Carb Cough

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 PM
robkei
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Cough

Yet another carb issue.

I have a carb cough. When it started, it was one “miss” that always occurred during acceleration right at 50 MPH in 4th and right at 60 MPH in 5th. It has now progressed to happening in all gears, at 20 MPH in 1st, at 30 MPH in 2nd, etc. It does not backfire, it just misses. It does not happen consistently. In 5 miles, it may miss 10 or so times. The lights/electrics do NOT blink out when this happens. It does not happen when the motor is cold (having an Evo, I always warm up the motor until the rear rocker box is a bit warm). It increases in frequency not only with a warmed up motor, but also with increased air temperature.

I have a ’99 FLSTC, 80 inch Evo. Mods include an Andrews EV27 cam, a Thunderslide kit in the Keihin CV carb, Samson True Duals Fishtails, removal of the vacuum petcock (replacing it with non-vacuum) and a Dyna 2000 ignition module (set on curve 1 when the problem started, now on curve 2). All of these mods were in place and running fine prior to the cough development and nothing new was done just prior to the cough.

I sprayed carb cleaner on the intake manifold and could not detect a leak. I put a bigger idle jet in (48-->50) which made the problem worse. Putting the old one back in calmed it back down. Leaning or richening the fuel mixture has no effect. Plugs look fine.

It feels like an intake manifold leak.

Whaddya think?

Old 10-23-2011, 08:49 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior

A carb when cold will do things like that...Slightly lean in fuel mix. I've learned to deal with it or leave the choke out a bit more....Now if you running hot, in a Hot area... quite a different thing.

Last edited by oppirs; 10-23-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:03 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

My stock carb used to cough. I replaced it with a S&S E and the cough went away.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:04 AM
PeteRock
Intermediate

How's the air filter?

Old 10-24-2011, 12:49 AM
robkei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PeteRock
How's the air filter?
Just cleaned it. Wasn't too dirty to begin with....

Old 10-24-2011, 12:51 AM
robkei
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oppirs
A carb when cold will do things like that...Slightly lean in fuel mix. I've learned to deal with it or leave the choke out a bit more....Now if you running hot, in a Hot area... quite a different thing.
Doesn't miss a beat when cold, only when it warms up.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:59 AM
oppirs
Road Warrior

I feel your pain. Mine will do a hick-up only when colder & running just above idle, when going down the road. Since I'm used to it, I can give it a shot of throttle.

When did you last rebuild your carb? Your probably right about an intake leak. If you use a V.O.E.S hose look at that. Make sure that plug you used when you took off the vacuum petcock are still sealing good.

A bit of info may help us. How many miles on bike, miles since mods, how long in months/yrs since mods. Did you let it sit for awhile with E10 gas in the carb?

Last edited by oppirs; 10-24-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:58 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Have you checked your float level? With a warm motor does the problem go away if you pull the choke on? When did you last change your plugs? Evos can do some seriously weird **** when the plugs are getting on a bit, even though they look fine.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:50 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,901 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Originally Posted by robkei
Doesn't miss a beat when cold, only when it warms up.
I'd suspect the beginnings of an intake leak if the problems comes on as it warms up , wouldn't hurt to check your exhaust pipes at the heads too .

Old 10-24-2011, 06:45 AM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do the basics first. I had plugs go south on my EVO about 2 months ago. Started coughing first and then finally just left me stranded. Luckily I was in my neighborhood.

I also had plug wires go bad on the twin cam I had. It had the same symptoms. The thing about bad wires is they almost never act up until after the bike is warmed up. I found out my wires were bad when I reached down for reserve and hit my wires. And they lit me up

Quick Reply: Carb Cough