Aftermarket Exhaust for 1988 FXRS

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Devon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Exhaust for 1988 FXRS

Howdy folks...

Got pulled over by a cop today because apparently my pipes are louder than bylaw allows. Now I'm in a pickle trying to find aftermarket pipes to fit a 1988 FXRS that will run under 92 decibels within the next 30 days--or run the risk of having the bike impounded.

Not a lot of options out there for this model from what I can tell... and I haven't had any luck on ebay or craigslist so far.

Curious if anyone has any suggestions.

Any suggestion or advice would be appreciated!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Devon
6th Gear

I should specify that I'd prefer not to have the crossover tube, which I've found here: http://www.cycle-shack.com/cycle/ago...d=MS-123&xm=on

Old 07-04-2012, 08:21 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have hooker pipes on my 90 fxrs-sp, local leo has a fit on loud pipes. Ended up playing with different styles of baffles until I found something to suit him. Just a thought, good luck.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:18 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I was thinking you might be able to get buy with adding baffles to the pipes yo have on it.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:41 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you check "used vancouver"? should be lots of guys selling their stock stuff on there. I have a set of slash cuts here with the balancing tube installed. they are baffled & both pipes mount on the right hand side. Don't know what the decibel would be though.
Hatch.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Devon
6th Gear

Thanks guys... Yeah the more I look, the more baffles seem like they are the cheapest, if not simplest option out there at this point.

Thing is, I took the bike down to Trev Deeley here in Vancouver and they said they couldn't put baffles into my pipes. I've got slash cuts on the bike right now.

I'm wondering now, why they would have told me they couldn't put them in.

The baffles you guys have in... Are they bolted in? Or welded?

Old 07-05-2012, 01:37 AM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Elvis' on ebay does a lot of salvage parts on FXRs, but can be a pain to deal with from what i have heard. I never bought parts from him but he always seemed to have rare FXR parts. Maybe an Original exhaust. SuperTrapp made one with tunable baffles.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Ramona
Cruiser

What pipes are on it now?
Are you able to put aftermarket mufflers on?
My '92 FXRS has the stock exhaust system, including mufflers ..... mufflers are shortened, and the baffles are bolt in. Baffles are my design, made at a muffler shop in Duncan, and tested on the dyno.

If you could obtain the FXR header pipes with the cross-over, there are many aftermarket mufflers that can be quieted down enough.

Did the cop 'read' your sound with any instruments, or just his 'know-it-all' judgement on your loudness?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Devon
6th Gear

Ramona... Yeah he pulled me onto a side street and busted out the decibel meter. As for mufflers, the pipes that are on the bike are one-piece slash cuts. Not sure what make.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:50 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had Python Slash Cuts on my 86 FXR. They had no baffles in them at all, so a mate just made some out of a piece of pipe. We then drilled a hole in the pipes to match the front and rear of the baffle, drilled a matching hole in the baffle and then welded nuts onto the baffle so we could bolt it in place. All fixed!. You may be able to purchase some generic aftermarket baffles and tweak them to fit your pipe diameter - thats probabley the easiest solution that i can think of.

Not that hard really and I ended up leaving them in as the bike ran better with them.

If you have turnout ends then you may have problems sliding a baffle in.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Exhaust for 1988 FXRS