EVO All Evo Model Discussion

97 Fatboy - Need some front blinker wiring help

Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Detroitdemo
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Fatboy - Need some front blinker wiring help

I bought a 97 Fatboy with 16" apes and no front blinkers. The control wires are routed through the handlebars. After riding this bike for a couple of years, I decided that I really want front blinkers so I bought a Kuryakyn light bar with blinkers. I also picked up their universal wiring relay kit for the spot lights so I don't anticipate I'll have problems there but I don't know where to tie the new front blinkers into.

Under the seat, I have a load equalizer hooked up to the back blinkers. There is a brown and violet wire coming from a harness under the seat that run through the load equalizer and into the back blinkers. Can I just tie the new front blinkers into those wires before the load equalizer or is there another harness somewhere for the front blinkers that I'm not seeing? Will I need another load equalizer for the front?

I really appreciate any help anyone can offer. I do have a shop manual and wiring schematic but because the original front blinker wires are MIA I'm a little nervous about where to tie the new blinkers in. Does anyone know where the original front blinker wires come from? I just assumed I'd find a harness with some wires clipped but haven't yet.

Thanks Again! Ride American and Ride Safe!!!

-Detroitdemo

Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my Brother's 96 softail custom the wires go into a connector under the speedo. his bike is still at my house (waiting on paint) if you want I can go out and look where they connect to the back.

The connector is on the right side (in pic) just below the key switch and back about 1 inch. Maybe he just disconnected it there?

best I could do.

Attached Thumbnails 97 Fatboy - Need some front blinker wiring help-wrenchin-neil-s-bike-022.jpg   97 Fatboy - Need some front blinker wiring help-wrenchin-neil-s-bike-021.jpg   97 Fatboy - Need some front blinker wiring help-wrenchin-neil-s-bike-024.jpg  

Last edited by Scratt; 04-24-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Detroitdemo
Stage IV

Thanks a lot Scratt. I can't wait to get home and pull the dash panel off. I hope it's still there!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Scratt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroitdemo
Thanks a lot Scratt. I can't wait to get home and pull the dash panel off. I hope it's still there!

I'll be home all day (laid up) so if you need to see where it goes into the box in the back let me know I'll take more pics.

Hope it is that easy though

Old 04-24-2012, 11:27 AM
cwhite6
Tourer

The spotlights will either need to be ran off the yellow low beam light on the headlight thru a toggle switch or with a dedicated hot from the battery through a fuse with a toggle switch. The FL softail headlights have a yellow from the headlight that goes directly to a toggle switch. The other connection on the toggle goes to the spots. This keeps the spots from being on while the high beam is on. You should have a violet and brown up front somewhere the previous owner cut and hid. These will come from your handle bar switches to your turn signals. I will try to go home during lunch and look at my manual for the wiring diagram and verify the wire colors. Do you have a manual? If not, shoot me a PM and I will try to scan the wiring diagram for the front of the bike and email it to you.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:55 PM
cwhite6
Tourer

I looked in my manual. You should have a black, blue and brown for the left and a black, blue and violet for the right. The black goes back to ground. The blues are tied together on the other side of the plug and go back to the fuse for the lights. The brown and violet go back to the turn signal module. I scanned in the wiring diagrams. PM me a good email address and I will send them to you. Also, by reading the diagrams for a 97 and 98, apparently on the 98 models the reversed the brown and violet. Kinda screwy.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Detroitdemo
Stage IV

Thanks cwhite. I do have the manual and I also bought a universal wiring kit for the spot lights through kuryakyn that has a switch and a relay. Not sure what the toggle was originally for on my bike but it now powers up a couple of led lights so I figured why not put a whole new switch on. I like the setup but the switch is a joke because it doesn't have a mount and the instructions call for double sided tape to mount it. I figure I'll just replace it with a real switch.

I'm glad you explained that because I wasn't sure how it was supposed to work with the high beams. I have not had a chance to dig into it yet and it's killing me. Still sitting there with the light bar mounted and the wires dangling but I will get on it after the weekend.

Thanks again. I'll be sure to post some pictures of it when I'm done.

-Detroitdemo

Old 05-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Detroitdemo
Stage IV
Default All done!

Thanks for the tips, they were all right on. This is it!

Attached Thumbnails 97 Fatboy - Need some front blinker wiring help-detroit-s-fatboy.jpg  
Old 05-08-2012, 01:58 PM
cwhite6
Tourer

Looks nice man! Glad it worked out for you.