EVO All Evo Model Discussion

My 1990 FLSTC 1340 Evo project

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:13 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Unfortunately for the OP, '95 was the first year the Softail frame got the left side mount for duals on the frame. My '94 lacks the left side mounting holes, and that's why I settled for the 2 into 1 pipes.

Harley used to offer a dual pipe setup for the older Softails, but it used a "mickey mouse" bracket for the left side that mounted to the swingarm pivot, and I didn't like the looks of it.

Mine also lacked the holes, I had to drill and tap them. What it looked like was that the flat circles were where they would have drilled a hole if they (Harley) was going to and the placement matched the other side.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Serialk1llr
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet, so its not as drastic as I thought. That makes the decision much easier since I had my heart set on the Samson setup.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:06 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Serialk1llr
Sweet, so its not as drastic as I thought. That makes the decision much easier since I had my heart set on the Samson setup.
It is very easy but you have to make sure you drill the holes exactly in the center (one of mine is off a bit). If you don't you have to fight with the pipe bracket to get the bolts started. You might have to make some spacers that will fit between the frame and the pipe brackett as you really don't want to use the bolt to suck the bracket to the frame (my left hand bracket broke twice before I figgured that out). I just bought a small piece of pipe and cut it down to size.

I am also thinking about going with Samsons sometime in the future.

Good luck with your build.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,481 Likes on 4,604 Posts

Some other things to keep in mind...

Since your bike is earlier than `94 and low mileage, it probably has the original belt and pulleys.

The early Evo`s had a problem with the front pulley nut coming loose, which caused the factory to make some changes to that area.

The upgraded pulley kit consists of a new design pulley, which is thicker at the spline area, a new pulley spacer, oil seal, nut, and a lockplate that is secured by two bolts.

The early Evo`s also had issues with the lifters, which also were upgraded by the factory. You definitely want to replace your current lifters, the factory units will give you good service.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:26 AM
FXD_One
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Serialk1llr
FXD_One, what kind of carb work did you have in mind? I had assumed as part of the install/project, having carb work done was a given (althought what to do and wherebl to send it, I'm still skimming the interweb for knowledge).

I'm so used to simply getting a new fuel map and maybe a tune, and bam, you're good to go.
Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
After the cam, you'll probably need to change up the carb jetting. That's the "carb work" implied. You could do some searching on the site here for similar setups and what needles they use, to give you a good starting point.

I used to hate EFI. Now, carbs are a PITA. With the Megasquirt stuff, (my Corolla, RN Truck, Dr.Linda's Sportster), it's just a matter of driving around, logging, adjusting the tune while you drive, or after you stop, etc. Too rich? Clicky-clicky, it's leaner. Kinda spoils you.
Sorry for the late reply,

After the installation of the Andrews EV 27 cam the carb requires jetting to run right as Dr. Hess has stated. As you can see from the amount of replies in your thread everyone in this forum is willing to provide useful advice to help you out.

In addition to the cam, high volume air intake and performance exhaust that I just installed I'm going to install a performance ignition module as well based on feed back from the many helpful people here.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The lifters in 1990 bikes are fine, but the pulley and trans seal behind it is worth bearing in mind. I've had my 1990 FLHS from new and it was a long time before the trans seal gave problems, so don't rush into things that don't need fixing! If you are, or start, getting an oil drip from the area of the front pulley that is the time to take action. The later parts are fine.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Serialk1llr
Intermediate

All the seals have been tight as drums, and never seen a leak or oil consumption. I believe the belt was actually recently replaced just as a precaution due to its age. I know such low miles and climate controlled storage will help stuff last forever, but a belt is much cheaper than a 100+ mile tow back home.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Serialk1llr
Intermediate

Thought I'd hop on to gloat a little. Since it's winter here in the Midwest, I've been less in a hurry sourcing parts as I don't have a full sized garage to work in. While scouring eBay to see if i could get a set of Samson pipes second hand, I instead found a set of V&H Big Shots Long for $120 shipped to my front door. At that price, I couldn't say no.

