EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Early ('84-'95) mufflers on a '96 FLHTC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:21 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I came across the same problem this winter when I wanted to upgrade the pipes, I found a real nice set of header pipes and python muflers off an 06 for less than 200 bux. I know Robs used motorcycle parts has some great deals on full exhaust as well.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 526 Posts

I have a full headpipe set with heat shields, from an 06 twinkie that I'm not gunna use.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Idaho Scootertrash
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like a Staples commercial..."That was easy!"

On my '96, the headpipes ID were just a hair bigger than the OD of the mufflers. I cut my headpipes down about an inch so they would expand, and tapped em together with a leather mallet. Rather than clamping it, I welded 'em.

The Hookers have a great note and are unique. For $72 to my door, you just can't beat it!!

Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you gonna be able to slide the rear axle out to service the tire ?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I have an 08 SuperTrapp system on my 1990 FLHS, it bolted straight on. Bought my bike new and when the original pipes broke a second time I replaced them with a later set. We Evo owners will be fine until the market stops making set-ups for 08s!

Leave the flanged mufflers for someone who needs them! Must be others out there waiting for you to snap them up, that will bolt straight on.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Idaho Scootertrash
Advanced

Originally Posted by notlost_nc
Are you gonna be able to slide the rear axle out to service the tire ?
After I read your post, I had an "Oh sh*t!" moment! I had not considered that at all. After checking the answer is "Yes!".

The taper on the Hookers is pretty minimal until you get past the axle, then it takes off to the end diameter which is unlike most bagger mufflers that are the "full diameter" right after the coupling with the headpipes.

The whole works are getting ceramic coated now; can't wait to get 'em back and RIDE!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:14 PM
gfdgary
Novice
Question Head pipe flange cut off for late model slip ons?

I have a 93 FLTCU all stock. I kept my 07' EG Classic V&H slip ons because they had less than a 1000 miles on 'em when I got rid of the '07. I was looking at that flange where the original mufflers would connect too and was wondering if I cut off that flange the later model slip-ons look like they would just slip right on over the pipe. Using the wide clamp that came with the V&H mufflers looks like it would seal and support pretty well. Any ideas before I cut off that flange and then give an oh, $hit when it doesn't work?

Old 12-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Other people have done exactly that, Gary. The only negative I've heard is that you may need to keep an eye on the joint to make sure it doesn't come loose. Maybe some didn't tighten the clamp enough.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:35 PM
gfdgary
Novice
Default Head pipe flange cut off for late model slip ons?

Thanks Dr. Hess for the quick reply back.
Off with the flange tomorrow morning. While I have your brain, I'm new to carburetors on a bike (had fuel injection on previous bike) - If I put on the V&H slash cut slip-ons, do I need to re-jet the carb? Last time I re-jetted a carb was on my '69 SS 396-375hp back in '69. How about adding a K&N filter? And how do I select jets besides buying a few dozen and trying them out? Is there some book or forum that can lead me in the right direction for re-jetting if necessary?

Makes me want to wait before I do any mods on this old 80" EVO with only 35k miles on her. I'm the 2nd owner and the first one kept her immaculate and stock and I want to treat her the same except for some sound increase in the exhaust department.
thanks - gary

Old 12-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Changing the air cleaner and muffler may need some fiddling with the jets, or not. And, the jets may need fiddling now. Hard to say. I don't know what carb came on your bike or what's on there now, but this forum is the place to help you get it set right. I suggest starting a new thread describing what you have exactly and go from there. There are some really good carb experts on here. I know S&S Super E's OK, and MegaSquirt (which Dr.Linda has the only running Harley on MegaSquirt that I know of). The stock CV carbs are good. The stock butterfly carbs are poor paperweights.

Anyway, describe what you have and someone that knows your carb will chip in with some advice.

Quick Reply: Early ('84-'95) mufflers on a '96 FLHTC?