EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Help with the right cam for an 80" Evo?

Old 06-27-2011, 07:30 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,627 Likes on 842 Posts

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by rnoswal
So with the advent of EFI in all the Harleys now, the sound that they are so famous for is almost gone on all their current bikes? That is so sad. I wonder if anyone makes a plenom like the one you made for your EFI bike? And then, would that and a cam get that old idle sound back, or does it take a carb to get that sound? I am not going to lower the idle any more. I have experimented with that part of it some, but it really doesn't make much difference in the idle sound. I know a pretty progressive cam can have big effects on the idle, but am not sure how the EFI would handle it. Especially since the EV cams only have a few mild cams available for the evo engine with EFI.
A modded MM plenom with red injectors, PC3 can handle 600 lift but it sounds more like a 2 cylinder cammed small block Chevy. Aftermarket makes a big twin runner plenum and a Delphi single throat but not worth the money unless you are stuck on EFI.

Ev27/Ev13 and the MM with a PC3 tuned properly would be a good combo but add in a dyno tune to the dollar amount.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

So with EFI and a cam change, not locked into the EV 13, but can I get a nice, older Harley rumble at idle with this type of cam change. I won't mind the extra power but am looking for nice potato idle too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Russ
Russ,

No! Shovelheads have a lot to answer for, as they have heavier flywheels than Evos or twincams and so they tick-over at a lower engine speed, with THAT sound! As for your Evo, tick-over should be around 1,000rpm, which is a little faster and shouldn't be set lower.

The reason is that as each piston approaches compression it is slowed down, then accelerates when the cylinder fires and that repeats every revolution. At low crankshaft speeds that changing of speed up and down puts reversing loads into the engine, which is not good.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:28 PM
rnoswal
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should have bought that older Harley instead of this one. It had the carb and the sound, but more miles and not as nice as my Road King. Maybe a different cam will give me just a bit of idle rumble then, just enough to satisfy my ears, if only a little bit.

I understand what the heavier flywheel allows like you mentioned though and am feeling a little bit like the older Harley guys that bought the older AMF bikes. Why mess with a good, traditional sound but I guess thats the price for progress.

Russ

By the way, is that MG TZ an MGB with a V8?

Old 06-29-2011, 03:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

By the way, is that MG TZ an MGB with a V8?
No, it's a sedan (or saloon as we call them) with a Ford Mustang motor, one of only around 800 that were built before MG/Rover went bust. Had it from new in 2004, so it is much more modern than an MGB and limited to 155mph! They are quite rare, so not much about them on the internet. It's what we used to call a Q car over here, in other words it looks much like the rest of the range of these cars, with much smaller engines, but goes like the wind.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:33 AM
chopperNeil
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I can highly recomend the EV13, had the 27 installed on my old FXR and it was great but didnt want the same thing for the Road King, the EV13 as said comes on alot earlier and the bike is completely different with it, the top end from 75-80+ is not as aggresive as my FXR was but thats exactly way i wanted.

Added a Hi-4e ignition with the advance wound forward a bit and a screamin eagle coil and leads and the bike is now a absolute joy to ride with loads of power low down, even fully loaded with a tourpak large tent and a batwing it takes off well and cruises at 80-90 with no effort.

running a 190 main with a 45 pilot in the stock carb and am getting around 130-150 miles to a tank as well

Old 06-29-2011, 04:13 PM
sunka
Novice
Default Cam for 1990 FLHTC

I put a EV 27 in my older bagger and it really zipped it up. I cruise with my Sweetie of 28 years quite a bit, and am older, 58, so I carry some extra comfort gear most times. I like the zip and can accelerate up hill in either 5th or 6th gear now and I never could before.
1990 FLHTC, 80 inch stock cylinders and heads, Crane HI 4 single fire ignition with standard timing curve, EV 27 cam with SE adjustable push-rods, 44mm CV carb with 200 main and 50 slow jet, Kuryakyn Hi Five air cleaner, Thunderheader 2 into 1 exhaust, Ultima 6 speed fit into my 5 speed gear box, as well as a nice Jagg 10 row oil cooler. Runs well at 56k miles and cruises at 80 at 3200 RPM's. My question is, I have ridden about 500 miles now and I have a chirpy tinny clatter sometimes at idle. Sounds like the push-rods are loose. I took my primary cover off to make sure no loose bolts or such, everything is fine. I think I am going to readjust my push-rods from scratch again and make sure none are loose in the stays. (little nautical terminology), LOL. Anyone else have that issue with SE push-rods, they are a bit fatter than the OE ones. Thanks for your help with this.

Attached Thumbnails Help with the right cam for an 80" Evo?-kevin-mary-william-elora-081508-135.jpg   Help with the right cam for an 80" Evo?-kevin-mary-william-elora-081508-060.jpg  
Old 06-30-2011, 06:24 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sunka
I put a EV 27 in my older bagger and it really zipped it up. I cruise with my Sweetie of 28 years quite a bit, and am older, 58, so I carry some extra comfort gear most times. I like the zip and can accelerate up hill in either 5th or 6th gear now and I never could before.
1990 FLHTC, 80 inch stock cylinders and heads, Crane HI 4 single fire ignition with standard timing curve, EV 27 cam with SE adjustable push-rods, 44mm CV carb with 200 main and 50 slow jet, Kuryakyn Hi Five air cleaner, Thunderheader 2 into 1 exhaust, Ultima 6 speed fit into my 5 speed gear box, as well as a nice Jagg 10 row oil cooler. Runs well at 56k miles and cruises at 80 at 3200 RPM's. My question is, I have ridden about 500 miles now and I have a chirpy tinny clatter sometimes at idle. Sounds like the push-rods are loose. I took my primary cover off to make sure no loose bolts or such, everything is fine. I think I am going to readjust my push-rods from scratch again and make sure none are loose in the stays. (little nautical terminology), LOL. Anyone else have that issue with SE push-rods, they are a bit fatter than the OE ones. Thanks for your help with this.
Check your pushrods for "witness marks", they indicate contact between the pushrods and the covers. If you see any, you will have to take a die grinder to the offending parts of the pushrod covers. Also adjust one pushrod at a time making sure it is on the heel of the cam. This takes a little longer, but works a lot better. Hope this helps.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:46 PM
Derrick Mosley
Stage I

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I put an EV 27 in mine and it was like a new bike. I am like you in that I am not a hotrodder but this cam gave me the power I wanted when I wanted it. I hear a EV 13 is also a good choice but I don't know. While you are in there you want to make sure you have a torrington cam bearing.
what all did you have to do to install cam I got the ev27 and I want to put it in and not sure if I have everything I got just the cam and the gasket and adjustable push rods is there anything I'm missing?

Old 05-03-2021, 04:03 AM
K. Lindberg
Road Captain
Received 366 Likes on 208 Posts

Hi Derrick.

You posted Your question in a ten year old thread.
(I've done the same thing myself).

Perhaps You could start a new thread with your question, and continue in that thread with comming pictures from the cam installation and the result from first test drive?

Oh, and do not forget to mention what year and model of bike you are working on.
There are some really experienced people on this forum, and they will be able to assist even better if they know what bike you're asking about.

The following 2 users liked this post by K. Lindberg:
98hotrodfatboy (05-03-2021), mike131 (05-03-2021)