primary side, insure that the proper amount of oil is in it, and take a visual on whats leaking. Then make a decision on a repair.
Nate, I think that V-Twins advice is the way to go, simple stuff first, don`t panic...Get the primary fluid level correct, clean it up and see how it goes...

And please keep us posted.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:49 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigD48
Nate88HD: I don't think that too much fluid would blow a seal. Most likely it would cause drag on the clutch. It is possible that the seal between the inner primary and the tranny main shaft leaking. If so, to fix that you would have to remove the clutch, clutch hub primary chain, etc. Pulling the clutch hub involves buying a special tool unless you make your own. I'd check the other stuff mentioned first.

Stan
i don't think removing the whole clutch hub requires a special tool... mine didn't

pulling that front pulley does, however....but you don't need to pull that in order to remove the inner primary in order to get at the tranny shaft seal

Old 03-14-2011, 03:57 AM
BigD48
Tourer

I've got a clutch hub removal tool that I made years ago for a '48 Panhead I used to have. My '89s hub was on real tight so I modified my old tool to work on my Evo. I'll try and take a pic and post it for those who may need one someday.

Dan89: I'll have to try putting less fluid in or maybe draining some out and see how it works. Thanks for the tip. By the way, how much fluid to bring it up to the clutch basket? A quart? More? Less?

Stan

Last edited by BigD48; 03-14-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 505 Likes on 278 Posts

In my defense, the oil level statement I made is accurate. The way to check the primary oil level has been revised over the years for obvious reasons.( clutch drag) So with the old source and new source the primary cannot be overfilled to the extent of causing the problem as OP was told by local shop.

That being said.....I've run it both ways but settled on "newer" oil level for the reason Dan89 states........... One of the more wiser advice givers here.

Also I was wrong when I said that oil would gush out of the oval cover...........operater head space at the time. My appologies.

Last edited by V-Twins & Bowties; 03-14-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:31 AM
95 Ultra
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just checked both shop manuals for my '89 Custom Softail and 95 Ultra and both say to fill primary to the bottom edge of the diaphram spring, with bike upright and level. I would think filling to the bottom of the clutch inspection cover would be too much oil and make for hard shifting and nuetral, but I could be wrong. As stated above, I'd go with whatever the service manual for your bike says, and get the level correct. Then ride it a few times and see what it does.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Nate88hd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks everyone for your advice and experience I've got my fluids to the correct levels and cleaned her all up and she is still leaking from where the final drive comes out of the primary housing.{the best that i can see} I'm going to replace all the gaskets and o-rings. while i'm in there. I've been checking my fluid via inspection cover located in front of derby cover. My primary fluid is red witch ruled out any previous motor oil leak theories. so I'm just waiting for my parts to come in and ill post pics as I engage on my first harley mechanical endeavor, Thanks again all

Dan89fltc-Thanks for the tip on filling to the bottom of the the clutch pack. Feels a whole lot better.

V-Twin- I was experiencing some clutch drag and having trouble finding neutral. She would make a winning noise when I finally did find it. Happens every so often now. doesnt sound like its coming from my clutch though...any thoughts?

evofloyd-my primary fluid is red and was just serviced at hd shop? just wondering probly not hd oil then

Old 03-14-2011, 01:52 PM
BigD48
Tourer

Here's the pics of the clutch hub tool I made years ago. It works on my Evo and also my old Panhead which had only 3 long clutch hub studs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Primary Leak