EVO All Evo Model Discussion

6 speed transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

The Baker DD6 transmission has the same final gearing as the standard 5 speed. It is a direct drive transmission, that means when in high gear, the mainshaft is locked to the main drive gear.

However, the Baker DD6 kit comes with a compensator sprocket to change the primary gearing, but that has nothing to do with the transmission, and it does not need to be used in conjunction with the DD6.

So you get a choice, run the transmission with the standard primary gearing, and you get the same high gear ratio, with 6 close ratio gears, or change the primary gearing, and as Tom said, get a more efficient way to lower cruising RPM.

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
If you will notice, the people who say you don't need a six speed, don't have one.
Oh, there are some here that have has bad experiences with 6 speed transmissions, even Baker units...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 09-12-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:37 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I put a RevTech 6 speed in my 1998 softail back in 98' the bike has about 87k on it now. It was a wonderful transition, it takes all the vibration out of the bike, you can even see out of the review mirror. The gear ratio from 1st to 5th are the same, and 6th is like overdrive. I get between 55-60 MPG. I do have the Evo 27 cam, Vance & Hines pipes and a Kuryakyn Hypercharger air cleaner. I don't think you will ever regret changing to a 6 speed if you do a lot of traveling.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts
Default rear views???

Originally Posted by flashprez
I put a RevTech 6 speed in my 1998 softail back in 98' the bike has about 87k on it now. It was a wonderful transition, it takes all the vibration out of the bike, you can even see out of the review mirror. The gear ratio from 1st to 5th are the same, and 6th is like overdrive. I get between 55-60 MPG. I do have the Evo 27 cam, Vance & Hines pipes and a Kuryakyn Hypercharger air cleaner. I don't think you will ever regret changing to a 6 speed if you do a lot of traveling.
I will need video evidence to believe you can see anything but headlight blurs out of the rear view on an Evo. Seriously, I am just joking but my mirrors look like "muscle massagers". LOL

Old 09-28-2011, 05:07 AM
hot95hog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would and have gone with a Revtech 6 speed overdrive. If you cruise around 70 that extra gear comes in handy, check the revtec catalog page 11.11 on the on-line catalog. This kit is a simple bolt in operation. A bit more difficult if the Oil bag needs to be removed (softail) But if you got echanical skills you can do it easy

Old 09-28-2011, 03:03 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by hot95hog
I would and have gone with a Revtech 6 speed overdrive. If you cruise around 70 that extra gear comes in handy, check the revtec catalog page 11.11 on the on-line catalog. This kit is a simple bolt in operation. A bit more difficult if the Oil bag needs to be removed (softail) But if you got echanical skills you can do it easy
I have been toying with the cartredge option but I have been told I need several special tools (totaling $1500) to get into a transmission. For that reason I am looking at getting a whole transmission. I had the big socket made but I don't know about the rest of the tools.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

I have been toying with the cartredge option but I have been told I need several special tools (totaling $1500) to get into a transmission.

Buy the tools from George`s Garge Tools, it will cost you about $350 for all the tools you will need.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:30 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Buy the tools from George`s Garge Tools, it will cost you about $350 for all the tools you will need.

Thank you I will look into it.

Thank you every one for your opinions. I don't have to make a decision till November and your thoughts are very helpful.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:55 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Having just gone through a bad experience with a 6-speed install (had to have another shop do it over again) I'll weigh in with my two cents worth.

My opinions on a 6-speed install:

1. I would go with a gear set instead of a complete transmission. I was told by a shop that does a lot of transmissions, that it's actually more work to install a complete transmission than it is to install a gear set. If someone knows differently for sure I'd like to hear that.

2. Personally, I'd recommend a Baker OD 6-speed. Sure there are a lot of cheaper gear sets out there but they are just that - cheaper. That's why Baker offers a warranty on their gear sets that NO ONE even comes close to. In all honesty, I seriously considered a Harley gear set but, Harley only has a two-year warranty (as do most other companies). Baker gear sets have a 5-year/50K mile warranty. Bottom line is you get what you pay for.

3. Pay someone to install the gear set that knows what they're doing and offers a warranty on their labor. At the end of the day, by the time you buy the tools, even if you can get them for $350, for a few hundered more, you can have the gear set professionally installed and get a warranty on the labor. I just had my gear set installed for $650 (which is actually a little high). IMHO it's not worth my time to do it myself to save $300. Especially, when I can pay someone who literally does hundreds of 6-speed conversions a year and be assured that it will be done right the first time.

4. Whoever suggested dropping the primary gear by 1 tooth was dead on. In fact, I dropped mine by 2 teeth. With the 6-speed OD gear set, in 6th gear I'm running 500 RPM lower on the interstate at 65-70 MPH.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Thatzmister2u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Five speed bro. I have an 07 6 speed and it's awkward. To tall, especially if your buddies are running a 5.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:14 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Like said - 4 speed, 5 speed . 6 speed, even a 13 speed in a semi truck is just more splits B4 the one to one is achieved. (yes I am aware most 13 have OD)
A true OD has to be turning faster than the Mainshaft. (or it is not really an OD )
OD, Now that's a kool thing, but -There is a parasitic drag on top of that too.
Nothing is free.
If To slow dwn your RPM @ FDR is required.-
Like mentioned you can cheat with 6 speed and primary gearing.
Is it worth it?
It's your money.
Engines define transmissions as the engineers say.
A whimper engine needs lots of gears.
A strong engine needs one (like a steam engine)
The HD has plenty of grunt .
Now to split it all up may seem like a great thing, but not at all necessary

Quick Reply: 6 speed transmission?