EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Gas Leak from tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Jim Anderson
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Leak from tank

96 Electra Glide FLHTCI - I just got my bike back from the shop (had new gaskets put in due to oil leaks) and find the gas tank leaking from the rear (return) fuel line port.

Seems the threads on the return may be partially cross threaded. Put new o-rings in but it didn't stop the leak. Can I use some sort of plumbers tape to stop it? I can cinch up the ports nice an snug but still leaks.

Jim

Old 07-18-2011, 03:42 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

You can try...no guarrantee it will work though....

Old 07-18-2011, 04:41 AM
GAZRNR
Advanced

You will have to change the fuel lines. The o rings will not fix the problem. I tried and tried on mine. Then swapped out the fule lines woth SS line from J&P Cycles and it was fixed one & for all.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:57 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The above is sound advice, do not ride it until you fix it. having a bike catch fire under you at speed is uncomfortable to say the least!!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Look and see where the leak is coming from. If it is from the threads then you need to repair the threads. If it is from in between the fitting, then replace the lines. Don't try to snug them up too tight, or your bugger the threads worse than they are now.

The SS Goodridge lines are good quality, and the internal o rings are replaceable (that is probably where yours are leaking from). You will also need the o-ring kit from HD 17403-95, and a few clips HD11150.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Jim Anderson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GAZRNR
You will have to change the fuel lines. The o rings will not fix the problem. I tried and tried on mine. Then swapped out the fule lines woth SS line from J&P Cycles and it was fixed one & for all.
Gazrnr - I wasn't able to find the S&S Line from J&P Cycles (scoured the web site thoroughly) but how might it help fix what might be a screwed up bung.

Jim

Old 07-18-2011, 08:50 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Goodridge fuel lines HDFL005 $160 plus shipping for BOTH lines included from J and P cycle.
Also on ebay for HDFL005 $155 total for BOTH with shipping for Goodridge lines.
When you call a Harley dealer make sure to sit down first...one fuel line is $180 so both would be $360 and they ussually have to be ordered. Internal O-ring located at swivel (leak area) on older fuel injection lines is not accessible. I take it you have a two line fuel tank with earlier fuel injection. Also, be extra careful when threading since cross threading is very easy to do because of positioning.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:59 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

as far as fixing the threads, you can try a 18mm x 1.5 bottoming tap. If that doesn't work You can try Permatex thread repair. Look it up, fairly simple to use, and should hold up well.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Jim Anderson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by larsfum
Look and see where the leak is coming from. If it is from the threads then you need to repair the threads. If it is from in between the fitting, then replace the lines. Don't try to snug them up too tight, or your bugger the threads worse than they are now.

The SS Goodridge lines are good quality, and the internal o rings are replaceable (that is probably where yours are leaking from). You will also need the o-ring kit from HD 17403-95, and a few clips HD11150.
It looks like the leak is from the Return Check Valve. Replaced the o-rings on the Fuel Return Line Fitting, but that didn`t stop the leak. Threads on the Fuel Return Line Fitting seem ok so my guess its the Return Check Valve threads that are screwed. The Fuel Supply and Return Lines look ok.

If I can`t find some sort of way of using a thread tape to stop the leak, would I have to replace the in tank Return Line and Return Check Valve.

Jim

Old 07-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Jim Anderson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by larsfum
as far as fixing the threads, you can try a 18mm x 1.5 bottoming tap. If that doesn't work You can try Permatex thread repair. Look it up, fairly simple to use, and should hold up well.
Thanks larsfum:

Will try the Permatex thread repair first. Then the 18mm x 1.5 bottoming tap. Always one thing leading to another eh .

Jim

Quick Reply: Gas Leak from tank