Mild head work
Woods W6 Cam w/ torrington bearing
Steel breather gear
Oil pump rebuild
Braided oil lines
RevTech lifters
Rivera Primo pushrods
Anything else I should consider?

Attached Thumbnails Teardown progress-dscf6025.jpg   Teardown progress-dscf6034.jpg   Teardown progress-dscf6038.jpg   Teardown progress-dscf6044-2-.jpg   Teardown progress-dscf6024.jpg  

Last edited by alaskajeff; 03-21-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:54 PM
alaskajeff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cylinder walls still show some cross hatch hone marks after 55K miles. Not too shabby since the motor has never been apart before.

Attached Thumbnails Teardown progress-dscf6040.jpg  
Old 03-21-2011, 05:58 PM
98 FLHX
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were me spending my hard earned money, I'd re-consider the lifters.
Personally, not a fan of anything Rev Tech...
I use these:
http://www.compperformancegroupstore..._Code=LFTRPHRL
Their pushrods are outstanding as well...

Old 03-21-2011, 06:02 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When you take an engine apart, it should be like an autopsy. Examine all the pieces individually. Check for wear patterns, are they normal or are they worn "funny"?? Look to see if there is wear in places that shouldn't have any and measure all the pieces carefully to ensure all are within tolerances.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:49 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Sounds like you have a great combo coming along. When you finish it all up, please load it up and bring down here to the lower 48. We hate to have to wait four more months till its warm enough for you to give it a break in run....

Old 03-21-2011, 07:26 PM
alaskajeff
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Sounds like you have a great combo coming along. When you finish it all up, please load it up and bring down here to the lower 48. We hate to have to wait four more months till its warm enough for you to give it a break in run....
It probably won't be totally back together until sometime NEXT winter. Other family proirities and a limited budget thru the summer will require me to go slowly with the purchases and machine work. It will be a painful exercise in patience...........but worth it in the end.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:42 PM
alaskajeff
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 98 FLHX
If it were me spending my hard earned money, I'd re-consider the lifters.
Personally, not a fan of anything Rev Tech...
I use these:
http://www.compperformancegroupstore..._Code=LFTRPHRL
Their pushrods are outstanding as well...
Whats wrong with RevTech lifters? Have you had any specific problems with them? Aren't they made in USA? Not that it makes them good, but better than China made, right?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:44 PM
98 FLHX
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In answering your question, no, I have never had any problems with Rev Tech....because I don't buy their products. I don't know where their lifters are made.....it's my understanding that Rev Tech is Korean.

I do know first hand of numerous problems with various Rev Tech components....specifically, my next door neighbor's motor grenaded at 8900 miles...and the culprit, among other things...bad lifters which trashed the bottom end of his motor...
Granted, it was a Rev Tech 100" crate motor, so all components should be Rev Tech, one would think...
That is just one...another, should you ask....the motor siezed at 5200 miles...normal break in procedures...and I know for certain he wasn't beating on it...you guessed it....Rev Tech. This was a buddy who I've known for 25 years.
That's just two....and I know personally a few highly thought of wrenches in this area who will have nothing to do with Rev Tech for that very reason.

I'll freely admit I know nothing about Alaska, other than it's beautiful country, and a sportsmans paradise which I'd love....but around these parts, Rev Tech is known as Rev Wreck.

It's your money, and your ride....do what you'd like.

You asked if there was "anything else I should consider"... and I answered your question honestly.

Not trying to be an asshat...but rather an asset.

Last edited by 98 FLHX; 03-21-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:31 PM
alaskajeff
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 98 FLHX
In answering your question, no, I have never had any problems with Rev Tech....because I don't buy their products. I don't know where their lifters are made.....it's my understanding that Rev Tech is Korean.

I do know first hand of numerous problems with various Rev Tech components....specifically, my next door neighbor's motor grenaded at 8900 miles...and the culprit, among other things...bad lifters which trashed the bottom end of his motor...
Granted, it was a Rev Tech 100" crate motor, so all components should be Rev Tech, one would think...
That is just one...another, should you ask....the motor siezed at 5200 miles...normal break in procedures...and I know for certain he wasn't beating on it...you guessed it....Rev Tech. This was a buddy who I've known for 25 years.
That's just two....and I know personally a few highly thought of wrenches in this area who will have nothing to do with Rev Tech for that very reason.

I'll freely admit I know nothing about Alaska, other than it's beautiful country, and a sportsmans paradise which I'd love....but around these parts, Rev Tech is known as Rev Wreck.

It's your money, and your ride....do what you'd like.

You asked if there was "anything else I should consider"... and I answered your question honestly.

Not trying to be an asshat...but rather an asset.
Not a problem brother, didn't take anything but great information from your post! Food for thought FOR SURE. I am contacting my supplier to see if he has other lifter options available, like the Harley "B" or something else. I'm also considering switching from the Woods W6 to a V Thunder EVL 3010 or 3020. Leaning towards the 3010 due to the fact I am NOT a 80-90 MPH criuser (just not the road conditions here in Alaska for that IMHO) And even if there were, I'd rather get up to speed quicker and cruise comfortably near the speed limit... so the 1500-5800 RPM range of the 3010 seems more like what I would utilize more. What do you think?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:48 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,683 Likes on 850 Posts

Ya AJ, I'm with 98 FLHX on lifters, Harley "B's", V-thunders, S&S if you hit the lottery. I run the Woods W6H and it has it's advantages but needs detail on installation, go with the Vthunder cam for an average street build.
I hurt a set of Harley "B's" with the aggressive lobed Woods and just put a set of Ultima lifters in, they are now made by Johnson (USA) ran in the Ultima big cammed engines and priced reasonable. I"ll run them up a couple of times and be able to give a yea or nea but the lifters listed above are rock solid with a Vthunder cam. Good Luck and watch for Moose!

PS: check the rods for up and down play while your there, very very very ugly when that lower bearing fails, trust me.

Last edited by 1997bagger; 03-22-2011 at 01:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Teardown progress