EVO All Evo Model Discussion

newbe here

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:41 PM
02maddness
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbe here

Just baught my first 93 FXSTC. Chromed out with custom paint and many many other options on it. it has some pretty nice upgrades on it. has the hypercharger and Martin Brothers exhaust and a mild cam with the Stock CV carb. my next question is i want to get ride of the CV and go with a mikuni or S&S super. just tired of the Spitting in the carb at part throttle in town. that and more Adjustment is always nice ya know.
Ive been round Harleys, dirt bikes etc all my life and i finnaly got one. im not wanting to break the bank on a carb because im on a budget. would like to find one that eather needs to be rebuilt or what ever. anyone here have any suggestion?

thanks Drayke

Old 03-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Yeah, don't buy a used carb. In my experience and observations, carbs are removed from running vehicles because they have a problem. Then they get sold. If you want a different carb, get a new one. But a lot of people have good results with just properly tuning the stock CV. It sounds like yours needs that, or a rebuild.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:27 PM
02maddness
Stage III

the shop i baught it from said he didnt think the guy changed the jets on it. so i called Dallas Chop Shop and they said pull it apart and the low jet needs to be a 32 and the main needs to be a 185 or 190. it does have the plug knocked out so you can adj the air fuel. i tweaked it alittle bit to fatten her up and it helped alot. thanks for the tip.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by 02maddness
the shop i baught it from said he didn't think the guy changed the jets on it. so i called Dallas Chop Shop and they said pull it apart and the low jet needs to be a 32 and the main needs to be a 185 or 190. it does have the plug knocked out so you can adj the air fuel. i tweaked it Little bit to fatten her up and it helped alot. thanks for the tip.
42 is the stock slow jet. With an intake cam and exhaust you would probably want the slow to be a 48. I just had a custom CV carb built for a very similar setup and the shop installed a 50 slow and a 195 main. I had been running a 48/190 and sometimes a 195 with good luck, but the new setup seems to be working excellent.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:23 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Stick with the CV , there has to be a reason they still use them even on the shiny Twinkies.

Count how many turns out the air/fuel is set at and turn it out another 1/4 turn and I bet you ll notce big diff.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:56 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, the CV is a good carb. Get it tuned by a pro if you cant and you'll save alot of $$$. Alot of old shovelhead riders convert to the CV carb. If you gotta spend the $$ get a Mikuni HSR. It is slightly better than a CV but it will also need to be tuned to your bike. Might as well tune your CV and spend your $$ on beer!!!!!
jim

Old 03-31-2012, 09:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There's no substitute for skilled input. There is also no certainty that a new carb will work any better, without skilled input. If you can't sort out your CV yourself, don't change it! Go to someone who can sort it for you - you'll probably ride home wondering why you didn't think to do that sooner!

Old 03-31-2012, 10:09 AM
02maddness
Stage III

Originally Posted by grbrown
There's no substitute for skilled input. There is also no certainty that a new carb will work any better, without skilled input. If you can't sort out your CV yourself, don't change it! Go to someone who can sort it for you - you'll probably ride home wondering why you didn't think to do that sooner!

you know what your right lol.
im going to start with a 50 slow and 195 main and go from there.

Me ive tuned the carb as much as it will alow and it has gotten much better. but i want it right. thanks for the input guys.

ride easy fellas

Old 03-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Might as well tune your CV and spend your $$ on beer!!!!!
What he said!!!

The CV is a good design, there is very little that may wear out that can't be easily and cheaply replaced. Most issues I've seen have been dirt and improper jetting-(basically, someone screwed it up).

Doug