EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Upgrading from a 22 amp system to a 32 amp system.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:59 AM
elev8rguy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading from a 22 amp system to a 32 amp system.

Hey fellas,

I just have a question on charging systems. I have to replace my stator due to a short to ground and was thinking of upgrading to a 32 amp system. Has anyone done this before and are the plugs from the stator to the regulator the same? Just from the searches i have done they look somewhat different. I know I will have to replace my stator, regulator, and my rotor, but the 32 amp systems started in 1988. I have a 1987 FXRS and there lies the my predicament. Just not sure if this will work. If anyone has done this please give me a shout. Oh, what do you guys think of the molded stators? I've read they run hotter because the coils are encapsulated. Thanks fellas!!

The weekend is coming and Betty needs to get ridden! lol!!

Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Yea just replace it all with 32 amp gear and it should work.
88 was 22 amp I think but 89 on wasn't maybe.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:30 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get the kit!

The rotor and voltage regulator need changing out to move to 32 amps, not just the stator! New rotor will have a spleen to lock it to the crank. The old 22 amp rotors had just a round hole and they were notorious for loosening up and causing issues by slipping on the crank.

Be sure to replace the washers exactly as they came off to maintain the alignment of the primary chain.

Odds are you'll need an impact wrench to remove the compensator bolt and the clutch hub nut when disassembling. Compensator is right hand threads, counter clockwise to remove. Clutch hub nut is left hand threads, clockwise to remove. Be certain the clutch hub bolts stay in the same hole grouping when putting back on. And you will need a wedge to hold the gears (lock them in place), while you loosen the bolt and nut.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 08-29-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:24 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

You don't need a impact wrench to get your compensator nut off. I used a 5 foot piece of pipe.
Also a piece of steel bar stock braced between the compensator teeth and the clutch hub teeth works better than a wedge in my opinion.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:51 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I attempted to use a breaker bar. Granted it wasn't 5 foot. I strained so hard i lifted my feet off the ground (leaning over the bike). Something in my chest gave way and it felt like I had broken a rib or two for days, also I whacked my back out real bad. I'll take an impact driver any day.

Now many will step up and say that using an impact driver is bad, especially if you have one that "hammers". There's seals and crank damage possibilities, or so I've heard.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:02 AM
elev8rguy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input fellas. I've dug into my primary a few times, once to replace my crank seal and again for my drive belt and tranny seal. I'm not too worried about the repair, it's just the compatibility of the new gear.

Does anyone have the molded type in their scoot? What do you guys think of that thing? I found some 32 amp sets on ebay for around $140 to $270. Does it matter that much to spend the extra cash on an Accel versus a Harley or Ultima?

Thanks, elev8rguy

Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
I attempted to use a breaker bar. Granted it wasn't 5 foot. I strained so hard i lifted my feet off the ground (leaning over the bike). Something in my chest gave way and it felt like I had broken a rib or two for days, also I whacked my back out real bad. I'll take an impact driver any day.

Now many will step up and say that using an impact driver is bad, especially if you have one that "hammers". There's seals and crank damage possibilities, or so I've heard.
Actually I think an impact wrench is the best way to go but the first time I took apart my bike I didn't have an air compressor big enough to run the impact wrench I went and bought for the occasion.

If you want to use an impact wrench you need a decent sized air compressor and a good impact wrench (somewhere around $400 for both).

All I am really saying is that an impact is not necessary but it is way easier.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:00 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by elev8rguy
Thanks for the input fellas. I've dug into my primary a few times, once to replace my crank seal and again for my drive belt and tranny seal. I'm not too worried about the repair, it's just the compatibility of the new gear.

Does anyone have the molded type in their scoot? What do you guys think of that thing? I found some 32 amp sets on ebay for around $140 to $270. Does it matter that much to spend the extra cash on an Accel versus a Harley or Ultima?

Thanks, elev8rguy
Cycle electric is what you want to use if you are going to do the upgrade.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Accel makes good coils and plug wires, not stators. I put one in my FXR and saved a buck. Cycle Electric in my opinion will save you money in the long run.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:06 AM
ZBear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. Ditto on the Cycle electronics. Put the 38 amp, 3 phase in this winter. A bit more than other brands but likely best investment I have done so far. Voltmeter hardly budges off constant 13.8 volts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading from a 22 amp system to a 32 amp system.