EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Replace Sprocket Shaft Bearing Seal

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 01:21 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, that was the issue. I'm installing my apes now and 2000 miles later, I haven't lost a drop of oil out of the primary. I did replace the seal behind the stator, but that looked good. It most probably was the screws for the stator wire clamp. Good call 2006FLST!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:47 PM
dts
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool SH*&%# wish I woulda read this before

on a road trip and the seal went on my *91 had to get someone else do the work and the ***** leaked into my primary all the way home.had to stop every 50 miles empty my primary and fill my bucket to get it home,what a F*%#@&n mess! took out the seal at home and it wasn't even installed flush and the case was scored by something or someone!! after doing some research i thought maybe the case was hooped so decided to spend the $$$ and just go for a 113 ultima. fun choice but expensive road trip.any ideas as far as fixing my scored case?
at least I will have a chance to build a bar hopper for my intown days!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:54 PM
95yj
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dts
any ideas as far as fixing my scored case?
First, I would try putting another seal in if the other seal wasn't in all the way. If the case is scored bad, anaerobic gasket seal may solve the issue, otherwise you're into JBWeld to fill the scored lines. You'll probably need to sand that out smooth again. Also use something to fill the screw holes for the stator wiring bracket since these are drilled all the way through per previous posts in this thread. I used anaerobic sealer here and this solved my issues completely.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:49 PM
Delii Mon'Delii
5th Gear
Default Trnny vent hose pushing oil and air

Originally Posted by Spanners39
If that seal was shot you would more likely end up with the primary filling up with engine oil due to the pressure differentials.
ive been chasing an oil leak which turns out is coming from my tranny vent tube on my 98 xl1200c. Plus I can feel air pushing out the line while sitting and running. I hadn't fooled with my primary oil levels at all. Just started puking oil out the hose after a 75 mile ride. Is it a bad seal?
What seal exactly please and is it costly to repair? Thanks

Old 06-20-2017, 04:56 PM
95yj
Road Captain

Greetings. First off, you probably should have started a new thread instead of hijacking this five year old thread.

For your leak, a vent tube is a vent tube. There should be some pressure in your tranny from the gears functioning and that tube is made to vent any pressure. Most of the time if you are puking oil out the vent tube, then you have overfilled the tranny/primary. Also note that on the Sportster, your tranny and primary use the same oil so if you overfilled your primary, you overfilled your tranny. Pull your clutch inspection cover and check how much oil is in there.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Delii Mon'Delii
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 95yj
Greetings. First off, you probably should have started a new thread instead of hijacking this five year old thread.

For your leak, a vent tube is a vent tube. There should be some pressure in your tranny from the gears functioning and that tube is made to vent any pressure. Most of the time if you are puking oil out the vent tube, then you have overfilled the tranny/primary. Also note that on the Sportster, your tranny and primary use the same oil so if you overfilled your primary, you overfilled your tranny. Pull your clutch inspection cover and check how much oil is in there.
thanks for your help. As it states, I haven't fooled at all with my primary fluid. Bike is my daily, all the sudden it starts blowing oil out if the vent tube, especially on the highway. The primary level isn't the issue since it hasn't been filled and is level.
​​​​​​​Just trying to get my bike right while I'm in chemo, so sorry if I don't follow protocol