EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Best bike lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:41 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,683 Likes on 850 Posts

Found the Harbor Freight full lift for $289 that has been dependable for it's needs. Please don't take this personal, I treasure my bike #2 behind my family but wouldn't be able to sleep at night with a bike being held in the air by some of these jacks and usually a no fear type of guy but opening a door and the White Bike laying on the floor is a picture that I try to keep out of my head. Like I mentioned, view not directed towards anyone owning a listed jack just a little chickenchit coming out.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:57 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

I won't trust my beer on anything but a DirectLift:

Old 02-21-2015, 06:51 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,683 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by Hackd
I won't trust my beer on anything but a DirectLift:
You should of ended with "stay thirsty my friend"

The following users liked this post:
Sandhog (07-24-2017)
Old 02-21-2015, 06:57 PM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Pitbull. It works great plus it holds my FLSTC in the air for several months at a time with no issues whenever I am deployed overseas. Solid.

tar_snake (08-26-2017)
Old 02-21-2015, 07:00 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default For money

For,the money I thought red Sears was good to go.
But they don't make a trike lift so,went with J&s
Nice lift but $$$

So I would go,with Sears
Hap

Old 02-21-2015, 07:06 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by hapbob
For,the money I thought red Sears was good to go.
But they don't make a trike lift so,went with J&s
Nice lift but $$$
So I would go,with Sears
Hap
I never really understood spending thousands on a bike and then complaining about spending a few hundred on a good jack.

Granted I bought a HF jack when I first got my bike but that was because it was all I could afford at the time.
I bought a J&S just as quick as I could and it is definitely worth the money IMO.

tar_snake (08-26-2017)
Old 02-21-2015, 07:29 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,148 Likes on 6,212 Posts

I could use a jack but I am deathly afraid something would happen, knowing my luck, and my bike would fall off of it.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:17 PM
Ma56ck
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just now in the market for a lift. Appreciate the info. in this thread. Time to shop. 32 degrees and snowing in Oklahoma Mack

Old 02-22-2015, 02:59 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my HF table has held my Shovel and Twinky up reliably since I got it, but I always use the lock bar. I never leave the load solely on the bottle jack.

Sandhog (07-24-2017)
Old 02-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

The Harbor Freight hi-lift is a great jack, but it has some issues that might make it unsuitable for some folks if it's their only jack. It doesn't move with a bike on it; once you pull the wheels, the bike and jack stay where they are till you put the wheels back on. It has two stop positions, holes in the jack a large pin goes through. While you're jacking it, there are no incremental stops to catch the bike if something goes wrong. I don't worry about this, very unlikely, and I have had a bottle blow a seal with a bike on it. It just settled down real slow - till it hit one of those stops. Was that ever fun getting the bike off a stuck jack with the wheels in the air.

Positives - don't have to worry about the bike tipping over; you can pull a wheel and it won't try tipping the jack over. It goes high, over 30", and I found that to be great for my old back, being able to sit on a stool and have a clutch change at a comfortable height.

Apparently another negative - it's blue in that pic, and evidently blue is a more expensive color...

Originally Posted by Prot
I could use a jack but I am deathly afraid something would happen, knowing my luck, and my bike would fall off of it.
Don't care what kind of jack you get, if it isn't tied down, it can tip off a jack, kids and dogs have proven that. Tied down properly, the bike won't tip off the jack, but you can still have a jack go over sideways if you take too much weight off just one end of the bike; that's easy enough to compensate for if you think about it.

I have a frame with a motor in it on a jack this winter, need to roll it out of the way occasionally, but it's down off the bottle, too. I wouldn't leave anything sitting even overnight with just a bottle holding it, but all these jacks have stops that will hold the bike at various heights with no hydraulic pressure.

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Now that is one cool looking jack. If I didn't already have one I liked I would look into this one.
Nothing wrong with having a couple. I've had a jack situation come up when a bike was on a jack already; handy to have another one then. I use the HF hi-lift most of the time, but other times want one that can move the bike around. I'd really like a table lift, too, just don't have the room.

Kinda scary the first time you lift one all the way up. And the second time... third time...

Quick Reply: Best bike lift