EVO All Evo Model Discussion

My 1990 FLSTC 1340 Evo project

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

After the cam, you'll probably need to change up the carb jetting. That's the "carb work" implied. You could do some searching on the site here for similar setups and what needles they use, to give you a good starting point.

I used to hate EFI. Now, carbs are a PITA. With the Megasquirt stuff, (my Corolla, RN Truck, Dr.Linda's Sportster), it's just a matter of driving around, logging, adjusting the tune while you drive, or after you stop, etc. Too rich? Clicky-clicky, it's leaner. Kinda spoils you.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:39 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Upping the comp helps

Old 12-18-2011, 08:14 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Assuming the engine is in good health and does not need to be rebuilt (that would really eat into your 2k budget)...

If the bike is still stock, then it has a CV carburetor, 1990 was the first year for the big twins and the CV carb.

It already has a Torrington cam bearing.

I am a big fan of the Andrews EV27 cam, it, combined with some decent free flowing pipes and correct jetting will really wake up the engine.

When you do the cam install, press the old gear off the stock cam and install it onto the EV 27.

If it is a high mileage engine you may want to replace the cam bushing that is in the cam cover, the best bet there is take the cover to a good independent shop and have it done, because the bushing must be reamed after it is installed.

I`m not a big fan of adjustable pushrods, they are great if you do a lot of cam changes, but after the second one came loose on my engine, I went back to the one piece rods and tossed the adjustables.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Serialk1llr
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Assuming the engine is in good health and does not need to be rebuilt (that would really eat into your 2k budget)...

If the bike is still stock, then it has a CV carburetor, 1990 was the first year for the big twins and the CV carb.

It already has a Torrington cam bearing.

I am a big fan of the Andrews EV27 cam, it, combined with some decent free flowing pipes and correct jetting will really wake up the engine.

When you do the cam install, press the old gear off the stock cam and install it onto the EV 27.

If it is a high mileage engine you may want to replace the cam bushing that is in the cam cover, the best bet there is take the cover to a good independent shop and have it done, because the bushing must be reamed after it is installed.

I`m not a big fan of adjustable pushrods, they are great if you do a lot of cam changes, but after the second one came loose on my engine, I went back to the one piece rods and tossed the adjustables.
Engine and bike is in excellent shape for 20 yrs. I'm the 2nd owner and know its past. 21k miles, garage kept in climate control, and babied by the previous owner. The only thing is the black finish on the heads started to flake some years back, so it kinda looks haggard up close if you are picky like myself.

After many, many hours combing the interweb I think I zero'd in that the carbs are 40mm CV, and I do appreciate the confirmation of that.

As far as exhausts go, I really, really wanted to go duals with fishtails. To make that happen I am pretty limited, and it seems like a Bassani Power Curve is about the only header out there I can find specifically mentioning my model year as being a fit for a dual setup. Samson advised I can run their setup, but will have to make a hole in the frame for a bracket to hang the exhaust on one side (not a huge fan of this idea). My big concern here is that since this is a mild build planned, I may not be moving enough exhaust to make any positive gains and in fact may lose low-to-mid range torque (the exact opposite of what I want). Or least that seems to be the prevailing opinion.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:41 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Serial
The mods you are doing almost exactly match the ones I have done to my '95 (which did not have a torrington bearing in it so make sure you check yours). As for the Samson pipes needing a hole (they are easy to drill and tap) I found on my frame two flat circles where the shole should be (and is on the newer bikes but has a plastic insert) and simplly drilled and tapped but I got one slightly off but it still works so if you decide to go that route be carefull.

Attached Thumbnails My 1990 FLSTC 1340 Evo project-img_0870.jpg  

Last edited by texashillcountry; 12-19-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:17 PM
machinehed
Road Master

Your 14th post actually listed the miles on your motor and thats a good thing considering the questions you are asking .
At 21000 miles on a 1990 , your engine is just nicely broken in !
My new to me 1990 has 70000 and im asking the same questions .?!

Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Serialk1llr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Serial
The mods you are doing almost exactly match the ones I have done to my '95 (which did not have a torrington bearing in it so make sure you check yours). As for the Samson pipes needing a hole (they are easy to drill and tap) I found on my frame two flat circles where the shole should be (and is on the newer bikes but has a plastic insert) and simplly drilled and tapped but I got one slightly off but it still works so if you decide to go that route be carefull.
THC, when you did your build, did go the true dual exhaust route like the Touring models? If so, did you lose any low-to-mid range torque that you could notice?

I've tried to educate myself as much as I can on exhaust tech, and one thing I keel coming back to is unless its a 2-in-1 exhaust shouldn't they all be the same. After all, 1 exhaust pipe per cylinder has to be the same no matter how they are ran. Only differences would be is if they are equal length, and diameter.

What exhaust are you running and what motor is in your ride?

Old 12-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Samson_tech
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Serialk1llr
Engine and bike is in excellent shape for 20 yrs. I'm the 2nd owner and know its past. 21k miles, garage kept in climate control, and babied by the previous owner. The only thing is the black finish on the heads started to flake some years back, so it kinda looks haggard up close if you are picky like myself.

After many, many hours combing the interweb I think I zero'd in that the carbs are 40mm CV, and I do appreciate the confirmation of that.

As far as exhausts go, I really, really wanted to go duals with fishtails. To make that happen I am pretty limited, and it seems like a Bassani Power Curve is about the only header out there I can find specifically mentioning my model year as being a fit for a dual setup. Samson advised I can run their setup, but will have to make a hole in the frame for a bracket to hang the exhaust on one side (not a huge fan of this idea). My big concern here is that since this is a mild build planned, I may not be moving enough exhaust to make any positive gains and in fact may lose low-to-mid range torque (the exact opposite of what I want). Or least that seems to be the prevailing opinion.
In the years before 1995 where all the Softail frames did not have a mounting location on the left side of the frame everyone just drilled and tapped the holes on the forged area on the left side of the frame. All you have to do is line everything up and center punch where the holes should be using the left mounting bracket as a template. It is always best to have your bike upright with a frame jack so you can get it all lined up properly. We used to make these crossover systems long before the left muffler bracket mounting location was first put on the Softail frames in 1995.
Thanks,
JR

Old 12-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Serial

Unfortunately for the OP, '95 was the first year the Softail frame got the left side mount for duals on the frame. My '94 lacks the left side mounting holes, and that's why I settled for the 2 into 1 pipes.

Harley used to offer a dual pipe setup for the older Softails, but it used a "mickey mouse" bracket for the left side that mounted to the swingarm pivot, and I didn't like the looks of it.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 12-19-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:05 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Serialk1llr
THC, when you did your build, did go the true dual exhaust route like the Touring models? If so, did you lose any low-to-mid range torque that you could notice?

I've tried to educate myself as much as I can on exhaust tech, and one thing I keel coming back to is unless its a 2-in-1 exhaust shouldn't they all be the same. After all, 1 exhaust pipe per cylinder has to be the same no matter how they are ran. Only differences would be is if they are equal length, and diameter.

What exhaust are you running and what motor is in your ride?
My exhaust is true dual and I didn't notice any loss.

I talked to friends and read a lot about exhaust before I did it the first time and the result was that while you do lose horse power going the dual rout unless you are racing it ain't missed. I damn sure don't have any complaints about my current set-up I just ride.

As for what brand of exhaust I have the real answer is I don't know. They don't have any markings. I found them on craigslist for $150 had to add baffles (couldn't get the motor to run right without them) and put them on.

I am running a stock evo with a EV-27 cam, screaming eagle ignition, and S&S carburetor. I never could keep the CVO carb in tune but the S&S was easy to set right.

Attached Thumbnails My 1990 FLSTC 1340 Evo project-img_0872_edited.jpg  

Quick Reply: My 1990 FLSTC 1340 Evo project