overlaoding circuit breaker

Old 06-19-2011, 01:21 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull_Duck
I have the same question for. 1998 Dyna posted under DYI Electrical

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...ml#post8471182

Am running stock headlamp. Added HD running lamps to engine guard.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks
Curious, when you connected the new lites up I'm assuming you connected the feed wire to one of the circuit breakers, in my case (problem ) I had the wire connected to the same side of breaker as the feed wire.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:24 AM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it would be a lot of work for minimal benefit, actually, unless you are running some monster headlight. And, with our electrical systems, I really don't think we can support a monster headlight.
Actually I have relayed my headlights on my truck with excellent results. By the time the voltage reaches the headlights after running through fuses, breakers and switches, there is significant voltage drop. Running heavy gauge wire from battery positive through an inline fuse and a relay to the headlight will increase voltage to the light, making it much brighter. Just increasing voltage by 1.5 volts to the light, like say from 10.7 to 12.5, DOUBLES the brightness.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Bull_Duck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
Curious, when you connected the new lites up I'm assuming you connected the feed wire to one of the circuit breakers, in my case (problem ) I had the wire connected to the same side of breaker as the feed wire.
Update - I replaced 30amp CB and the warmest 15amp CB. Wife rode her '98 Dyna for 100 miles. No issues. Situation normal. Thank you all!

Old 10-27-2012, 06:46 PM
tbroder55
Intermediate
Default Help

I lost all power to my start switch back lights so cant start. the power cut off, is it a circut breaker dont know. tbroder55

Old 10-27-2012, 06:51 PM
tbroder55
Intermediate
Default forgot

My problem is with a 1994 sporter. tbroder55

Old 10-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,682 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by tbroder55
I lost all power to my start switch back lights so cant start. the power cut off, is it a circut breaker dont know. tbroder55
Tom,
I would suggest complete sentences, capitalization, punctuation, and a better description of your problem.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:52 PM
stevequad
Cruiser

I had a similar problem after I changed my charging system to a 3 phase 40 amp. I found that I put the positive cable on the wrong side of the circuit breaker. When I changed that, everything was fine. In other words, my charging was going thru the breaker, along with running the bikes power, where it should have been a direct connect to the battery.

Just realized the original post is a year and a half old.

Last edited by stevequad; 10-27-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:29 AM
tbroder55
Intermediate

Thanks did not change the circut breaker. Had to allign the cam gears think I did it wrong as I started the bike got a backfire. Tried to start it again started go noise from engine. Think it overheated. Shut it off had a drink of water. Tryied to start it again and lost electric power. Think I screwed up.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 PM
ViltBik
Stage II

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
The main breaker, between the battery and everything else, located under the seat, is a 30 amp. If you put a 15 amp in there, that could cause problems.

Now, you appear to have some non-standard "accessories" and wiring on there. I suggest, after confirming that the main breaker is a 30, that you disconnect the extra stuff one system at a time and see if that changes your problem. It did not change the circut breaker. Had to allign the cam gears think I did it wrong as I started the bike got a backfire. Tried to start it again started go noise from engine. Think it overheated, fortunately I had backup circuit breakers available. Shut it off had a drink of water. Tryied to start it again and lost electric power. Think I screwed up.
Although this may be time consuming going one by one is the best way to approach the problem.

Last edited by ViltBik; 04-12-2014 at 07:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-22-2014, 12:55 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hrmm. Someone is using the search. Replying to a three year old thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: overlaoding circuit breaker