EVO All Evo Model Discussion

My 1990 FLSTC 1340 Evo project

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Serialk1llr
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool My 1990 FLSTC 1340 Evo project

So, I've been doing a lot of reading here and elsewhere the last few weeks into taking my stock FLSTC motor and breathing a little life into it. Like a lot of guys riding these older bikes, I'm looking into sprucing up the ol' betty and unlock some of its natural ability. Nothing crazy, just looking to make it come alive while me and the ol' lady are scooting around on the state highways. Definitely not interested in making a specific 'number', but rather working with what I got already. Budget total will be under $2000 as much as possible, however I'd rather do things right than skimp. I'm not married to MoCo-branded parts either.

My experience in carburetor-based engines is pretty slim, but I'm a decent study, and read a lot. I'm still sourcing my parts but have a working list below. Unfortunately, that money tree I planted this spring didn't take, so I get to buy my toys 1 at a time:

Stage 1
Air Cleaner: Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Evo Air Cleaner Kit (bought)
Exhaust: Samson Fishtails (modifications required)
Ignition: (ideas needed)
Coils: got a line on some Screamin' Eagle coils, but wouldn't mind some other suggestions

Stage 2
Cam: Andrews EV27
Bearing: Torrington Needle Roller Cam Bearing

Feel free to chime in if you think I could benefit from something I missed. Since I'm building my parts list, feel free to be specific. Also, I'm not sure if adjustable push rods, lifters, springs etc are needed, but educate me if you think otherwise.

I've trolled here for quite some time, now its time to roll up the sleeves and get greasy!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:43 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You might want to ask around and find a good indy and see what he thinks. Opinions are like you know what. Good info can be found from the sponsors here too.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I think the bad cam bearing came after 1990, but look that one up. Coil change will do nothing. A SE ignition, mild cam upgrade, K&N filter, and carb tune if you have a CV or change to a CV or S&S if not, will do wonders for you and be well under your two large budget.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:12 AM
FXD_One
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you willing / able to do the work yourself or will you be bringing it to a wrench?

Old 12-16-2011, 06:16 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

I would get adjustable pushrods just to save you from taking the rocker boxes apart, unless you are going in there anyway.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Serialk1llr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
I think the bad cam bearing came after 1990, but look that one up. Coil change will do nothing. A SE ignition, mild cam upgrade, K&N filter, and carb tune if you have a CV or change to a CV or S&S if not, will do wonders for you and be well under your two large budget.
Hey Hess, any idea how to determine without yanking everything apart if its a CV or Butterfly carb? I believe I read that it was a 40mm CV carb, but can't remember when or where I found that.

If nobody has that knowledge offhand, I can always yank the stock air cleaner off. But I'd need to know what to look for then as an identifying mark of what kind of carb is on there.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Serialk1llr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FXD_One
Are you willing / able to do the work yourself or will you be bringing it to a wrench?
I will definitely be wrenching myself. Got a buddy that tore his 2000 evo apart a year ago so i have some local assistance if needed.

The only way I am gonna learn is to get in there, and this shouldn't be too crazy a place to start.

The tune I'll leave to my local HD mechanic. Fortunately there are still some little mom & pop dealerships with great service and old wrenches working there, and the two guys running the service dept have been there since day 1.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Look down the throat and twist the throttle. Does something round go up and down? CV. Does a plate pivot across the middle? Butterfly.

You're gonna need the Official HD Shop manual. That should be your next purchase.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:23 PM
FXD_One
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Serialk1llr
I will definitely be wrenching myself. Got a buddy that tore his 2000 evo apart a year ago so i have some local assistance if needed.

The only way I am gonna learn is to get in there, and this shouldn't be too crazy a place to start.

The tune I'll leave to my local HD mechanic. Fortunately there are still some little mom & pop dealerships with great service and old wrenches working there, and the two guys running the service dept have been there since day 1.
Well good news then, all of the items you have listed above in your post is below your budget amount.

I recently had a Andrews EV 27, big sucker air intake, adjustable push rods, metal breather gear ( I know not on your list ) and the inner cam bearings checked and replaced and they replaced my primary chain which was stretched. This all cost well below your budget with a wrench doing the work.

If you throw in the exhaust and ignition your still below your buget.

I haven't ridden the bike since I had the EV 27 installed but it sounds great and it seems to be a favoured bolt in cam.

If I could make a suggestion, if you get all that done and still have a few bucks you'd like to spend on your ride, think about some carb mods / upgrades.

Thats where I'm going with mine now along with an upgraded ignition.

Last edited by FXD_One; 12-16-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Serialk1llr
Intermediate

FXD_One, what kind of carb work did you have in mind? I had assumed as part of the install/project, having carb work done was a given (althought what to do and wherebl to send it, I'm still skimming the interweb for knowledge).

I'm so used to simply getting a new fuel map and maybe a tune, and bam, you're good to go.

Quick Reply: My 1990 FLSTC 1340 Evo project