EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Starter gears grinding?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Dyna7
Tourer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Starter gears grinding?

When i go to start my bike it just sounds like the inner starter gears are grinding and nothing is catching, bike wont start at all, any ideas?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Dyna7
Tourer

ok so after going into further examination, i pulled the primary cover and watched the jackshaft as i engaged the start and it is just a ridiculous grind, not normal, and its just continuing grinding, when i take the pinion drive off the grinding goes away. when its on and engages it just grinds the hell out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkZiK...ature=youtu.be

Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

The coupling is coming out too far when the starter runs.....like the spring is in the wrong place or has broken or something like that.....the pinion is bouncing off the ring gear by the looks of it.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 AM
Dyna7
Tourer

so i also noticed, i order a jackshaft kit and the pinion drive is way bigger than this one, did the p.o. change the innards on the primary? why?

Old 06-28-2012, 02:11 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may want to take it apart and reassemble, they can be a bit tricky as there so spring loaded and there's a key way that has to be in there just so so.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Dyna7
Tourer

Well if the previous owner swapped the pinion drive and the starter gear for ones with smaller teeth wouldnt that cause it to be harder to roll the motor over?

Old 06-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 90GAsoftail
Well if the previous owner swapped the pinion drive and the starter gear for ones with smaller teeth wouldnt that cause it to be harder to roll the motor over?

Some people gear down their starters, especially if they fitted a big bore or stroker kit and hot cams.

If your coupling is a smaller diameter than the hole it fits into then either the coupling has been changed or the coupling bushing is missing from the inner primary.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Dyna7
Tourer

yea the coupling has been changed bc it wobble all around the primary, the options im thinking are a new coupling bushing, which would have to be figured out for that coupling size and primary hole, or a new coupling, but i couldnt use a new coupling because of the pinion drive size.

so my question is, should i just order a new starter gear since i already have the stock jackshaft assembly, plus my starter gear and jackshaft are pretty much destroyed (i.e. chipped teeth)

will the stock starter gear still work on my bike is the question

Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

You need to measure the coupling diameter, check to see if there is even a bush in the hole and then go mesure the stock parts......might just be a missing bush, which would be an easy fix.

Agreed that your pinion doesn't look too pretty.....

Old 06-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Dyna7
Tourer

yea its missing teeth, since i already have the new jackshaft assembly im wondering if i could pick up a stock clutch basket and maybe all the discs would fit in that one?
because the starter gear is destroyed too, will 89 fit this one? if im not mistaken 90 was the different year. Looks like i might be hitting up a couple shops this weekend and see if anyone has one lying around

Quick Reply: Starter gears grinding?