EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Installation of TSSM (factory security system)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:06 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Installation of TSSM (factory security system)

For those that are interested.....everyone knows EVO's never came with any security system.

After I installed the OEM electric guages earlier....that got me interested in the turn signal security module (TSSM). So, I started searching for that kinda stuff....

I came across 69176-02 which was the TSSM plus the key fob. The 1997-1998 FL models require an installation kit 68346-01. It was a Harley retrofit kit. I was able to get both on Ebay for $45. I thought cheap enough....so what the heck.

The installation kit has a small red light that is the security light. The kit has you drill a small hole in the inner fairing for that light. However, since I have the 2000-2003 guages installed...I was able to utilize the security key light in the speedometer.

The difficult part was mounting the TSSM in its proper location as there is not much room and it is an awkard piece. It took several attempts to get it right. The instructions show you replace the grey wire (ignition) from the back of the fuse block from the grey wire from the new harness. Then take that disconnected wire and plug it back into the new harness...easier said that done. The instructions did not state that the wire from the new harness was hidden and was up inside the wire sleeve. The illustration shows that it should just be there.

Then the programming part....it took me and my wife. She read the instructions while I doing the steps. Frustrating and somewhat confusing.....hit this, watch this, hit this and press, press and hold twice....etc. Confusing.....I still never got the manual code set right.
I will find somebody that is really good at setting the manual code....(someone that I trust).

All in all.....it works just like it should. The key fob will arm and disarm the motorcycle. The key light flashes when armed. I think I will like it if and when I must leave the bike in a crappy place. Motels/hotels, stores, places where I cannot keep an eye on it....are the places I'll mainly use it.

I will purchase one extra fob as the kit only came with one. These are inexpensive. I might even purchase the siren.

The best part....none of this requires Dealer only steps or installation. You can do it all yourself. As the economy worsens and possible theft rise....it's nice having the factory security system.

For those that are interested....

Old 12-04-2011, 07:13 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Do you know if they make the TSSM plus the key fob for a '95 FLSTC?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:59 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Do you know if they make the TSSM plus the key fob for a '95 FLSTC?
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J02274.pdf

Far as I know, the only OEM HD TSSM were for the 1997-1999 FL models and the 1996-1999 Dyna models.

If your bike uses the turn signal module 68540-96...more than likely you can retrofit a TSSM. The harness basically bypasses the TSM and replaces it with the TSSM.

Honestly, I never knew Harley ever made these retrofit kits.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:48 AM
buiductien90
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me! Please!

Hi.I'm Vietnamese
I want to remove the TSSM from Harley Davidson Touring 2010
I don't know remove it.
Help me, please!

Old 05-05-2014, 05:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by buiductien90
Hi.I'm Vietnamese
I want to remove the TSSM from Harley Davidson Touring 2010
I don't know remove it.
Help me, please!
Hi Tien and welcome to HDF from the UK. The TSSM on your bike is a later version than the model described here. I suggest you visit the Touring section and ask in there. Those members should have more experience of your bike to help you.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:32 AM
Scottypierre
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EVOrider
For those that are interested.....everyone knows EVO's never came with any security system.

After I installed the OEM electric guages earlier....that got me interested in the turn signal security module (TSSM). So, I started searching for that kinda stuff....

I came across 69176-02 which was the TSSM plus the key fob. The 1997-1998 FL models require an installation kit 68346-01. It was a Harley retrofit kit. I was able to get both on Ebay for $45. I thought cheap enough....so what the heck.

The installation kit has a small red light that is the security light. The kit has you drill a small hole in the inner fairing for that light. However, since I have the 2000-2003 guages installed...I was able to utilize the security key light in the speedometer.

The difficult part was mounting the TSSM in its proper location as there is not much room and it is an awkard piece. It took several attempts to get it right. The instructions show you replace the grey wire (ignition) from the back of the fuse block from the grey wire from the new harness. Then take that disconnected wire and plug it back into the new harness...easier said that done. The instructions did not state that the wire from the new harness was hidden and was up inside the wire sleeve. The illustration shows that it should just be there.

Then the programming part....it took me and my wife. She read the instructions while I doing the steps. Frustrating and somewhat confusing.....hit this, watch this, hit this and press, press and hold twice....etc. Confusing.....I still never got the manual code set right.
I will find somebody that is really good at setting the manual code....(someone that I trust).

All in all.....it works just like it should. The key fob will arm and disarm the motorcycle. The key light flashes when armed. I think I will like it if and when I must leave the bike in a crappy place. Motels/hotels, stores, places where I cannot keep an eye on it....are the places I'll mainly use it.

I will purchase one extra fob as the kit only came with one. These are inexpensive. I might even purchase the siren.

The best part....none of this requires Dealer only steps or installation. You can do it all yourself. As the economy worsens and possible theft rise....it's nice having the factory security system.

For those that are interested....
Hi EVOrider,
Do you remember what pin on the speedometer connector corresponds to the security key light ?
Thanks