EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Flushing the engine out

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:09 AM
MDodson
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flushing the engine out

Is there any benifets to flushing the engine out. I have around 45-50,000 miles on my TourGlide. Every time I change the oil it still looks dark. What can I use to flush it with and will it do harm to the engine? I'm getting any debris in the oil it's just looks dark.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:22 AM
HarleyGyrene
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MDodson
Is there any benifets to flushing the engine out. I have around 45-50,000 miles on my TourGlide. Every time I change the oil it still looks dark. What can I use to flush it with and will it do harm to the engine? I'm getting any debris in the oil it's just looks dark.

Used oil will ALWAYS look dark and new oil will darken pretty quickly. I have never flushed an engine: used to flush just the oil tank before we had any filters on them. Just keep the oil & filter changed on whatever schedule you have decided on, and ride ! I change mine every 2500 miles and always use a HD filter, but that's just me.

EDIT: If you want the actual reasons just Google "why does my oil turn black"

Last edited by HarleyGyrene; 07-28-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I am a strong believer in NOT flushing an engine out. Use a quality oil and change it on schedule.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,494 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Another vote no on flushing the engine or oil tank.

The oil will look black when it comes out, because the dirt is coming out with it.

Your engine will be fine with nothing but regular oil and filter changes at the mileage specified in the owners manual.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:26 AM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I haven't done it, but have heard of guys that when they change their oil, they pull the return line, put it into a container an start the bike an let it idle until it come out clean. Shut it off an put the return line on an top off the oil.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Although I've not done it, my owners manual says to remove the tank and clean out the sludge with kerosene. I think todays oils probably don't sludge up the way they used to though.
Also if your oil doesn't turn dark, the detergent package isn't doing it's job.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Nostalgia_93
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MDodson
Hi!

For next oil change, do a scavenging session (This thread explains how to build a homemade tool. Read below for commercial tool versions.) and you'll be real happy with the results. You'll get rid of 24-32 oz of contaminated oil that will mix with new oil otherwise. After checking it myself, I won't go back to regular oil change method.

It's incredible watching all residual oil leaving the bike, and seeing the new oil on the dipstick keeping so transparent after riding on following weeks.

Cheers,

Cheaper version:
Contaminated Oil Removal System (CORS)

Review HRBW TECH - Bike Works March 2006 Issue

Scavenger Demo (starts 1:50)

This is what I took out from my bike @ 10 days ago... This video is just the scavenging session, the oil had already been changed and fully refilled to level. After finishing, I refilled again oil to reach level.

Today, I checked levels and the oil is still cristal clean, the bike runs so smooth. :-)

Last edited by Nostalgia_93; 07-28-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,494 Likes on 4,611 Posts

There is no benefit to scavenging the oil during an oil change, oh wait, there is a benefit...to the company that invented the contraption.

Yes, there is some oil left in the crankcase. It is not contaminated with metal shavings or anything like that. An oil analysis would show that oil with 5K on it is still fine.

I work on multi-million dollar aircraft engines, you won`t see any oil change scavenging done on them.The only time we change oil on a jet engine is if an oil sample shows a problem. We simply drain and fill, no scavenge silliness.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:33 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We had a customer that bought one of those contraptions and he replaced lifters and cam bearings a lot more often than our other customers. When we told him about it he said "Imagine how often I would be changing them if I didn't!!!". He totally drank the Kool-aid!!!!!!!
John

Old 07-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Nostalgia_93
Cruiser

Hi guys!

I think this topic always gets naysayers and supporters. I don't think both parts will ever agree! :-)

I'm sure that the engine won't suffer from not scavenging (as demostrated by years regular maintenance), but in my opinion, if possible, it's better to change all oil than mixing new with some old oil that has lost it's properties. The dipstick proves it will last longer at good shape. That doensn't mean that regular change is bad either.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Flushing the engine out