EVO All Evo Model Discussion

replacing my first starter. Input

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:30 PM
DrewCfromSC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing my first starter. Input

Hello, going to upgrade my aging starter in my 98 FLHT. Was reading my repair manual and think im going to try it myself to save some cash.
This will be my firts attempt at changing motorcycle starters. Have some mechanical knowledge from musclecar background and tools and garage to work in.
The manual says to drain oil from primary cover plug. Any idea how much (drain pan size)to expect?
Any online vide of how to do this? Any input would be great.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Piper54
Novice

Its not too difficult Drew. I did mine last summer. I have a 95 Ultra Glide. There is about 3 quarts of oil in the primary housing. May be a bit tight sliding the new starter in but it will go. Make sure you tighten the bolts holding the starter to their proper torque and be double sure that you tighten the wiring properly to the starter. The job took me about an hour.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 438 Likes on 252 Posts

Don't forget to undo the jack shaft bolt in the primary and to take a pic of which order (and which way round) the parts come out as one piece will fit in backwards but you'll never get the jackshaft bolt back in if it is backwards.....oh just ask me how I found THAT one out many years ago!!!

06-on bikes have a starter like a car and you don't have to pull the primary to change the starter...joy!!!

Old 04-06-2011, 04:59 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Starter install is very straightforward , you'll have a quart or bit more oil in primary, pull primary cover , loosen jackshaft bolt ( has locking tab ), starter from exhaust side is held on by 2 allen bolts so you will need a swivel adapter and extention and ratchet, take positive cable off battery and disconect cable off starter lug , pull slide connector from side of starter and pull starter. I would highly recommend the ultima 1.4 or there bigger starter. I got mine from Jireh.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:17 AM
DrewCfromSC
Tourer

Originally Posted by Piper54
Its not too difficult Drew. The job took me about an hour.
Thanks! I will allow a whole day since its my first time to turn wrenches in about 5 years!

[quote=Spanners39;8151737]Don't forget to undo the jack shaft bolt in the primary and to take a pic of which order (and which way round) the parts come out as one piece will fit in backwards but you'll never get the jackshaft bolt back in if it is backwards.....oh just ask me how I found THAT one out many years ago!!!

Got my repair manual and have a list alread. Ok how do you know! Thats called a learning curve in South Carolina! LOL!

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
Starter install is very straightforward , you'll have a quart or bit more oil in primary, pull primary cover , loosen jackshaft bolt ( has locking tab ), starter from exhaust side is held on by 2 allen bolts so you will need a swivel adapter and extention and ratchet, take positive cable off battery and disconect cable off starter lug , pull slide connector from side of starter and pull starter. I would highly recommend the ultima 1.4 or there bigger starter. I got mine from Jireh.
Thanks! Looking at a 1.8 starter now and might go with that. Know of any online videos for this? I checked youtube but found nothing yet.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:28 AM
evofloyd
Cruiser

At 35000, I did the primary side when replacing the starter, all new seals, jack shaft, trany main seal & spacer,and new seal on the motor. Also new stater & rotor, primary chain and auto auto adjuster.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 AM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would replace the locking tab that "Ridemyevo" was referring to as they weaken everytime you bend it over. Also, there is a metal sleeve that marries the starter shaft to the starter plunger, Make sure you put it back the right way because one end is deeper than the other end and it's devided by a snap ring.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:16 PM
DrewCfromSC
Tourer

Thanks all. Well it might not be my starter after all. Seems the battery is dead now. Maybe it is the problem as well as a finger tight cable. Fingers crossed now! Id rather spend for a battery than spend for a starter!