Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Id say it's time to pull the nose cone and see
What's going on.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:57 PM
stujoe
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i tryed to kick the timing back a bit and used high octane fuel...didnt use the timing light just moved the plate a bit...seems to pull harder but the noise didnt change...bike pulls pulls hard to 75 mph...or 120 k up here...lol.the noise dosent seem to be load related..it makes the same noise if i back out of it or pull hard on the throttle.i was thinking it might be harmonics in the valve train...the ev27 is at the limit to a bolt in cam at 495 lift...week valve springs..???.just a thought going thru the noodle...could be too much lash between the cam gear and the crank like the blob was sayin..btw did you use the new cam gear on that cam or did u switch it over from the old cam?

Old 05-13-2012, 01:31 PM
stujoe
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking

well i found out what was making all my racket...pulled the rocker boxes off and found that the rockers and the valves had some wear in them...but in doing that i pulled the threads out of the back spark plug in the head!!! ****...oh well pulled the rear and frnt head to pull the valves out...these head had been worked over by a very reputable shop here in vancouver...thanks jarz...nice flow work...but couldnt get the exhaust valve out of the head..??..found that it was carboned up half way up the valve and had to beat it out of the head.lots of carb cleaner and scraping to get it clean....suspect when it got hot it would hang up in the head causing that tapping noise to come and go as the lifter was trying to compensate for it sticking...jugs look good. 124 bucks for gaskets and 100 for heli coil kit 150 buck for buddy to clean up the heads...100 bucks for liquid assembly fluid cheap fix...not changing head studs...gonna big bore it next winter anyway...just wanna ride...guess thats what you get when you buy a use bike that was abused and little oil changes.....oil is cheap!!!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:37 AM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stujoe
it has that same kind of noise right around 2500-2800.dont want to start a oil pressure thing but at idle is 10 psi and at 2800 is 13 or so.... timing is at 35*
Harleys don't have oil pressure. They have oil flow/volume. One reason not to install an oil pressure gauge. It will only scare you and not give you any useful information unless it is always reading 0 and by that time, it's too late.

Last edited by 95yj; 05-14-2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: missed bracket in the quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

Update....

As I was messing with the bike.....the Y-pipe was cracked! I've had it welded 3 times now and everytime it broke....it broke in a different place. So, I went ahead and replaced it with a new one. The new one is thicker and heavier than the old one.

The L-tab bracket above the starter was broken....so replaced that bracket.

Everything is new now and didn't hear any knocking at all.

The weird thing....the oil pressure light only comes before starting. It then immediately goes off. It was coming on if it was any less than 1000 RPM....anyways, it is acting just like it should.

From someone elses post....I was also having a very gassy smell. Well, the cracked Y-pipe was the problem here.

Anyways, I think the bike is fine now. No knocking and the oil pressure light is working like it should.

If the Y-pipe cracks again, I'll be going to true duals. It is amazing how many problems a cracked Y-pipe can cause.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:51 AM
Jethro
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOrider
Update....

As I was messing with the bike.....the Y-pipe was cracked! I've had it welded 3 times now and everytime it broke....it broke in a different place. So, I went ahead and replaced it with a new one. The new one is thicker and heavier than the old one.

The L-tab bracket above the starter was broken....so replaced that bracket.

Everything is new now and didn't hear any knocking at all.

The weird thing....the oil pressure light only comes before starting. It then immediately goes off. It was coming on if it was any less than 1000 RPM....anyways, it is acting just like it should.

From someone elses post....I was also having a very gassy smell. Well, the cracked Y-pipe was the problem here.

Anyways, I think the bike is fine now. No knocking and the oil pressure light is working like it should.

If the Y-pipe cracks again, I'll be going to true duals. It is amazing how many problems a cracked Y-pipe can cause.
It is always very helpful to post a follow up like this. Thanks, and I hope you have a great summer riding.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 AM
dwatkins
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95yj
Harleys don't have oil pressure. They have oil flow/volume. One reason not to install an oil pressure gauge. It will only scare you and not give you any useful information unless it is always reading 0 and by that time, it's too late.
Yeah, I have a oil pressure gauge that was on it when I got it and from time to time it gives me a scare. It works good until on a nice hot day when I'm setting at a light, look down and my heart skips a bit when it shows zero. But I bump the throttle a little and it jumps back to ten!! Oh well though I guess I'll leave it on for now.