EVO All Evo Model Discussion

King Spoke (Fat Spoke) Wheels by Ultima

Old 05-05-2012, 08:45 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 352 Posts

Mine was a direct bolt on. I will tell you what I tell anyone who asks. Repack the wheel bearings. What comes with the wheel is totally worthless. The bearing will fail in no time if just install them as shipped. Other than that. Its a very heavy well built wheel. My chrome is holding up great as well.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:20 PM
cwhite6
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Ultima twisted spoke wheels in my build. The look really nice! I junked the bearings and races and changed them out to better ones. i also checked the endplay. One was ok and one required a couple shims. Can't wait to ride them.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:46 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by roxy1
Nice ride I am thinking about putting these wheels on my 97 Fatboy. Were these a direct fit or did you have to modify anything or buy more parts? I think my stock wheels are 3x16 and the Ultima wheels are 3.5x16

3" vs. 3.5" doesn't matter, same tire fits either rim. They were technicaly a direct fit. The front was perfect. I later noticed that although my belt tracked perfectly on the rear pulley, the rear tire wasn't aligned perfectly with the fender. So I shifted the wheel 1/16" to the left and it's now perfectly aligned.

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Mine was a direct bolt on. I will tell you what I tell anyone who asks. Repack the wheel bearings. What comes with the wheel is totally worthless. The bearing will fail in no time if just install them as shipped. Other than that. Its a very heavy well built wheel. My chrome is holding up great as well.

Like Bikerlaw says, be sure to check the grease on the bearings as you should with any wheel before mounting. I found that the bearings on both of my wheels had plenty of grease, so I didn't need any extra. But it's certainly good & simple enough to check.

Originally Posted by cwhite6
I have Ultima twisted spoke wheels in my build. The look really nice! I junked the bearings and races and changed them out to better ones. i also checked the endplay. One was ok and one required a couple shims. Can't wait to ride them.

FWIW: As of yesterday I've put over 1600 miles on mine so far and all is well. I'm using the bearings that came with the wheels and I really don't expect any problems with them. I do put my bike on the lift everytime I clean it and I check the bearing at that time as well. So far they're in perfect shape. I'm confident enough with them that I put many miles on them "literally" cruising through the middle of the desert.

In fact I took this pic yesterday when making a desert **** stop. Of course I do carry water, my cell & AAA card if things go bad.

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 10542
Size:  187.4 KB

Last edited by PanHeadRich; 05-07-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Raddazzz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

those wheels look great and so does your bike,, probably going to buy those wheels for my 97 heritage this winter

Old 05-08-2012, 01:31 PM
cwhite6
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich

3" vs. 3.5" doesn't matter, same tire fits either rim. They were technicaly a direct fit. The front was perfect. I later noticed that although my belt tracked perfectly on the rear pulley, the rear tire wasn't aligned perfectly with the fender. So I shifted the wheel 1/16" to the left and it's now perfectly aligned.

Like Bikerlaw says, be sure to check the grease on the bearings as you should with any wheel before mounting. I found that the bearings on both of my wheels had plenty of grease, so I didn't need any extra. But it's certainly good & simple enough to check.

FWIW: As of yesterday I've put over 1600 miles on mine so far and all is well. I'm using the bearings that came with the wheels and I really don't expect any problems with them. I do put my bike on the lift everytime I clean it and I check the bearing at that time as well. So far they're in perfect shape. I'm confident enough with them that I put many miles on them "literally" cruising through the middle of the desert.

In fact I took this pic yesterday when making a desert **** stop. Of course I do carry water, my cell & AAA card if things go bad.

I hope they last for you. As an engineer, my **** retentiveness cannot be stopped. So, out they went and in Timkin went. Those are some beautiful wheels. I may swap mine out for those in a couple years.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:37 PM
crossbones-08
Cruiser
Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts

nice wheels and bike

Old 05-08-2012, 04:57 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Raddazzz
those wheels look great and so does your bike,, probably going to buy those wheels for my 97 heritage this winter
Thanks guys. I'm actually pleasantly surprised with their quality at this point. They seem to be a great bargain at the price. By winter we should have a much better idea of their quality, once a have a few thousand more miles on them.

Originally Posted by crossbones-08
nice wheels and bike
Originally Posted by cwhite6
I hope they last for you. As an engineer, my **** retentiveness cannot be stopped. So, out they went and in Timkin went. Those are some beautiful wheels. I may swap mine out for those in a couple years.
Yeah, I hear ya. It would have been easy enough to swap them out, but I just wanted to see if they would go bad. If they last all summer, I'll pull the bearings out of the wheels next winter for a good inspection & repack. But for now, I'll just keep running the **** out of them

Old 05-15-2012, 10:59 PM
ta2dup
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

running the same ones, only issue i ran into was when you order a dual disk front, it is the hub width for a bagger not for a dyna wide glide with dual disks, wich explains why you dotn see a caliper on the right side.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:52 AM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hrmmm. I've needed new wheels since I bought my '93. They have some rust on them and it looks like the PO banged the front wheel into a curb or something plus there's a bit of a shimmy to the front, prolly from being hit. The price of aluminum wheels for motorcycles is ridiculous and I always have a hard time spending $3K on a pair of wheels, especially when I put four 15x8 chrome aluminum wheels on my Jeep plus four 35x12.50 mud terrains for $1K. I'd rather put $3K into a big motor.

I never like cleaning spokes, but they do look good on a Heritage. For this price, I may have to try a pair out.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:42 AM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Running twisted spoke Ultima's as well. Like others said I repacked the bearings and had the end play checked at the dealer. For you guys that replaced your bearings what kind of bearings did you go with? I have considered replacing mine just for peace of mind.

Also (and I should know this). When I put the bike on my lift how is the best way to check the bearings. Just listen for anything?

Last edited by 2006FLST; 05-22-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: King Spoke (Fat Spoke) Wheels by Ultima