EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,682 Likes on 850 Posts
Default Sturgis

Taking the white bike to Sturgis shortly and stretch it's legs in the Badlands, confident with the Evo holding up for the week with my new Ultra riding buddies and getting excited as this is my first trip.

List some places I need to go and and situations I need to stay away from. Motel is away from the Zoo and will ride in one day to see Full throttle and main strip and the rest will be riding.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have a $10 beer for me

Old 07-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Stay away from the PoPo. If you drink, stay off the roads. Period. They will get you as that is a major source of revenue. Also best to leave the outlaws alone. Leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. Bring LOTS of sunscreen, and stop and put it on immediately if you even start to feel like you're burning. Don't wait until the next gas stop or it will be too late. Don't forget to goo up your face/ears too.

Don't run off and leave the twinkies on the interstate.

Otherwise, the big things to see/ride to include Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Deadwood, etc. Schedule a day to walk Main Street. We camp at Hog Heaven, which has a bar and bands and is like 5 minutes from down town. Not going this year for various reasons, including needing a break from being ripped off. (Yeah, $10 beer and a $10 salad.) The Road Kill Cafe on Main Street is OK. Don't stick you too bad. Oh yeah, the best/cheapest place to eat in Sturgis is the grocery store 1 block off Main Street. Nice cafeteria there. And the convention center is a block or two from there and nicely air conditioned with a bunch of vendors.

Have phun.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:33 AM
AJRK1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time also, friends say go to deadwood, devils tower, rushmore, spearfish and full throttle saloon. O yeah!!!!!!!

Old 07-24-2011, 01:02 PM
uhaul
Stage III

rally veteran here dont lisyen to yhe negative. there are fools that keep the law busy. i have never paid 10 bucks a beer ther like 5 bucks if u like 2 drink there cheap beer just search and ask.if your going your best bet is camping around sturgis that why yr going if u saty in rapid thats 2 far from the party. you could stay in spearfish city park i dont know what the rates are u can call. a great time will be had dont worry about anything just enjoy.but like i said the party is in all the towns u could camp or rent in nemo . have a good time .jay

Old 07-24-2011, 01:11 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I've done pretty much all of the rides there, but my two favorite are probably Needles HWY, and Spearfish canyon. All of the ones people are about to mention to you hear will be good ones though, they're all good ones!

Old 07-24-2011, 02:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,902 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Take a 90 mile ride east to the Badlands it's a site and there's all kinds kinds of history sites around there also and you'll miss most of the crowds .

Oh ya if your camping any get a good strong waterproof tent and an air mattress . There are some brutal thunder storms that roll there fast and hard pretty regular .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 07-24-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:45 PM
dualsport
Intermediate

Do "good and strong" and "tent" go together??? lol! I riding my RK to Sturgis for the first time also! Staying at Glencoe and hoping to have a great time!! See y'all on the 1st of August!!! Whoop! Ride safe everyone!

Old 07-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

We went through The Great Sturgis Storm of 2009. You wanna talk storms, man, that was it. 30 minutes of hail, tent collapsed and flooded, etc. And we were VERY lucky. We only had golf ball sized instead of softball+ sized like others had. We saw bikes that looked like someone took a baseball bat to them. Yeah, tell me about the storms. And that was our 11th Sturgis.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:16 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,682 Likes on 850 Posts

Appreciate the info and I guess I'm not a real biker with a motel and enclosed trailer but the Wizard of Oz storms and watching the white bike get pulverized isn't my idea of a good time knowing how much time I have in the paint job.

Don't run off and leave the twinkies on the interstate.
Loosening up the throttle cables for the week, I need the Twinkee riders to get home

Quick Reply: Sturgis