EVO All Evo Model Discussion

I need a singlefire ignition edumacation...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default I need a singlefire ignition edumacation...

I am looking into getting a single fire ignition and coil, not for performance but to solve an issue I’ve been chasing for a couple years. I need one that either has a separate timing adjustments for the rear cylinder or a built in set up for same. I prefer the type that mounts under the seat but a nosecone type would be OK.

I’ve looked into the Daytona and DynaTech 2000 and the Dynatech advertises a “rear cylinder offset” which I think means it will fire at the same timing as the front in single fire mode. Is that what it means?

I believe my cam has too much overlap and I’m getting a popping sort of misfire from the rear cylinder at idle and low/constant throttle settings. Trust me, I’ve tried everything under the sun short of swapping out the cam-it runs like a raped ape when you are on this cam and I don’t want to mess that up…and start over…

What are my options as far as companies and models, most important is reliability...Any coils better than others?

Thanks
Doug

Old 09-05-2011, 07:38 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug S
I am looking into getting a single fire ignition and coil, not for performance but to solve an issue I’ve been chasing for a couple years. I need one that either has a separate timing adjustments for the rear cylinder or a built in set up for same. I prefer the type that mounts under the seat but a nosecone type would be OK.

I’ve looked into the Daytona and DynaTech 2000 and the Dynatech advertises a “rear cylinder offset” which I think means it will fire at the same timing as the front in single fire mode. Is that what it means?

I believe my cam has too much overlap and I’m getting a popping sort of misfire from the rear cylinder at idle and low/constant throttle settings. Trust me, I’ve tried everything under the sun short of swapping out the cam-it runs like a raped ape when you are on this cam and I don’t want to mess that up…and start over…

What are my options as far as companies and models, most important is reliability...Any coils better than others?

Thanks
Doug
No. Rear cylinder offset, which the Daytona TwinTec also has - enables you to vary the timing of the spark delivered to the rear cylinder by degrees (advanced or retarded) from the normal setting of 0 degrees offset. This can help with preignition or detonation issues on some bikes, but is usually not needed.

I run the TwinTec in single fire mode on Bertha, our 95 FLHTP - primarily because I can. The single fire really doesn't do anything other than not fire the spark plugs on the cylinders' exhaust strokes. A lot has been written about single fire ignitions on Evos... most of it saying that it offers no performance difference whatsoever. I have never noticed any.

The main advantage of these ignitions is that you can very the spark advance to dial in your bike to its unique timing. You want to set the timing to the most advanced you can without the bike pinging. TwinTec recommends starting at 7 on a scale from 1 to 10... but Bertha pinged like mad until I dialed the advance all the way back to 4. She has a V-Thunder EVL-3010 cam - which is an excellent cam, but one has a good deal of overlap (something like 30 degrees, if I remember correctly), and it likes some revs. It doesn't start pulling strong until about 3000 RPM, and pings under that if you twist the throttle hard in too-high of a gear. I find myself downshifting when going up hills, to keep the revs up around 3000 or more.

The TwinTec also has a "Multi Spark Discharge" feature that when enabled delivers a series of sparks to each cylinder at idle and low RPMs. This is supposed to help the bike run smoother at idle... but I've never noticed any difference at all having it enabled or disabled on Bertha.

I got the TwinTec kit, which includes their single-fire coil. What model bike to you have? You have to run another wire up to the coil to use single fire mode, because the single fire coil is actually two separate coils, and each side needs it's own wire from the TwinTec ignition unit. The kit also came with their wire, which you have to make up. I threw those away and got a set of pre-made H-D Screamin' Eagle wires at the dealer. They have worked great.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:47 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dyna and crane are the two best for what you want, remember the Ultima is a re-badged Dyna. Crane was bought by S&S and production was stopped or a while. They have started production again, but I haven't seen any of the units yet.
Rear cylinder offset allows you to advance or retard the rear cylinder to adjust the timing of that cylinder. Sometimes the timing cup/rotor may not be cut exactlly where it needs to be and this allows you to bring it back into specs. Also some engine combinations like a little rear cylinder timing changes.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:08 AM
Doug S
Road Master

ngh,

I am running a 94 softail custom. What model ignition do you have, and how do you adjust the rear cylinder timing. I'm looking at the model below and I didn't see where they had any kits listed. Thanks for the help

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/model_1006.html

Doug

Old 09-06-2011, 06:09 AM
Doug S
Road Master

double tapped..

Last edited by Doug S; 09-06-2011 at 06:12 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

You need the interface cable and the downloadable program to do rear cylinder offset. You also need to be in single fire mode, so you will also need a single fire coil if you don't already have one. Hope this helps.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Doug S
Road Master

Thanks John,

Any preference for brand of coils, as far as reliability goes.

I'm going to talk to their tech support about this down load and programing to make sure it does what I want. I'm not finding much in writing about about it..

Doug

Old 09-08-2011, 07:41 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

We try to stay with the same brand coil as the ignition. This can prevent the manufacturer of either from blaming a failure on the other component and makes warranty easier too. Hope this helps.