EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oil blow from crankcase breather

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:18 AM
myneksred
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil blow from crankcase breather

I recently rebuilt my engine on my 1994 FXSTS and now i am experiencing excessive oil coming from my crankcase breather. i have stretched the springs in my oil pump and still have the problem i was wandering if antone would has any ideas as to what would be causing the problem.
Hillbilly

Old 03-07-2012, 05:34 PM
blair
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your oil tank may have to much oil in it ..... take a little bit out . You dipstick may read full , still take a little bit out

Old 03-07-2012, 05:46 PM
tc
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like oil breather, cam and pinion gears may not be aligned correctly.

Attached Thumbnails Oil blow from crankcase breather-untitled-1.jpg  
Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Bama91
Tourer

Is it blowing at idle or on the road? Is it an aftermarket breather that you attached yourself? If it is positioned where air blows into the breather while riding it will not breathe and build up pressure and blow oil out when the pressure overcomes the outside force. Try repositioning the breather so wind pressure isn't against it while riding.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:59 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What was stated above plus are the umbrella valves sealing?? What kind of rings and how many miles on the rebuild?? How hard are you riding it?? Are you sure the rings are in right side up and gapped properly??

Old 03-08-2012, 07:48 AM
myneksred
6th Gear

Originally Posted by miacycles
What was stated above plus are the umbrella valves sealing?? What kind of rings and how many miles on the rebuild?? How hard are you riding it?? Are you sure the rings are in right side up and gapped properly??
There is 200 miles on the rebuild. It is blowing at idle. I have not been riding hard following the break in period rules not overreving or let the engine chug. all the gaps are right and the rings are in properly.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 AM
myneksred
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Bama91
Is it blowing at idle or on the road? Is it an aftermarket breather that you attached yourself? If it is positioned where air blows into the breather while riding it will not breathe and build up pressure and blow oil out when the pressure overcomes the outside force. Try repositioning the breather so wind pressure isn't against it while riding.
the breather was on the bike when i bought it. i do not have breather heads on the bike. will try repositioning the breather.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:55 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Your bike should be a top breather. If your bike is a bottom breather, there is a piece of plastic that is a seperator that takes the oil out of the air going out of the breather. It goes in the tube that is in the gearcase below the breather gear. Is that in place???

Last edited by miacycles; 03-09-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:01 PM
myneksred
6th Gear

Originally Posted by miacycles
If your bike is a bottom breather, there is a piece of plastic that is a seperator that takes the oil out of the air going out of the breather. It goes in the tube that is in the gearcase below the breather gear. Is that in place???

WHere is this peice of plastic located do I need to Pull the cam cover to see it?

Old 03-08-2012, 04:46 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Yes it is inside the cam cover, to the rear and slightly below the breather assembly. It is a round tube that goes horizantly through the case.

Quick Reply: Oil blow from crankcase breather