EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Primary Chain Auto Adjuster

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:58 PM
evofloyd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Chain Auto Adjuster

Was wondering if any one is useing the new HD auto adjuster, I'd post the part # but the wife did some fileing. Any way the shoe on the adjuster is about 6in long. {95evo}

Old 03-29-2011, 10:41 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i installed one in the primary on my 02 dyna low rider with a twin cam. i recently got a 92 evo fxr, and plan on putting one in it also. it looks like the 92 will take the same harley automatic primary chain tensioner as my 02 twin cam did. it's an easy install and makes it much easier to keep up with the maintenance. just remember to not cut the zip tie till you have it completely installed. it's spring loaded and the spring is what makes this chain tensioner work.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:18 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a HD auto adjuster on our '90 Ultra for maybe 25,000 - 30,000 miles? It was originally installed by a Harley dealer, but had it off when my wife and I changed engines. At the time I think it was only about $100. I do not know if it is the "new" version you are writing about.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:27 AM
evofloyd
Cruiser
Default thanks

Originally Posted by emwolb
i installed one in the primary on my 02 dyna low rider with a twin cam. i recently got a 92 evo fxr, and plan on putting one in it also. it looks like the 92 will take the same harley automatic primary chain tensioner as my 02 twin cam did. it's an easy install and makes it much easier to keep up with the maintenance. just remember to not cut the zip tie till you have it completely installed. it's spring loaded and the spring is what makes this chain tensioner work.
I did install it once, just thought It made thee chain a little to tight. I can tell it needs some work, when you let off the gas when slowing down she will jurk. So guess I'll install it. Just wasnted to know if any one had trouble with the adjuster,
thanks for you help

Floyd

Old 03-30-2011, 05:37 AM
widegliderider
Advanced

Haven't used the H-D version, but I have a Hayden M-6 on mine. Had to replace the springs after about 30,000 miles, but other than that it works great.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:12 AM
evofloyd
Cruiser
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by widegliderider
Haven't used the H-D version, but I have a Hayden M-6 on mine. Had to replace the springs after about 30,000 miles, but other than that it works great.
Going to stay with what works, the m-6.the HD adjuster just dont make sence, would put to much pressure on the trany shaft, and as the chain stretchs it would push it to high. dealer got me again. $120 I'm not going to use.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,689 Likes on 1,341 Posts

I'm always leery of these new-fangled fixes for very old systems. I recall spring washers for shovelhead rocker arms. Sounds like a great idea. They take up all the slack so the rocker arm wouldn't rattle around. Great addition to an old system and really quieted up the top end. Until you have them in your bike for 5-10K miles and they split in half and work their way through your oil system. Sometimes it's just better to put up with the stuff the way it is. Adjusting the chain ain't that big a deal.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know about the others but once my chains been set it never seems to be adjusted again.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

X2 on Dr Hess's post, it's not hard to adjust, does not really go bad, and if you don't pop the clutch on every shift or otherwise slam things around, it doesn't need adjusting all that often.

D

Old 03-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Put the auto adjuster on both my 99 and 03 and love them. There's a reason they come on every 07 and newer bike.....

Quick Reply: Primary Chain Auto Adjuster