EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Best bike lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:57 PM
Rocinante
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP - It seems like asking about the best jack/table lift is close to asking about the best oil! :-) Kinda depends on a lotta individual things. Yesterday, I took the plunge and bought the HF jack, although this one's not yellow, it's black. Pittsburgh's 1500-lb. version. On sale to start, plus I had the 20% coupon in Rider magazine. Got it home and easily set it up. Of course, it would not fit under the bike on the jiffy stand, but I knew that ahead of time. A 2x4 and a 1x3 under the stand were enough to let the jack slip under the frame. Scared "witless" that it would fall or tip, I straddled the bike while my wife raised the lift. To my relief, the settled nicely onto the pads. I got off, we hiked it up to the first locking position, lowered the ram to relieve the the pressure on it, and there she sits until spring. I only need it now to do a better job of cleaning the bike, although I may tackle cam and hydraulic tensioner upgrade next fall. Good luck with your selection!

Old 02-23-2015, 02:10 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocinante
Of course, it would not fit under the bike on the jiffy stand, but I knew that ahead of time. A 2x4 and a 1x3 under the stand were enough to let the jack slip under the frame.
You don't really need the boards, just pull or push a little on the handlbars to lift the bike just a hair as you push the jack under the bike. It won't take much effort at all. I have to do this for both my SG and softail. Strangely, my 09 Ultra had no problem with my HF jack.

Beary

Old 02-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

So how do you do it by yourself?

Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
So how do you do it by yourself?
I think what he was trying to say was to stand the bike up a little and the jack should slide right under.

That is what I have to do with mine since I lowered it a little.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:34 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I think what he was trying to say was to stand the bike up a little and the jack should slide right under.

That is what I have to do with mine since I lowered it a little.
Yes, that is what I was trying to say. Thanks for clarifying it.

Beary

Old 02-24-2015, 05:49 PM
fox chaser
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Went to HF yesterday. Downloaded a 20% off. coupon from their website ahead of trip. Got the (supposed) $299 hi-lift for $158, tax included. Don't think I really needed it, but had some money burning a hole in my pocket. Now, waiting for temps maybe 45 degrees warmer in the shop to assemble it.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:29 PM
jagermeister
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After much thought, I bought the J&S jack

Paid $469 total including shipping to NY and the oil drain pan accessory ($40 option). Used the 5% veteran discount

This video comparing J&S to Pitbull & Harbor Freight on youtube sealed the deal for me . . . . . even though the video looks to be pseudo advertising for J&S jacks, it still shows how superior their product is. You decide for yourself:

Old 02-25-2015, 06:04 AM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I've seen that video and have never managed to make my HF jack wiggle like that. Even with a bagger on it. Not sure what they did there.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:03 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
I've seen that video and have never managed to make my HF jack wiggle like that. Even with a bagger on it. Not sure what they did there.
I suspect they had someone out of camera range lifting up and pushing down on the front fender.

That said my J&S is a huge improvement on my HF jack.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
I got a yellow HF for an extra jack (cheap as a stand with coupons), actually pretty sturdy. My first jack was a Laren, and it wobbled bad with a 300 lb Honda on it, never even tried a Harley - so some jacks actually are that bad. HF changed jacks last year, don't know if the black one is as good as the yellow, doesn't look like it to me.

Quick Reply: Best bike lift