So while my dual fishtails dream is on hiatus, that freed up about $700 in my budget. I'm all set for a install and carb job come springtime. Can't wait to put the winter behind me and start riding again. I envy you guys in the Southwest part of the country.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:24 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

that's cool....run the V&H an keep an eye out for a deal on what you want. I picked up a set of bassani pro's for $75 shipped to my door. They are scruffy looking but a little wrap an they'll be fine until I find something I like more. I'm stockpiling parts too for some work. I figure by march it'll be warm enough I can work with just an electric heater.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:18 PM
Serialk1llr
Intermediate

Howdy Gang,
A few years and a few life changes has me back at the board. Since my original post I ended up going with a Zipper's CV Air Filter (P/# 117-090) at the recommendation of my local Harley mechanic. At that point I had my mechanic re-jet the carbs and called it a day while I saved some coin.

Flash forward to 2015 and I've started riding with a passenger again. My style of riding is 90% two-up, on state highways and back country roads (minimal interstate driving and I stay out of the big-city death traps all together), and under 70mph. My driving style also doesn't include any racing/hot-rodding either. Having a passenger has left me wanting more low/mid range power, torque specifically. I find it hard to keep up with the pack when we're out and about.

This naturally led me to consider more work on my baby and her power plant. That in mind, and a small financial windfall, I'm on to my next round of work. Goal is to keep the gas mileage efficiency good, maintain durability/longevity of the engine as much as possible, create more low/mid range power, and allow myself and my passenger to keep up with the pack and not cause issues due to under powered performance (not looking to be the leader, just need to keep up with the herd). I'd also like to keep the bike as vintage as possible and use HD and Squakin' Chicken parts. I'm open to non-HD branded stuff if the price differential is significant enough.

So, the next stage of the build looks like the below. Your opinions as to if my parts list will equate to my stated goals is much appreciated. (All part prices listed are the cheapest I've found so far)

Note: I will be having a port/polish and 3 angle valve job as well as cylinder machining to fit the higher compression pistons.

Screamin' Eagle Pro Evolution 1340 Cylinder Heads w/Black Highlights
P/N: 16854-98A / Price: $751.96

Screamin' Eagle 1340 Forged Pistons - 10.5:1 +.010
P/N: 22767-98 / Price: $249.00

Screamin' Eagle Valve Spring Kit
P/N: 18209-06 / Price: $119.00
(shim kit if needed - P/N 18226-03)

Screamin' Eagle Adjustable Pushrods
P/N: 17987-98A / Price: $103.96

Screamin' Eagle SE-57 Camshaft
P/N: 25754-97 / Price: $159.96

Torrington B-138 Bearing
P/N: B138-C11A / Price :$10.00

Screamin' Eagle High Performance Top-End Gasket Kit
P/N: 17046-98 / Price: $95.96

H-D High Tensile Evolution Cylinder Stud Kit
P/N: 16503-01 / Price: $39.96

Screamin' Eagle Performance Coil
P/N: 31653-97 / Price: $46.00

Crane Cams HI-4N Ignition Module
P/N: 8-6100 / Price: $200.00

Magnecor 8.5mm Harley-Davidson Plug wire set
P/N: 2511 / Price: $44.00

H-D Outer rocker covers (2)
P/N: 17528-92 / Price: $75.96

H-D Rocker cover spacers (2)
P/N: 17529-92 / Price: $59.96

H-D Inner rocker covers (2)
P/N: 17530-92 / Price: $108.00

H-D Breather valve gear
P/N: 25310-82A / Price: $7.50

H-D Air/oil separator
P/N: 25329-91 / Price: $4.00

H-D Head bolts, long (4)
P/N: 16478-85A / Price: $16.00

H-D Head bolts, short (4)
P/N: 16480-92A / Price: $15.00

Top End Overhaul Gasket Kit
P/N: 17040-92A
***I was not sure if this gasket kit was needed if the Squakin' Chicken performance gasket kit (P/N 17046-98) referenced above was used. Your advice here is appreciated

Thoughts?

And a pic of my baby....

Last edited by Serialk1llr; 07-14-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: My 1990 FLSTC 1340 Evo project